Is it shedding season?

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't believe how much my cats are shedding lately. I am picking up and vacuuming little tufts of fur every day! Maybe it's the weather getting a little warmer? I have all long haired kitties so their fur gets really thick during the winter and now they seem to be shedding so much more than usual. Maybe I don't brush them enough? Do you think a good brushing more often will help with this?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well its the same in my house and with 4 cats, theres dust bunnies rolling all over the place
I brush 3 of mine as my latest addition Teddy is having abit of trouble settling to the idea of a strange thing whizzing over his coat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know, my one cat Fluffy (the fluffliest of them all) tries to bite and scratch the cat brush when I brush him. He doesn't hate it but he thinks of it as play time more than anything. lol

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cat has been shedding more than usual as well.... And I'm from Arizona- so I don't understand it's warm here year round. I really don't think he would be shedding his "winter coat"... hmmm ?

cntrygrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have read that indoor cats shed year round....outdoor cats seasonal? my kitties are always shedding and they are indoor only.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my kitties always shed but not as much as seasons change
When the seasons change u better watch out, cause the hair is coming and going everywhere
For the most part i do brush them daily well blue and stormie i have issues with cause htey think its playtime, and well the others love it but no matter what they still shed and get hair everywhere, u should see the sweater I am wearing right now
im covered in cat hair, all of my hoodies are like that too
Also about outdoor cats only shedding seasonally well thats not true imo because my willies indoor outdoor and hes sheds all the time, but when seasons are changing its crazy
but its the same for the others as well!

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cntrygrl

i have read that indoor cats shed year round....outdoor cats seasonal? my kitties are always shedding and they are indoor only.
This is true. I believe much of the explanation is because during the winter months, artificial lighting is on much more in darker hours.

Shedding is natural of course, but it's also directly proportional to levels of light exposure/intensity (along with breed types, hair length/density/, etc).

Indoor cat have both artificial lighting and heating mechanisms which affect shedding.

One of my cats is just starting to 'pull' 'old' 'winter' hair out, which is alarming to see, but it's not the same as excessive grooming (OCD). She has done this every year, starting around this time, whether or not I brush her.

Hard wood floors have been a blessing
The fur of 5 cats eventually form nice neat tumbleweeds along the edges, all the easier to swiffer or dyson up!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it is shedding season in most regions as the days get warmer and longer ...

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh gosh yes. my 3 are shedding more too. Nobody can pick up one without looking like a ragdoll themselves afterwards

I just keep combing and thanking the dyson company for making the animal vacuum so i can get it up off the floors.. we're all carpet here.

missy ro-ro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats have been shedding more lately too, well not Chloe, she's a short hair and hardly ever shedds. But Anya's hair is a bit different, I wouldn't say she's a long hair, but she shedds alot. I jsut try to brush her some everyday, even though she doesn't really like it. The more hair I can brush away the less she'll ingest when grooming. Hopefully that'll mean less hairballs!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is losing his winter bloomers at the moment - he's a shorthair but I've been joking that he's shorthair on top and mediumhair underneath he got so fluffy round his tummy and back legs. It's mostly undercoat with him, his undercoat is longer than his topcoat if that makes sense

But yes balls of white fluff everywhere right now.

Indoor cats do shed seasonally, but I think not as quickly, so it seems to be going on for a while.

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yes it is shedding season in most regions as the days get warmer and longer ...
It's odd because Poe is a Short Hair, but for the last month he has been shedding like crazy. I can groom him for 20 minutes straight and still there's more hair. And the next day he'll be leaving tufts behind again.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes, it is that special season...Bella left me a nice big hairball on the carpet yesterday as a reminder. She won't let me brush her, so she's yacking it up...Stan looooves the brushing and he's been hairball free so far. He does, however leave little tufts of Stanley all over the hardwoods...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

I used a furminator deshedding tool today on the cats.

There was hair everywhere, especially on me. I have never seen that much come off in one session. If I wasn't sure if it was worth it, I am now. Unbelievable.
Amazon has them on sale now too. I paid full price at Petsmart a while back.
http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Med.../dp/B000FSFNVI

~Rhonda
I dont know petsmarts price but the local store had it cheaper than petco so I too bought one////

YIPPY ... Kandie loved the feel of it and I got a quarter cat off in just about 10 minutes

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

I used a furminator deshedding tool today on the cats.

There was hair everywhere, especially on me. I have never seen that much come off in one session. If I wasn't sure if it was worth it, I am now. Unbelievable.
Amazon has them on sale now too. I paid full price at Petsmart a while back.
http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Med.../dp/B000FSFNVI

~Rhonda
oh, interesting.. glad to her a proper review. I saw one back a few months ago in a store but just wasn't sure if it was truly worth it.

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I just got one for our cat after I saw my mother using one on our 70 lb dog (you would not believe the quantity of fur; it was actually like the photos on the Furminator website). We haven't been able to use it that much since Audrey is recovering from a spay, but it definitely works!

It just pulls the undercoat and shedding fur right up to the surface. Amazing. Also, she seems to like the feeling. I wonder if the slight tugging sensation is similar to when they wash themselves.

We got ours from an e-bay shop for 22.99 plus 5.00 shipping.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe it is shedding season, I have been finding cat hair in my food.

I also gave my cats baths which is easier than brushing.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the furminator!! I get enough hair off of Stan to knit a sweater (which would be soft, but --yuck
).
Bella would have nothing to do with it and tried to bite it. I've had some luck with the zoom groom on her, but I have to bribe her with kibble or she growls

Stan is a year-round shedder, Bella really seems to have stepped it up a notch since it has been warmer.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm another satisfied Furminator user!! Wow...it really works as advertised! Well worth it IMO.

They seem to tolerate it better than most other combs and brushes too.