or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › New Natural Balance Recall (not Menu related)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Natural Balance Recall (not Menu related) - Page 2

post #31 of 250
I just called NBalance (1 (800) 829-4493). They are not sure what is causing the problem yet, but they are looking into it. They are pulling all Pea and Venison (DRY ONLY, CAT & DOG versions) from the shelves until they know what the heck is going on. They confirm that it is something other than just people switching foods too quickly. They said they are in the middle of updating their website right now and the newest info about this will be posted shortly. www.naturalbalanceinc.com

They did confirm that all of the other varieties of the NBalance food is NOT affected.

Will this ever end?????
post #32 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post

ETA: I see this as nothing more than a rumor at this point. I don't know what to say. The story in the 2nd link could happen to any brand...especially if it's handled poorly, as I have observed at Petco (dented cans are vulnerable).

ITA with this. As for cans, I have seen less than pristine quality exterior no matter where I have shopped. I avoid and usually tell the clerks.

I am not belittling any new info regarding recalls; I think anything in question merits thought and investigation. However, I can see how even the smallest of questionable aspects now can lead to another panic and food switching, perhaps leading to more stress for all involved.

It's beyond frustrating because there is a fine line between being vigilant and aware and losing clarity and good judgment.

Me: **FISTS IN AIR**
post #33 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom View Post
I just called NBalance (1 (800) 829-4493). They are not sure what is causing the problem yet, but they are looking into it. They are pulling all Pea and Venison (DRY ONLY, CAT & DOG versions) from the shelves until they know what the heck is going on. They confirm that it is something other than just people switching foods too quickly. They said they are in the middle of updating their website right now and the newest info about this will be posted shortly. www.naturalbalanceinc.com

They did confirm that all of the other varieties of the NBalance food is NOT affected.

Will this ever end?????

No. The recall may finally end eventually, but I don't think my concerns ever will!

Thanks for the update. I was just considering calling NB myself. I expect they will be handling refunds on newly purchased dry. I only had one bag of pea and venison on order (my cats only tried the ultra dry so far), so if I toss it no matter. But plenty of people have stocked up and have been using it for weeks!

"They confirm that it is more than just people switching foods too quickly....". Err..ok, that is very cloudy to me. Very scary.
post #34 of 250
Gah, i just switched to NB Venison & Green Pea dry for my dry junkie! Grrrr.

Anyone know what the effected lot numbers are?
post #35 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpawz View Post
"They confirm that it is more than just people switching foods too quickly....". Err..ok, that is very cloudy to me. Very scary.
Me too...I wish they would clear up what they mean by that.
post #36 of 250
I've been feeding NB wet for a few months now. I switch up the flavors, including venison & green pea. everyone in my house is fine & to me this sounds like a small problem that just happens to fall at a bad time. Thankyou so much Sadie's Mom for sharing the information that you got when you called.
Right now we are all suspicous of foods because of the recal. It is possible that due to all the issues with the food recal NB is just trying to be proactive.
post #37 of 250
Here's what NBalance just posted on website:

NOTICE:
We are receiving consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Please discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Cat Food.

We are working closely with the FDA.
We will update this website today, as more information comes available.
post #38 of 250
Thank you Sadie's Mom. That makes my decision.

ETA: I couldn't find that on the NB website so please keep us updated.
post #39 of 250
Since I feed Sadie the dry Ultra Premium, I'm very worried about Natural Balance now pulling the Pea & Venison formula. I feel so badly for those who have been affected by this as you must be going crazy with worry for your babies. Here's keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it isn't another Menu problem and that everyone is safe.
post #40 of 250
I could not find this posting on the site either. Where was it located?
post #41 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
I could not find this posting on the site either. Where was it located?
Its on their homepage. If you don't see it, hit your refresh button.
post #42 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
I could not find this posting on the site either. Where was it located?
It's on the main home page...maybe hit "refresh" in your browser. You may be looking at a cached version of the page.
post #43 of 250
I am now REALLY confused!!!! I switched my two cats over to NB regular dry and wet food (not green pea & venison). They seem to really like it and I have seen no problems as of yet and it has been a couple of weeks. I hope they figure this out soon and it just ends up being upset tummies due to switching too fast. I dont know whether to keep feeding it to them or what. It makes me want to cry. For NB feeders, are you discontinuing use or just keeping a close eye?
post #44 of 250
For anyone feeding the Ultra Premium dry, I looked at the ingredients and compared them to the dry Venison & Green Pea. The following ingredients are contained in both varieties:

