water bowl

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seriously. What is the fascination with the water bowl? We have been doing fine with a new water bowl for several weeks now. It is one that I can fill up every other day or so... it has a resevoir for the water. Makes "glug, glug" noises as they drink out of it. Everything was fine, but now... it is a new toy. My kitties try to get the stopper out of the bottom. Knock it over. Bat their paws at the water. I even took the resevoir off and just left the base with water in it. It is like a birdbath for cats. I don't understand!! Hopefully they will get tired of it soon, and we can get back to normal. You would think that they would want to drink the water... not play in it!! Anyone else have this problem? It is kind of cute. I can tell when it is going to happen, because I see them both sitting around it staring at it. Then when I come in the look at me so innocently and probably think, "what, Mommy? We aren't doing anything!"

You really can't help but love them because they are so cute!!

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand what your going through. My cats have been obsessed with the water bowl since I have had them. Megabyte has wet paws all the time. He dips his whole paw in the water bowl then cleans it. Kilowatt loves to knock it over...I think what was happening was they loved to play with the rug I had the water bowl on so I took away the rug and so far everything has been fine.

It is so cute...and I don't want them not to drink water so I have not scolded them for it.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Peanuts just won't drink out of her water bowl...she prefers the sink! or any random cups lying around...or the bathtub...im pretty sure i even caught her by the toilet once! and Socks? he likes the water fountain in my room!

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can sympathize, I've got 2 who like to play in water. Nala mainly likes to play with running water from the tap but Dylan prefers the water bowl. When he was a kitten he'd tip the bowl over for sport just to watch the water pool and spread across the floor. I thought he'd grow out of it.........he didn't. I had to resort to buying these very heavy, huge, ceramic bowls from Petsmart meant for very large dogs. Now he just tosses things in it like his very own little swimming pool. He's 6 years old, so I've given up on his "growing out of it". I can't win that battle so I just fish his things out of it and clean it constantly

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomas likes to wash his paws after he's used the litter box, that makes the water gross. He'll also toss toys in the water bowls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess mine's not the only one!! Makes me feel a little better. I am always getting soggy toys dropped on me when I am sleeping!!

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcrazyperson

Peanuts just won't drink out of her water bowl...she prefers the sink! or any random cups lying around...or the bathtub...im pretty sure i even caught her by the toilet once! and Socks? he likes the water fountain in my room!
I finally gave up tripping over the water bowl because mine wasn't using it at all. He has a regular human glass in the bathroom plus he drinks out of a stream of water once or twice a day from the utility sink faucet.

Still, that doesn't stop him from pawing any glass with liquid over to the side of the table to knock down on the floor for even more fun. :-)

lovemykitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a three year old cat that loves drinking from the tap in the bathtub. everytime I go upstairs he starts meowing and making as much racket as possible until I turn on his tap for water.
My kitten, 2 and a half months, loves the water dish. She baths beside it and always dips her paws into it. The sad thing is though that the dog doesn't like this whole bathing in the water dish thing. So the dog will come over and push her over or nussle her. I guess the dogs jelous because he doesn't fit in the water dish! Haha...

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties try to get the stopper out of the bottom. Knock it over. Bat their paws at the water. I even took the resevoir off and just left the base with water in it. It is like a birdbath for cats.
Do you have a pic of them doing this? It sounds adorable!

opiebopie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my! What is with the water bowl?! Opie plays in it and I always find a toy in the water, what is left of the water since ita now all over the floor.