Advice needed

kirst

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well as lot of you know Sammi has been in my life for about 6 weeks now since she was 6 weeks old. The thing is I'm not sure if I am feeding her right. She is very energetic and slim but couldn't to her wait she is all right maybe a little over for her age but she is healthy in my opinion. What sort of feeding times should she been having and how much? She is eating whiskas wet food and whiskas dry food, she is enjoying both and has access to her dry food all the time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'd put her on better quality food - like Royal Canin, Chicken Soup, something along those lines.

She's only 12 weeks old at this point in time - she should have at least 3 small feedings for another month or two. You don't want her to gain weight really fast. But you should not see ribs. How much canned is she eating? Has she been wormed?

And how did you get her at 6 weeks old - that's too young to be away from mom/siblings - she's barely eating solid food at 6 weeks old.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She should have "kitten" food until 6 months to a year. It has more calories, better suited for her system. I agree with the better quality food, but some can be pricey. There are moderately priced foods. You should read the labels of the canned and dry food you are purchasing. Avoid ones that contain "by-products" the first two ingredients should be chicken (or turkey or whatever*) and water, then the other stuff. by-products, and meat* meal should not be in there. Since she is growing, she can eat more frequently thatn an adult. I would think 3 ounce can of wet, divided into morning and evening, and then a handful of kibble with the wet, and maybe mid-day.
Also, I don't feed a lot of fish or liver/organ meats.
If you search "kitten food" on this site, you will get a lot of info.

good luck with your baby! P.S. Please keep her indoors, and have her neutered at 6 months. Maybe she would like a friend?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kirst

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
gailuvscats: Well i plan to give her kitten food until she is a year seems to be the best for kittens from what i have read. She is happy on the whiskas and i am happy with it so i don't really want to change her food now. Yes I plan to get her neutered at 6 months. I would love to keep her indoors just not sure how to do that because but current living quarters are basically a little bigger then a double garage and we have three big dogs so i would much prefer to keep her as a indoor cat. She won't have a friend but hopefully when we move to a big place we will will be able to.

GoldenKitty45: I understand about putting her on better quality food but as i staid to gailuvscats both sammi and myself are happy with her food now. i got her at 6 weeks because she was born in a store room at the school i work and they felt it would be better to find them home soon because of the environment and during the week i was going to take the mom was already pulling away from her babies. She had 5 but one died. When i brought her home that Friday she did battle a little with her food but it didn't take her long to come right and she is loving her dry food.

What i was thinking was giving about four small meals (wet food) a day such as a teaspoon or more. If I leave a handful of dry food out for each day is that okay? Is that enough food for her and what thought of times should i been feeding her (I work from about 11:30 till about 17:30).

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you say you don't want to change foods, but you really should give her a better quality food. Would you feed your child McDonald's every day, 3 times a day? I wouldn't and that's basically the equivalent of what you are giving your kitten. You'll also find that a better quality food will satisfy her appetite better - she won't need to eat as much to get the same nutrition. I do hope you'll reconsider.

kirst

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I know you say you don't want to change foods, but you really should give her a better quality food. Would you feed your child McDonald's every day, 3 times a day? I wouldn't and that's basically the equivalent of what you are giving your kitten. You'll also find that a better quality food will satisfy her appetite better - she won't need to eat as much to get the same nutrition. I do hope you'll reconsider.
Honestly I really don't want to get into this again. Please try understand and I live in South Africa, we don't have as many choices but I'll see how she goes. Just to let everyone know I don't plan to keep her on whiskas for all her life I may keep her on it a few months but i really don't know.

What foods would be recommended here?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing the best you can with what is avail to u...

DO you want me to Pm a homemeade recipes to you???

kirst

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you,sharky. Yes, i would like that. It just might help.

I am basically raising this kitten on my own, so im learning all the time. This is my first kitten away from my mom, it's all new to me.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Firstly let me apologize - I didn't notice that you were from South Africa and that your choices in food might well be limited compared to ours. Sharky is very knowledgeable about food and nutrition so I'm sure she will be able to help you.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too didn't realize you were from South Africa

Anyway because of the rough start, you could keep her on kitten food longer; but keep an eye on her body build/size. Many time the kitten food will cause them to gain weight too fast and once they are fat its a lot harder to take it off.

Most females range from 5-8 lbs - some a little larger if its a larger breed, but the average should be about that.

Ling is over the average - mainly cause she was eating Charlies kitten food more then I thought she was! We will hold her at 9-10 lbs - tho I'd feel better with her at 8-9 lbs.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Kirst ~ I am also from South Africa, and find the 'choice' that we have over here so limited

My cat is now just over 1 year, I fed him Royal Canin Baby Cat for 6 months, then Royal Canin Kitten until he was 1 year old. He also had (and still has) 1 pouch of Whiskas per day... divided into 2 meals. I have now got him on Royal Canin Fit 32. He has done amazingly well and looks really great. We are now able to get Iams wet food in a pouch, but I have no idea what it is like. Good luck with your baby