Ok so here's what's going on and i'm not quite sure what to do right now. So kind honest suggestions are welcome I have recently somewhat moved in with Colin due to a number of factors- the main ones being drugs, crime, and gang activities in my old neighborhood. I have only brought over my fish, kojak, and my foster kittens. I am still in the process of moving all of my stuff in as well. The rest of my animals are still at home with my mom. My mom and i had decided that she will keep 3 and i will take three. MY mom is keeping my wolf mix, Ginger- because she is SOOOOO bonded with her- they are inseperable and when it comes down to it, even though she's mine on the papers- she's grammas girl- i could never take her from my mom. The same can be said of Abilene- she's a mawmaw's girl and is best buddies with Ginger- they sleep together every night. So without a doubt- my mom is keeping them. Recently my mom also said that she REALLY wanted to keep Sophie, my bunny as well. We talked it over and decided that it was a good idea becasue Sophie is very bonded to Abilene (yup- kitty and bunny are best buds!) That and rabbits are prey animals- even though Fosters and Whisky (our dogs at Colins ) are very gentle- i'm afraid they may frighten little Sophie so i feel she would be most comfortable staying. So- thus far my mom wants to keep/fully adopt from me- ginger, sophie, and abilene. / And i had planned to take my 3 other kitties, Velvet, Isabella, and Jasmine to Colin's house with me. Here's one thing i'm worried about- my mom- she is SOOOOO attached to them all...it will break her heart for me to take them. But i too am absolutely heartbroken that i don't have my girls here with me and miss them dearly. I told her from day one that i would be moving them to Colin's house with me when we set everything up- she wasn't happy but seemed ok with it. Recently she's started saying "we'll they will just absolutely die over there" "they've never been away from here, they're going to hate it" and other things like that to really hurt my feelings and try to talk me into letting her keep them (NOT a good way to go about doing it seeing as how i WORK at a shelter, and i am a primary foster mommy- i take EXCELLENT care of ALL of my animals and they would all do just fine here) So yea i don't like her trying to manipulate me on that note over my animals. (And for the record- i pay everything for them- food, vet bills, everything for the kitties and bunny - ginger my mom takes care of) SOOO aside from that i'm also wondering how they'd do here with us at Colin's. I think they would be happy- a lot more room, colin's building a kitty gym/scratching posts for them/ and they'll have an entire bedroom even! So i think they'd be happy. But what i was thinking about is just trying an adjustment period. See how they do and if they adjust well to Colin's house when i bring them over- if they do well..keep them here....if not, bring them back to my mom (since that's what she wants anyways) and let her adopt them from me. I will do what is in the best interest of my girls though reguardless of what it means for me. I DO feel like i can take better care of them than my mom, especially when Jasmine is concerned- my mom over feeds her and she already has a lot of weight issues which are worrying me- same with my other girls so i know that they will be better off with me on that note. But that aside i know how much they love my mom so i feel bad taking them away I knew this issue would come up sooner or later but now i really have to make a choice and see what's in the best interest for them. I really think i will do the "trial period" and see how it goes- see how each one reacts then make a decision from there. HOWEVER that being said- eventually my mom will move, get older, and not be in a position to care for them- the longer we wait, the harder it will be on them so i'd rather go ahead and make all permenant moves now for them. What do ya'll think??? Colin is wanting me to go ahead and bring them over wheneve i'm ready. I feel like i'm ready to know- i just don't know how to take them away from my mom's house- i know she's going to hold it against me and be angry towards me for a long time Any tips/advise to difuse that? I told her she can come over and see them anytime she wants - she of course cursed me out for that one and said she wouldn't if i took them away from her HELP!? I want to do what is in the best interest of my cats- we all love them dearly.
post #1 of 17
4/15/07 at 3:35pm