I require a new dry food

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since one of my kibbles was the DVP venison. I am now down to only the DVP ultra premium.

I have tried many brands, felidae, solid gold, Fromms duck ala veg, chicken soup etc, innova evo.

I did pick up some wellness core last night, my boys seem to at least try it my girl wouldn't.

Any other suggestions would be great, TY

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
**I just want to mention that every time we attempt a food change, especially a dry food, we do run the risk of causing more tummy confusion. This can be very frustrating, especially at a time when people are hyperalert, looking for signs of illness. **

Some cats are just more stubborn than others and refuse a new food. Their digestive symptoms are so much more tentative than a dog's. It's hard to know if they actually do not like the food, if the food disagrees with them, or if they are just being stubborn.

It can take repeated attempts when you are trying to switch over to a new brand of dry, and mixing with an accepted food can help.

As for suggestions, I have heard good things about Blue Spa & Eagle and mixed reviews about Nutro. Right now I am working with Natural Balance Ultra dry, Chicken Soup for Cats, and Purina One (a past loved food which seems to ease the transitions).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jpawz

**I just want to mention that every time we attempt a food change, especially a dry food, we do run the risk of causing more tummy confusion. This can be very frustrating, especially at a time when people are hyperalert, looking for signs of illness. **

Some cats are just more stubborn than others and refuse a new food. Their digestive symptoms are so much more tentative than a dog's. It's hard to know if they actually do not like the food, if the food disagrees with them, or if they are just being stubborn.

It can take repeated attempts when you are trying to switch over to a new brand of dry, and mixing with an accepted food can help.

As for suggestions, I have heard good things about Blue Spa & Eagle and mixed reviews about Nutro. Right now I am working with Natural Balance Ultra dry, Chicken Soup for Cats, and Purina One (a past loved food which seems to ease the transitions).
Thanks. They used to be on nutro until the recall started and i then transitioned them to the natural balance foods. The one male was quite fond of the venison but since the latest problem with it, of coarse it can no longer be fed.

I notice all 3 are very into the smell of a food, if they don't like that they will not touch the foods..

It's funny because my other cats now since passed were not super fussy, the one certainly had strong likes and such but the other was a Garfield i swear

I may try the wellness indoor kibble, this core has a very strong fish smell, and that could be the turn off there

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I am
about the Nutro so haven't gone that route yet.

Jenny just posted about success with Solid Gold dry in the NB recall thread.

I think at least one of my cats is in total tummy confusion right now and looks at me resentfully

Actually, all 5 are having their own reactions to the food switching.

You just can't please them all

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jpawz

Yeah, I am
about the Nutro so haven't gone that route yet.

Jenny just posted about success with Solid Gold dry in the NB recall thread.

I think at least one of my cats is in total tummy confusion right now and looks at me resentfully

Actually, all 5 are having their own reactions to the food switching.

You just can't please them all
The nutro is a tricky one, i mean i cannot deny the cats were fine on it, they were raised on it, the breeder also used that food[among others] BUT the menu recall with their wet foods left me feeling time to look for other brands.

I have some solid gold, i was trying it before the DVP issue came up, but nobody seems all that impressed

Your right you can't please them all lol, it's hard to get 3 of them to agree on one thing.. kinda like my kids

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

Royal Canin is a good dry food worth trying!!
Thanks.

In the past i have used RC but i wasn't all that pleased with the ingredients for the price so i stopped.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

Your right you can't please them all lol, it's hard to get 3 of them to agree on one thing.. kinda like my kids
I had to laugh; between the 5 cats with the mysterious window marking over the last few months, the food recall scares and food switching confusion *AND* my 2 toddlers and their ... toddlerhood (heh), Oh and selling the house/building a new one, I basically have a headache 24-7.

I think many of us are trying foods that we read is liked and trusted by another, then we find our cat doesnt like it or has issues and it becomes a very frustrating cycle.

And some cats just never take to premium foods despite the higher quality. Many *do* but it takes patience and creativity.

It really sucks. All of this. While it's always good to be aware of what we are feeding our pets, this chaos, fear, and confusion is...I have no words

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

before the recalls started i had the guys on a mix of nutro indoor senior & iams original because of that same issue. it was a kitty buffet.
i think if i have to change kibble again i will have to do a mix again.

i'm waiting and seeing what happens with the NB (i feed ultra dry). they've been eating it for about 3-4 weeks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My vet only carries hills SD.
Ask them if they know a local vet that has it .. MOST vets will order but in this case that wouldnt help you.. I live in a small town of 23000 and two of the four vets I know carry IVD ... Next town over that goes to 10 that have it

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Ask them if they know a local vet that has it .. MOST vets will order but in this case that wouldnt help you.. I live in a small town of 23000 and two of the four vets I know carry IVD ... Next town over that goes to 10 that have it
Their the only vet in my town, the other closest town also only sells hills.. it seems it has the market here

Copper doesn't require an allergy diet he just seems to have a real taste for the venison, if worse comes to worse i may just pull out my leftover natural choice indoor cat kibble
but first i will give a few other brands/flavors a try before i "go there"

Thanks for the suggestion though!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Their the only vet in my town, the other closest town also only sells hills.. it seems it has the market here

Copper doesn't require an allergy diet he just seems to have a real taste for the venison, if worse comes to worse i may just pull out my leftover natural choice indoor cat kibble
but first i will give a few other brands/flavors a try before i "go there"

Thanks for the suggestion though!
WELL The indoor IS SAFE...lol.. I have been feeeding the NC kitten through all of this ...

venison is simliar to lamb if that helps you

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

WELL The indoor IS SAFE...lol.. I have been feeeding the NC kitten through all of this ...

venison is simliar to lamb if that helps you
lol, yeah i know.. i guess it just really concerned me with their wet foods being recalled, well all the ones i was feeding that is, i probably am being overly concerned by taking them off of it

and thanks i did not know about the venison being similar to lamb..