canola oil
natural flavor
flaxseed
choline chloride
inulin
taurine
vitamin e supplement
niacin
manganese proteinate
copper sulfate
thiamine mononitrate (vitamin b-1)
vitamin a supplement
biotin
potassium iodide
d-calcium pantothenate
riboflavin (vitamin b-2)
pyriodxine hydrochloride (vitamin b-6)
bitamin b-12 supplement
manganous oxide
soddium selenite
vitamin d supplement
folic acid (vitamin b)
post #45 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by touro1979 View Post
I am now REALLY confused!!!! I switched my two cats over to NB regular dry and wet food (not green pea & venison). They seem to really like it and I have seen no problems as of yet and it has been a couple of weeks. I hope they figure this out soon and it just ends up being upset tummies due to switching too fast. I dont know whether to keep feeding it to them or what. It makes me want to cry. For NB feeders, are you discontinuing use or just keeping a close eye?
I just called Sadie's vet. She told me to keep Sadie on NB Ultra BUT to keep a very close eye on her. Sadie's been on this for 1 year and no problems (knock wood). She said its her guess that it has to do with the venison but didn't elaborate on it.
post #46 of 250
I was trying to be really positive about this, but it is starting to make me nervous. Is this the first recall on dry food? I don't feed the NB dry, but I do feed the wet. As a matter of fact I just fet vension & green pea wet last night.
post #47 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
I was trying to be really positive about this, but it is starting to make me nervous. Is this the first recall on dry food? I don't feed the NB dry, but I do feed the wet. As a matter of fact I just fet vension & green pea wet last night.
Outside of Hills M/D rx feline .. YES it is the first dry recall
post #48 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
I was trying to be really positive about this, but it is starting to make me nervous. Is this the first recall on dry food? I don't feed the NB dry, but I do feed the wet. As a matter of fact I just fet vension & green pea wet last night.
As far as I can tell, this is the first recall on dry. There's been nothing said about the wet venison & pea.

I'm really nervous too now.... why would it just be the venison & pea, and not the Ultra Premium too?
post #49 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by touro1979 View Post
I am now REALLY confused!!!! I switched my two cats over to NB regular dry and wet food (not green pea & venison). They seem to really like it and I have seen no problems as of yet and it has been a couple of weeks. I hope they figure this out soon and it just ends up being upset tummies due to switching too fast. I dont know whether to keep feeding it to them or what. It makes me want to cry. For NB feeders, are you discontinuing use or just keeping a close eye?
i'm not sure now. this morning and last night it was all hearsay. now NB's website states kidney & other issues from it. i'm sure my DH won't be happy the brand being involved. he's been the one keeping me sane.

we've spent a boatload of money on cat food since all this started. i'm getting really ticked off. i guess i will see what my DH says. we can always stop at petsmart this afternoon and get a small bag of Blue Buffalo senior. i'm getting so unbelievably frustrated by all this. i was doing good until they had that info on the website today. i guess i might have to get out my petco receipts for the NB i bought.

the "good" foods i have available are:
NB
Solid gold (but i've heard some anecdotal stuff that echoes the NB recall, so i'm not really interested in feeding it)
Blue Buffalo
Eagle
Innova Evo (not a good choice--i have 2 that will be 10 yrs this year, and cost prohibitive anyway)
i don't feel comfortable feeding nutro dry, otherwise i would still be using that.

i don't feed the majority of their diet as dry food, but i still want to be comfortable that it is safe.
post #50 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom View Post
I'm really nervous too now.... why would it just be the venison & pea, and not the Ultra Premium too?
You mentioned earlier that your vet guessed something about the venison, which could very well be the culprit. I refrain from too much speculation as it just gets more and more convoluted and upsetting

Mine just switched to NB Ultra Premium dry (the one you mentioned). I said earlier that in the first week, 2 of my 5 were 'off' and I have chalked it down to tummy upset and working out those enzymes needed to digest higher animal protein based foods.

One of my guys who was 'off' is fine today. The other is still kind of quiet and not much appetite. The other 3 cats love the food and are fine and actually seem more upbeat overall.

Did you experience anything questionable with the NB Ultra dry or had you been using it all along?

I have a bag of venison & pea en route but obviously that is going back. For now I am rotating Chicken Soup for Cat's, their old Purina One, and possibly looking into Felidae. I *think* I will still mix it up with the Ultra??

I have a mixed variety of NB cans too, but haven't tried them yet. I want to wake up from this nightmare please.
post #51 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpawz View Post
I want to wake up from this nightmare please.
This is exactly how I feel. Everytime I start to feel comfortable feeding the cats again something else come out. Now I'm back to having that knot in my stomache & I know I will second guess myself tonight when I put the food down for them.
post #52 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpawz View Post
You mentioned earlier that your vet guessed something about the venison, which could very well be the culprit. I refrain from too much speculation as it just gets more and more convoluted and upsetting

Mine just switched to NB Ultra Premium dry (the one you mentioned). I said earlier that in the first week, 2 of my 5 were 'off' and I have chalked it down to tummy upset and working out those enzymes needed to digest higher animal protein based foods.

One of my guys who was 'off' is fine today. The other is still kind of quiet and not much appetite. The other 3 cats love the food and are fine and actually seem more upbeat overall.

Did you experience anything questionable with the NB Ultra dry or had you been using it all along?

I have a bag of venison & pea en route but obviously that is going back. For now I am rotating Chicken Soup for Cat's, their old Purina One, and possibly looking into Felidae. I *think* I will still mix it up with the Ultra??

