what should i do about cats next door?

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
my neighbor has two declawed cats. one is a manx and the other a maine coon. she never lets them inside because they have "issues" ever since she had a baby (16 months ago) . since i live near a large nature preserve with coyotes, the cats now just huddle outside her door all day crying. this cruelty uis starting to really get to me. what would you do. someone suggest I rescue them, but i dont know. ( this is the newly moved in neighbor i dont get along very well with if you recall.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How can someone be so cruel is it still cold there? I would be crying my eyes out for them, I would sure as heck would call someone. Or just plain ask them is they don't want them anymore then maybe you could find homes for them.
I saw 2 Cats in the shopping center parking lot tonight and I can't quit thinking about them I cried all the way home, they don't deserve to live that way it isn't right. Like my neighbors Pup they never let her in and they never talk to her or anything, what on earth would you want with them there supposed to be part of your family.

Oh and
Diana how are you doing
I have been taking care of my Beautiful Cammie shes been pretty Ill, so I haven't really been on a lot lately

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leaving declawed cats outside with coyotes around is unexceptable!! You could talk to them, or if you are not on good terms, call the humane society and have them contact her. Maybe advice coming from an authority would have a bigger impact than advice coming from a neighbor. Do you have a place you can set up for a shelter for them for now? Even a cardboard box with a blanket in it would be better. Are they getting fed? Oh, the poor babies!

It amazes me how some people treat their pets. I just breaks my heart sometimes.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Besides going round the house and confronting her about the ill treatment of her cats and removing them
I would go to the humane society too. I cannot believe how some awful awful people treat there animals. Also the other suggestion to maybe set up a shelter for them and offer them some food if they haven't been fed. At least something to keep them warm and a little bit more secure. What a hideous woman.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
To be honest Diana they sound like the kind of people who wouldn't even miss
the fact that they're not there anymore

If they have dumped them out because they have ' issues' then they sound like the
kind of scum that would be glad to see the back of them.
But oh!! they are not decent enough to sign them over to anybody...why?..because
they still ' belong ' to them.
People like that like to think they are in control and animals are their ' property'.

I personally would not talk to them about it,because you already know what kind of
people they are,and when....oops
I mean IF somebody snatches those cats to
give them a better home then the police won't be knocking on your door.

good luck

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm. A manx and a Maine coon you say? If it were me and I knew I could:
1. afford it and
2.get away with it

those cats would be SO mine(no matter what kind they were)! That nasty lady doesn't deserve her cats and if you do happen to aquire two new cats, well I'd say micro chip them, register them, and all that good stuff and then if the police come around you can always tell them they are your cats and have proof of ownership. Then that nasty witch can do NOTHING about it. Poor kitties.
If you don't feel comfortable in taking those poor kitties, then call the humane society, they don't deserve to be treated so poorly. At least the will get a chance of having good homes instead of a horrible one like they have now.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the Humane Society as soon as possible because if anything happens to either of them you will feel horrible. Obviously this person no longer wants the reponsiblity that comes with adopting animals. How anyone could leave a declawed cat outside is beyond me. I don't agree with declawing but I know that some people have what they believe are good reason's for doing it.

This person doesn't deserve to have these cats, and believe me there are tons of people out there that will jump at the chance to give them a good home if they go to a shelter.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would rescue them and tell her a coyote must have gotten then if she doesn't care so much. Or call the humane society

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do the cats have food, water and shelter? If not, then it is, by law (in most states) called neglect or abuse.

I would definitely call the humane society and find out the legal implications. Perhaps you could, at the very least, have them removed by the authorities. Or you could take the poor babies in yourself, and either find them homes or turn them over to a no-kill to find them loving homes that they obviously lack now.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladycat

I would rescue them and tell her a coyote must have gotten then if she doesn't care so much. Or call the humane society
Goop idea
Then mabye she will feel bad thinking its her fault they got mauled by coyotes.

Obviously, they would be safe and sound with you until they find REAL homes.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like Heidi said, if they don't have food/water/shelter....in many states that is illegal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
the neighbors put out dried food for them so I suppose they are not committing any actual crime, however heartless i think the people are. My husband has been really strong about my NOT getting involved.

as for the cats, they will probably become coyote food before summer is over even though when she first moved in (when we were stilll speaking) i told her there were coyotes in the preserve half a block away. I guess she doesn't care. and my husband says coyotes have to eat too. (arggggggggh)

it makes me feel crummy to see someone behave this way but i it reminds me to love my cat all the more and be lucky I saved her from the shelter.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

I personally would not talk to them about it,because you already know what kind of
people they are,and when....oops
I mean IF somebody snatches those cats to
give them a better home then the police won't be knocking on your door.
My thoughts exactly. If she ever comes by your house and sees the cats there, just tell her they've rehomed themselves, and you figured since she had left them out as coyote bait, she wouldn't care!