We have hedeghogs...no, rats!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We've been having a torrential rainfall here. We have a birdfeeder outside of our French doors in the family room. This morning, I saw one of the cats totally fascinated by something outside. I saw 2 cute litle mice, then H called over to see "The funny critter that isn't a mouse!". Actually, we BOTH thought the little critter was a hedgehog--his fur looked spiky, due to the rain; we couldn't see the tail, and I've handle baby hedgehogs, and, yes, he really did look like one! Then, "Hedgie" turned around, and we saw that tail...I later counted 8 little mice (really, they are quite cute--outside). The cats are glued to the windows!

This is the first (and I hope, last) time we've seen evidence of rodents here. Hubby likes mice, so he doesn't want to put poison out--and really don't want to, either--but I think they're living under our deck. They've dug a hole near the deck, and one even popped out his little head through a hole in the wood (that was made by us last year).

I know I should be grossed out by the rodents, but we've been checking on them all afternoon (hubby even took pics). For God's sake, stop us before we start naming them!!!!

I'm calling them Redneck cat toys. Hey, why play with those silly things with the catnip, when you can have the real thing? (No, I won't really let the cats out on them.)

Has anyone used non-violent methods to rid themselves of rodents?

MargeCat

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the thing is...i wouldn't be able to get rid of them!!! lol, i'd probably already have names picked out...
don't kill them! that would be terrible! and hey, Peanuts says she wants a redneck cat toy...maybe she'll take them for you...

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my SO does pest control , yes not a nice job but it pays the bills.
2 mice can produce 2000 mice a year , thats including there babys having babys ect ect... i know mice are cute , but unless you deal with the problem now it will only get worse , a lot worse.
some say i have cats so i wont get mice , this is not true , they will live in your walls your flooring . yes the cats may catch a few eat them or play with them , but would you really like to start sharing your house with 100s of mice lol?
anyway good luck , and i know i would not like to have to kill any mice, i have a moan at my SO about going on about it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

For God's sake, stop us before we start naming them!!!!
Oh gosh! That's hilarious! But you really do have to do something... I don't know if it's possible "rehome" a family of mice or not, but you can't let them go unchecked. If nothing else, you have to consider the diseases they can carry. Here in the southwest, they've been known to carry hanta viruses, so we don't dare treat them as cute little mammals!

It's hard not to, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
An update; my worst fears realized--Hubby actually has NAMED the rodents!
He called me today at lunch, and (seriously) told me, "I've given them names. The big one [the rat] is Squeaky; the little one is Pete [for Periscope Pete, as he pokes his head out of a hole in the deck, and looks around]."

Someone sew me a strait-jacket--size XXL; if you can emblazon it with a Marine Corps insignia, he'd love it!

BTW, did I tell you he wanted to put out dried corn for Squeaky last Sunday? I stopped that right quick!

MargeCat

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, if they already have names you probably aren't going to get rid of them. I don't know where you live, but is there any way you can feed them away from your house? Do you have neighbors nearby or do you have any rural land or woods around? If they are that close to your house it won't be long before they are inside. Believe me. Rats can chew through anything! Feeding them away may encourage them to make a home there instead of under your deck.

Or, you could rent a trap and transport them somewhere else and let them go in the woods (or by a really nasty neighbors house
).

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Ok, if they already have names you probably aren't going to get rid of them. I don't know where you live, but is there any way you can feed them away from your house? Do you have neighbors nearby or do you have any rural land or woods around? If they are that close to your house it won't be long before they are inside. Believe me. Rats can chew through anything! Feeding them away may encourage them to make a home there instead of under your deck.

Or, you could rent a trap and transport them somewhere else and let them go in the woods (or by a really nasty neighbors house
).
Our neighbors are very close by, on all sides. Oh, believe me, I totally agree with you, and know all about rats--and have been trying to tell H this all week! He only will put poison out if "They come into the house." (!!!!) Great, some morning, I'll wake up to find I'm in a scene from Willard--rats swarming all over me...

I was hoping that the neighbor's tortie cat, who has been hanging around the back yard (in fact, he/she was sniffing down the rat hole seconds after Squeaky went down it), would take care of it for us, if you get my meaning...

I've also been leaving books about the bubonic plague/Black Death around, to give H the hint; I also reminded him that, even though Squeaky is a Norway Rat, not Rattus Rattus (the Black Rat, whose fleas carried the Plague), Norway Rats can still carry the Plague!

Has anyone used those ultrasonic/sonic/whatever things to rid themselves of rodents? How do they work, and DO they work?

MargeCat

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used two different humane traps. I don't really mind them much, but the field mice were starting to find a way inside the old house, and they belong outside. They make one trap that's plastic that you wind up and then set and the mice are attracted to it, they'll run right in and get stuck in there... you take them out, open the lid, and voila! I also ended up with a tiny humane rat trap (like the larger humane kitty traps), in an auction lot... set it with just about any kind of food and they go right in.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

An update; my worst fears realized--Hubby actually has NAMED the rodents!
He called me today at lunch, and (seriously) told me, "I've given them names. The big one [the rat] is Squeaky; the little one is Pete [for Periscope Pete, as he pokes his head out of a hole in the deck, and looks around]."

Someone sew me a strait-jacket--size XXL; if you can emblazon it with a Marine Corps insignia, he'd love it!

BTW, did I tell you he wanted to put out dried corn for Squeaky last Sunday? I stopped that right quick!

MargeCat
That is hysterical

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I just found out online that supposedly rodents hate the smells of peppermint and...CATNIP! How ironic--catnip! I plan to buy some peppermint oil, douse cotton balls with it, and place it near Squeaky's lair. I also plan to plant som catnip near there.

My humane compromise; wish me luck!!

MargeCat

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just found out online that supposedly rodents hate the smells of peppermint and...CATNIP! How ironic--catnip! I plan to buy some peppermint oil, douse cotton balls with it, and place it near Squeaky's lair. I also plan to plant som catnip near there.

My humane compromise; wish me luck!!

MargeCat
That is good to know. I didn't know they hated the smell of peppermint. Maybe you can plant some peppermint plants so you'll have a permenant deterrant. And the kitties will LOVE fresh catnip!!