I have a mixed variety of NB cans too, but haven't tried them yet. I want to wake up from this nightmare please.
Sadie's been eating Ultra Premium dry for at least a year and there's been nothing wrong so far. So glad to hear your guy is feeling better...sending you good thoughts that the other will perk up soon and that it has nothing to do with the food.

Regardless of what Sadie's vet said, I'm still nervous... (and getting progressively angry about this)!
post #53 of 250
i'm going to call my vet this afternoon i think.

my cats are doing fine. in fact they are doing better on NB than any other kibble we've used in the past.
post #54 of 250
Rang~

*nodding* in sympathy. This is an absolute travesty. When I said earlier I woke up with hives, I wasnt' joking. I seriously think I am freaking out here (there is a lot of concurrent stress going on and it's just all getting out of control).

I am sitting here wondering what I should give for their 'afternoon' snack. A few of my cats are looking at me expectantly like "Uhm, where's the chow, mom?" but a couple cats are totally oblivious (and that is rare).

I have done food switching in the past and this reaction is NO different. But before, there wasn't a food recall going on to add to the worries

I am so disappointed with the NB news but this last report has blown whatever security I had to smithereens.

Felidae has been getting rave reviews, aside from a few reporting their cats don't like it. Nutro seems mixed. Chicken Soup seems solid aside from a couple finicky cats....and we all keep going over the same thing "What are you feeding? What do you think is ok?" I can't scream loud enough
post #55 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by touro1979 View Post
For NB feeders, are you discontinuing use or just keeping a close eye?
I am discontinuing since I was feeding the food that was specifically mentioned (NB venison and pea dry). I have to do some more research but I am thinking of switching to Solid Gold or Chicken Soup.
post #56 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom View Post
Sadie's been eating Ultra Premium dry for at least a year and there's been nothing wrong so far. So glad to hear your guy is feeling better...sending you good thoughts that the other will perk up soon and that it has nothing to do with the food.

Regardless of what Sadie's vet said, I'm still nervous... (and getting progressively angry about this)!
Thanks, your news is reassuring. I keep looking at what is most logical here (so I can keep some shred of sanity):

My 5 cats tried a new diet of Natural Balance Ultra dry (not a gradual enough switch, methinks, and that is my fault).

They all loved it the first 2x.

Then 2 of my 5 were reserved, not interested in food, and slept more than usual (as cats will do when feeling off)

Now one of the 'off' cats is fine and only 1 is still 'meh'.

That tells me it's food sensitivity or a switch issue or both.

But it's impossible not to worry--logic pogic!

I wonder if the vets aren't as befuddled as we are
post #57 of 250
Yikes! I hope they get it figured out soon! I just bought a bag of the Ultra premium last week, I hope the recall doesn't extend to that as well

Maybe I'll pick up a bag of Spa Select next time I go to Petsmart.
post #58 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpawz View Post
Rang~

*nodding* in sympathy. This is an absolute travesty. When I said earlier I woke up with hives, I wasnt' joking. I seriously think I am freaking out here (there is a lot of concurrent stress going on and it's just all getting out of control).

I am sitting here wondering what I should give for their 'afternoon' snack. A few of my cats are looking at me expectantly like "Uhm, where's the chow, mom?" but a couple cats are totally oblivious (and that is rare).

I have done food switching in the past and this reaction is NO different. But before, there wasn't a food recall going on to add to the worries

I am so disappointed with the NB news but this last report has blown whatever security I had to smithereens.

Felidae has been getting rave reviews, aside from a few reporting their cats don't like it. Nutro seems mixed. Chicken Soup seems solid aside from a couple finicky cats....and we all keep going over the same thing "What are you feeding? What do you think is ok?" I can't scream loud enough
You are not the only one with the stress getting out of hand. I'm sitting here at work and I can barely concentrate, I'm just being eaten alive by anxiety. My husband thinks I'm "over reacting" so he is just adding to my stress. I just called and told him to give them Fancy Feast for their afternoon snack. I don't know what else to do.
post #59 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
I could not find this posting on the site either. Where was it located?
Click the refresh button on the website. That solved the problem for me.
post #60 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
You are not the only one with the stress getting out of hand. I'm sitting here at work and I can barely concentrate, I'm just being eaten alive by anxiety. My husband thinks I'm "over reacting" so he is just adding to my stress. I just called and told him to give them Fancy Feast for their afternoon snack. I don't know what else to do.
I can't concentrate either. I feel like crawling out of my skin. I know that it's only the dry food, but it just makes you question. The biggest issue I have is that NB wet was the only wet food I could feed that would satisfy my cats all night. I guess I may have a few sleepless nights comming up. I'm not even sure what to give them tonight. I know Maggie can't have anything with Garlic because it causes problems with her tummy. Currently I feed nutro natural dry in the morning(I was guessing I was safe because there is no wheat gluten, but that may not be the case) & NB wet (differnt flavors) at night. I don't know if I should switch or just stay witht he NB dry??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › New Natural Balance Recall (not Menu related)