Feeding Ferris treats: funny but frustrating

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's such a good boy, and I'm very lucky to have this little love-bug in my life.

He has a funny little trait that I wonder if anyone else's cats do: When I am offering him a treat, he HAS to mark it first before accepting it from me by rubbing his upper lips on it.

It sort of cracks me up, but at the same time it is frustrating, because while he's rubbing his face on the treat I'm holding out, Ginger is sitting nearby patiently waiting to receive one as well. I'm sitting there saying, "C'mon, Ferris, just TAKE the thing!"

I can't offer them to her first, either, or he'll step in between us to rub his lips on the treat I'm offering her! Then she gets upset and leaves, poor baby girl.

On top of that, I want him to take the treat from me directly, and his rubbing up against them sometimes gets a bit strong, so that he literally knocks it out of my fingers! That makes me nuts!

Do any of you have a kitty that face-marks their treats before accepting them?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any that do that....but sorry....it sounds funny! Ferris you little fluffy oddball!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really is a hoot - as he rubs his lip against them, it lifts into a sneer, then he'll turn and do the other side.

I'm surprised he doesn't try to rub his entire body on it before eating it, like he has to make sure it is really, truly his before he can have it!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I can't offer them to her first, either, or he'll step in between us to rub his lips on the treat I'm offering her! Then she gets upset and leaves, poor baby girl.
Darn young boy cats! Thinking they're top cat and own everything. Tomas is the same way, but instead of marking it he just pushes his way into everything and takes.

I wonder if Ginger thinks "eww, you made my treat smell bad".

Sho will also rub his face on anything I hold out to him, I can sit there and switch objects, he'll just keep rubbing on them.