Saddest sight I've seen in a while

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't about cats, but it has been on my mind and I want to share.

The other day I was driving along a busy road that is just on the outside of London. There was a mallard duck that had just been hit by a car, and he was dead in the middle of the road. His mate, a female duck was walking around him and smelling him and wondering what was going on. They had been crossing the road together.

If I wasn't with my boss I would have started bawling my eyes out right then, and did soon after that.

All I could think was imagine seeing your mate get killed right in front of you, and then not understanding what just happened and why he isn't moving anymore. OMG, I think it is so sad.

My boss and I sat quietly for the rest of the way back to work, both of us shocked and upset at what we saw.

Thankfully, someone had gone after and removed the mallard so that the female wouldn't get hit too..By the time lunch came I drove by and they were both off the road.

RIP little mallard, you were very beautiful.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww Nat....that is so sad
That would be an awful feeling to know how his mate was feeling......

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awful! Unfortunately, it happens all too often and it makes me mad that people that did hit an animal, never stop to check on it or they leave it in the middle of the road so it can get pounded into the road! I know that sometimes you have no reaction time, but at least have a heart and check on the poor thing.
I'm glad that the female was no longer there, but saddened at her loss.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my that is so sad
it certainly makes you feel for the female - I dont know about ducks but swans mate for life and when I used to live by a canal, some little
shot a swan
and its partner was just sailing up and down the canal for days, calling out for its mate
it is so, so sad

RIP sweet duck - find your way to all the other feathered friends over the Bridge

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so sad. Although some species of duck do mate for life, the mallard I believe pairs up only for the breeding season - so although his mate will be grieving right now there is a good chance that she will recover from her loss and find a new mate next year. RIP little mallard.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

That's so sad. Although some species of duck do mate for life, the mallard I believe pairs up only for the breeding season - so although his mate will be grieving right now there is a good chance that she will recover from her loss and find a new mate next year. RIP little mallard.
I was going to ask if they only paired up for breeding or if they actually formed a pair bond. I once had a breeding pair of marbled veil tail angels and I lost the female of the pair. The male was never the same afterwards and despite my best efforts he slowly pined away until he died.

RIP Mallard and may you fly happily over the Rainbow Bridge

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

All I could think was imagine seeing your mate get killed right in front of you, and then not understanding what just happened and why he isn't moving anymore. OMG, I think it is so sad.

RIP little mallard, you were very beautiful.
I get emotional also, when I see things like that. Now that cottage season is around the corner, I know I'll probably see more of that with all the cars heading north.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG! I cannot believe that I would add to this thread this way

I was on my way home from work and a white duck was hit, and laying in the middle of the raod and the female was by the side of the road in the grass just looking so sad and lost, her mate had been killed! If I could have any way gotten ahold of her I would have brought her somewhere safe, even if that would have been to our creek but unfortunately I was not able to do so.
RIP sweet white duck, and hopefully his mate is now safe!

lacy's mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so sad,I hope she realized what was happening and got off the road so she did not get hit.

Hugs to you!

It so hard seeing things like that.