TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › safe list
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

safe list

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Ok I'm frustrated with this food thing. I was just about to get Neko and Willie their first type of wet food which was going to be Natural Balance. Now since that has been recalled, that idea is out.

So I want a list of HIGH QUALITY (no purina or meow mix or that type, no offense to those who feed it but I don't like it)foods NOT made by Menu, that does NOT share a plant with menu EVEN if the plant was not involved in the recall. I'm looking for wet foods but if the brand had any types of food involved in the recall then I don't want to feed it. My cats are currently on Felidae dry food but I want some wet. So I need a list, I was going to feed Innova but now I've been told that shared a plant with Menu so I don't want to risk it, what should I feed?!
post #2 of 28
Have you tried merrick?

While i haven't much success with my 3 liking it as far as i know their is no association with menu.

Chicken soup also makes a wet, fromms?

Since they like the felidae, have you tried their wet styles?

I'm not too much help with the wet foods, as i am still trying to find some myself, since the menu recall wiped out my wet food[Nutro/Max]
post #3 of 28
Another one is Evanger's.

http://evangersdogfood.com/cat/

I think there is a store locator on their site.
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
well I've heard some negative things about where Merrick's food is made on my dog forum so I'll pass with that but thanks for the suggestion!
I've heard the chicken soup gives many cats very stinky poo. I've never heard of Fromm but I'll look at it. I'll look at Felidae too, has anyone had success feeding the wet?
I've never heard of Evangers but it turns out they sell that at a store close to me thanks!! I'll look into it more.
post #5 of 28
My cats didn't seem impressed with the Felidae chicken & rice, but I have heard the opposite from others. Just depends on the cat, I guess. Mine prefer the Felidae with several meats in it (chicken/turkey/lamb/fish??...can't recall, it's something like that).
post #6 of 28
Why not trying the felidae wet food chicken and rice formula! My older cat would only eat dry food and I was actually able to convert him over to this formula! My kitten loves this formula as well!
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie23 View Post
Why not trying the felidae wet food chicken and rice formula! My older cat would only eat dry food and I was actually able to convert him over to this formula! My kitten loves this formula as well!
See...your mileage may vary . My cats are probably just weird.
post #8 of 28
Its worth the expense of one can to give it a shot! Cats are very finicky versus dogs... I've decided! Tiger is very picky Im suprised he tried it... It took alot of work and patience! I can't wait to eventually try other formulas with him and the kitten!
post #9 of 28
I would first see about Evangers ... then Felidea ... then Solid gold( a fav around here)

there is a thread on this

it is a short list.. but add By nature and blue spa
post #10 of 28
It might help to have a look at the "safe" food list that has been compiled.

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/

One by one, just go through and cross off any mentioned Menu associations and any food you know for sure is garbage. After that, just try to research the rest and see what's in your area. A little time consuming, but you may get an extra possibility out of it.
post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys! this helped a lot at least I know what to look for now and I can get all those foods around here (thank god for pet world).
post #12 of 28
Going to thepetfoodlist.com (as has been suggested) is the best idea. I printed the list and went through it separating the MENU from NON MENU foods. Then I went through the Non Menu list, checked the ingredients of each, and made my choices from that. Unfortunately, Natural Balance was one of those choices, and now look whats happening there. The list I came up with is very short.

From my personal experience:

Both my cats (even the one who is very very picky) seem to love the Evangers and Spa Select. They liked the Natural Balance too, but I'm not giving that one to them right now. Spa Select I found at Petsmart, but the Evangers I had to order from PetFoodDirect, since I can't find any local place that carries it.

I just got 2 cans of Felidae to try. I tried them on it before ages ago, and they didn't like it, but I'm going for it again. If they do like it, one of the local stores has told me they can order it for me by the case.

My guys didn't like Chicken Soup (even the one who will eat just about anything I put in front of him).

I think Fromm is a chunks and gravy style food (or shreds and gravy), which my cats personally don't like (thank heaven), so I've never tried giving it to them.

Solid Gold Tuna is manufactured in Thailand - which was a deal breaker for me. Not that I know anything about the manufacturing process in Thailand, I'm just trying to stick to US grown and manufactured right now. I haven't tried any of the other flavors, because I can't find that locally either. If I could find one or two cans locally, I would try it. I don't know if it's chunks or loaf style.

Good luck! Isn't this all just a nightmare?
post #13 of 28
My kittens are all on Felidae and they absolutely LOVE it. I have them on both chiken/rice and Lam formula. I would try a can and see if your guys like it.
post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
ok so how much more expensive do you think Evangers is than Natural Balance? It's kosher would that make it more expensive?
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Ok I'm frustrated with this food thing. I was just about to get Neko and Willie their first type of wet food which was going to be Natural Balance. Now since that has been recalled, that idea is out.
Just to clarify, the NBalance wet has not been recalled - only the dry.

