TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Pet Food Direct
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pet Food Direct

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Guys--

Last Friday, April 13, I ordered the Natural Balance Venison & Pea dry cat food (as a first time orderer and a first time to try the V&P).

Then todays NB voluntary recall news hit.

I spent the last few hours on hold with Pet Food Direct, hoping I could do something to stop my order (that is like, impossible in the internet ordering world).

But looks like PFD is on ahead of us. I spoke to the nicest, most compassionate woman who explained all recent orders with the NB recall food, caught in time, will have that item removed for shipping. And they are working on emailing/contacting anyone who made recent orders of Natural Balance.

They are slammed with phone calls, as one would imagine. It was just nice, in the midst of this red hot mess, that PFD is understanding, patient, and *NICE*
post #2 of 20
I second the thumbs up for them. I've been ordering from them for a while, and they are really great with customer service and timeliness on orders.
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik View Post
I second the thumbs up for them. I've been ordering from them for a while, and they are really great with customer service and timeliness on orders.
I had never ordered cat food online before. With all the conflicting issues, and a lack of finding the food I wanted at stores, (and an online coupon) I decided to try it. We have moved to a more rural area than what I am used to and I am thankful the option exists.

Now to find the *PURRFECT* cat food online....Mission: Impossible
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpawz View Post
I had never ordered cat food online before. With all the conflicting issues, and a lack of finding the food I wanted at stores, (and an online coupon) I decided to try it. We have moved to a more rural area than what I am used to and I am thankful the option exists.

Now to find the *PURRFECT* cat food online....Mission: Impossible
If you find purfect let us all know:-0
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
If you find purfect let us all know:-0
We can dream, Sharky.

Tonight's dinnertime was totally

Cat#1, one of the cats that was 'off' after switching to NB Ultra dry had to be brought down to eat. Once he got a whiff of his FF wet he gobbled (I caved, but I did try to mix first with NB dry--he walked away, disgusted!)

He seemed weak and I knew I had to get him to eat (cats arent stubborn or anything). Then he was perky, drinking water, playing...

Cat#2 who was fine on the NB suddenly is catcotting it.

Cat#3 who behaved like the NB was kitty gold now refuses to eat ANYTHING but the canned or dry NB or CHicken Soup.

Cat#4 who previously was 'off' after the switch, chowed down the NB dry, and the remainder of everyone else's and is now happily playing with his rings.

Cat#5 hasn't determined what the hell she wants/likes

Ahhh such is the evening of a food switching cat household

I will wake up tomorrow and none of this will have happened, right?
post #6 of 20
I just started ordering Nature's Variety Raw Instinct dry food through Pet Food Direct, and except for a recent glitch in their shipping confirmation email server, so far I am pleased with their service.

And, I am very pleased with the food as well.
post #7 of 20
PetFoodDirect will let you return any order for any reason. But you do have to pay for the shipping (both ways)
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
I was browsing the PFD site earlier and it's reeaalllly s-l-o-w. I assume they are slammed with ordering, and trying to go through existing orders?

I thought they would have made a statement on the home page by now, if they are indeed working to edit some orders (that had recent NB V&P).

Petco and PetSmart can irk me.

I am really starting to miss the feed stores that were all over the place before we moved.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpawz View Post
We can dream, Sharky.

Tonight's dinnertime was totally

Cat#1, one of the cats that was 'off' after switching to NB Ultra dry had to be brought down to eat. Once he got a whiff of his FF wet he gobbled (I caved, but I did try to mix first with NB dry--he walked away, disgusted!)

He seemed weak and I knew I had to get him to eat (cats arent stubborn or anything). Then he was perky, drinking water, playing...

Cat#2 who was fine on the NB suddenly is catcotting it.

Cat#3 who behaved like the NB was kitty gold now refuses to eat ANYTHING but the canned or dry NB or CHicken Soup.

Cat#4 who previously was 'off' after the switch, chowed down the NB dry, and the remainder of everyone else's and is now happily playing with his rings.

Cat#5 hasn't determined what the hell she wants/likes
i'm glad i've only got 3 that pull that. i jinxed myself by buying a case of NB chicken pate and merrick turducken. now only raven will eat the merrick. and stimpy is the only one who likes NB. nabu thinks all "healthy" food is yucky. and they are demanding FF or Friskies for breakfast or there's minimal eating of wet food all day.

i feel like this icon --> and a little bit of this one -->
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleraven7726 View Post
i feel like this icon --> and a little bit of this one -->
I am *so* with you there. Mealtime around here is like rocket science. Throw in a "I HATE EVERYTHING" almost-3yr old boy and it's GOOD TIMES!

But like I just said somewhere else, I am at the point where, having determined everyone is healthy as can be verified, any picky/stubborn eaters will have to deal with it. I will make sure everyone is fed but I am not hovering while you twitch your whiskers at me! This aint Vegas and I am not a buffet!