NB website: "Although the problems seem to be focused on one particular lot, as a precautionary measure, we are pulling all dates of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food from the shelves.

Please discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food."
post #16 of 28
Misty~

You have done a lot of work

Although I have heard good things about Solid Gold, I never have tried it. Mainly because my cats, as odd as it may be, don't like canned tuna flavors. Which has always been sooperdooper with us

But I also like your point about sticking with US products. It's too uncertain now and hard enough to know what is done in our own country let alone worry about everywhere else. JMHO.

I have one picky dude here, I'd say bordering on the pathological. He is *starting* to come around today after 3 days of sulking and refusing to eat but a bite of whatever I have tried.

That said, I hear nothing but positives regarding Spa Select and Evangers. I am just working with what I have, nothing of which is on any recall, voluntary or involuntary *sigh*

Really, at this point, I am as sure as I can be all 5 are healthy; my pickier ones just have to deal. I can't hover about and try every brand there is. The stress is absurd and I know cats are in tune to us watching and waiting!
post #17 of 28
Evangers at least in my area runs about 10-15 cents less a can than Natural balence
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Evangers at least in my area runs about 10-15 cents less a can than Natural balence
Oh well that's good! Now I was reading the ingredient on some of them and some contain Menadione which I don't like. The one I like is under gourmet classic cat dinners. The chicken one looks good it does not have the Menadione and does not look to have any ingredients that I like to avoid. The only thing is I think I'll have a hard time finding this exact formula so maybe I'll just go with Felidae, we'll have to see if I can find Evangers first. I'd prefer to be able to feed all the formulas of Evangers but I don't want to feed menadione (I'm super picky, I know but this is important to me). I have to go check the Felidae ingredients and see if they have the ingredients that I like.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Oh well that's good! Now I was reading the ingredient on some of them and some contain Menadione which I don't like. The one I like is under gourmet classic cat dinners. The chicken one looks good it does not have the Menadione and does not look to have any ingredients that I like to avoid. The only thing is I think I'll have a hard time finding this exact formula so maybe I'll just go with Felidae, we'll have to see if I can find Evangers first. I'd prefer to be able to feed all the formulas of Evangers but I don't want to feed menadione (I'm super picky, I know but this is important to me). I have to go check the Felidae ingredients and see if they have the ingredients that I like.
Menadione Is a Vitamin... as long as it isnt first in the list or viatimins and minerals I dont worry about it ..I do have my doubts about those claiming not to use it It is fine to be picky ...
post #20 of 28
The title of this thread is fast becoming an oxymoron
post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 
Today i went and picked up two cans of Felidae and we'll see how they like it tomorrow. Thanks for all your suggestions!
post #22 of 28
The scary thing is that menu doesn't produce natural balance... diamond pet foods does. (If anyone remembers they recently had a recall too) Solid gold is also made by diamond so I dont know if I trust them anymore either.... This food recall is getting really scary...
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty14788 View Post
The scary thing is that menu doesn't produce natural balance... diamond pet foods does. (If anyone remembers they recently had a recall too) Solid gold is also made by diamond so I dont know if I trust them anymore either.... This food recall is getting really scary...
Do any of the Solid Gold formulas have any kind of rice protein or rice flour in them? If so, I would definitely be cautious. Diamond said they got their rice protein from an American company, and I wouldn't be surprised if it made it into other brands.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarcello View Post
Do any of the Solid Gold formulas have any kind of rice protein or rice flour in them? If so, I would definitely be cautious. Diamond said they got their rice protein from an American company, and I wouldn't be surprised if it made it into other brands.
Yes, I would be primarily concerned with avoiding the quesitonable ingredient, rather than the manufacturer. Of course, cross-contamination can be an issue, but my main concern is the INGREDIENT in question, regardless of where the food was manufactured.

My #1 rule ...avoid wheat gluten
My #2 rule ...avoid processed rice
post #25 of 28
Thread Starter 
but the food I just bought has rice and so does their regular dry food. I really like their food and I don't think there are any foods without rice. Is there a difference between rice and processed rice or is it all the same? I'm so sad
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
but the food I just bought has rice and so does their regular dry food. I really like their food and I don't think there are any foods without rice. Is there a difference between rice and processed rice or is it all the same? I'm so sad
To me, it's a lot different. When it comes to "processed" rice, I would tend to think that the pet food manufacturers receive huge shipments of an already processed product...that's made who knows how many stops from where it REALLY came from, ALREADY processed...and very vulnerable to containing mystery contaminants. Whole rice is whole rice...it seems safe to me, but that's just my interpretation of the facts.
post #27 of 28
Thread Starter 
How could I find out if Felidae is using the same rice as NB?
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
How could I find out if Felidae is using the same rice as NB?
RIght now I would say call the company but the likehoos is they wont know
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › safe list