Ok well I am not really that hardcore, lol. But I have to take a more even keeled approach though or else I will lose my marbles.

Basically I will rotate a few items and if they're hungry enough they will eat it eventually! Grayboy is digestive-challenged and notoriously broody and sulky. I know his game!

After refusing most food over the last 3 days, he just tried to dive into my chicken, bean, & rice burrito. I shared, he is now licking his chops. So there ya go!
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpawz View Post
Basically I will rotate a few items and if they're hungry enough they will eat it eventually! Grayboy is digestive-challenged and notoriously broody and sulky. I know his game!
LOL! that's pretty much what i have to do. if they have the same flavor too often they will stop eating it altogether. i think i'm going to have to restock my "junk food" flavors this weekend. nabu is notoriously picky at our house. he's so bad he taught stimpy how to be finicky. what a brat.

have you tried the new Pro Plan Selects? my finicky crew all liked the Salmon & Brown Rice last night. gobbled it all down. and it's not pink, no by-products either. it's one of the few salmon flavored things i've found that they all like and stimpy can hold down (pink food - think FF- comes back up).
post #12 of 20
I feel your pain. After trying what feels like every canned cat food produced without wheat gluten, plus a few raw foods, Tailer and Harvey finally deigned to eat Ultramix. I also jinxed myself by stocking up on it last weekend...now Harvey won't eat it at all and Tailer's decided it's not so hot either. (At $1 a can, this is getting expensive.) I've ordered another food to try from Pet Food Direct, and it can't get here soon enough.

God bless Forest, who'll eat ANYTHING.
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Oh lordy. I would not want to be working phone lines or stock at PFD at the moment. I am holding off any online ordering (to avoid ordering entire cases) until I can get to a feed store about 30miles away this weekend. I know they have Eagle's, Merricks, Chicken Soup, and Nutro...they might have more now. I am actually eager to try Felidae.

And of course the more we try the more stubborn/confused a cat can get.

I have to say, I had shelved some of my FF wet cans but am bringing them out just to get appetites back for a couple of my cats.

Some cats who refuse food for a couple days actually lose the 'verve' for it--you have to trick them, even if it means forcing a finger tip's worth in their mouth. Then it's all "OMG WHAT IS THIS DELICIOUS STUFF? OHHhhh! FOOD! MMM!"

Littleraven--I have not tried the Pro Plan Selects, and hadnt' heard much about them before. My cats aren't fish fans so I tend to avoid any fish flavors. But who knows anymore, at this point.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpawz View Post
Littleraven--I have not tried the Pro Plan Selects, and hadnt' heard much about them before. My cats aren't fish fans so I tend to avoid any fish flavors. But who knows anymore, at this point.
there was a chicken & brown rice flavor, but they all snubbed it. petsmart had the new pro plan selects, and they just updated the Pro Plan website today if you want to read about them. there are 3 canned flavors, the ingredients are pretty good. the dry food doesn't look great though--it has wheat gluten in it, among other things.
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
The PFD site is out of stock on Felidae wet, among a few others I think.

Orders must be skyrocketing.
post #16 of 20
"But like I just said somewhere else, I am at the point where, having determined everyone is healthy as can be verified, any picky/stubborn eaters will have to deal with it. I will make sure everyone is fed but I am not hovering while you twitch your whiskers at me! This aint Vegas and I am not a buffet!"


That is the funniest line ever.
post #17 of 20
Don't tell PHX that there are other kinds of cat food out there. He only knows Purina... and that's all he's ever going to know!! Oh, besides his Pounce cat treats of course !!!!
post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckatz View Post
"But like I just said somewhere else, I am at the point where, having determined everyone is healthy as can be verified, any picky/stubborn eaters will have to deal with it. I will make sure everyone is fed but I am not hovering while you twitch your whiskers at me! This aint Vegas and I am not a buffet!"


That is the funniest line ever.
: What may or not be funnier is that I actually *said* that to all 5 cats.

Ayep. I am losing it.
post #19 of 20
I am very pleased with Pet Food Direct's customer service this week. I've tried to call them a few times, and when their lines were busy and I sent an email instead, they got back to me very quickly. Not only are they refunding my credit card for the NB venison and green pea without me having to send back the bag, NB has offered to send a free replacement of any of their products! Since I've switched my cats to Solid Gold and I don't want to switch them again, I decided to get a free bag of NB Ultra to donate to my local shelter.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpawz View Post
: What may or not be funnier is that I actually *said* that to all 5 cats.

Ayep. I am losing it.
i have told my cats on several occasions in the last few weeks "IT'S EDIBLE!!!! EAT your food. look raven's eating it. i KNOW it's EDIBLE!"
of course, they walk away twitching their tails anyway.

so you're not the only one that's losing it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Pet Food Direct