Sad day for us tomorrow!!!

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its a sad day for us tomorrow we have to take Heidi to the local animal shelter as she is getting too aggresive towards us now.

As most of you know she has scratched the kids on numerous occasions and has also scratched and bit me.

The nutshell was on Tuesday night we went out to a friends, hubby came back in a worse for wear state and crashed out on the bed so I made the sofa bed up for me and the kids in the living room.

When we got up in the morning Andrew(hubby) looked like someone had taken a knife and slashed his side from waist up to mid way (just under nipple) he was in severe pain and because of the alcohol didnt wake when it happened and was in shock the next morning.

I have to admit I did kill myself laughing at him and said Heidi was well trained but when I sat and thought about it, that could have been one of the kids and I wouldnt have been laughing then.

A few nights later my daughter had her friend sleep over and when she got up in the morning she had a scratch on her hand.

Heidi has also given my daughter a really bad scratch on her wrist and she is terrified to tell me whats happening in case I get rid of Heidi.

Im so gutted that it has come to this I have tried everything to make things better and I have given her so many chances I just cant risk the kids any longer.

Tomorrow is going to be a sad day for us all.

The only light at the end of the tunnel is that we may have Simba back for good as his parents dont want him anymore.

Its a shame because Simba and Heidi got on so well together he will miss her too.

Angela

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry
I know it always hurt giving up a baby. What about soft paws, claws? I know it won't help her biting you though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Why, if you're having a problem with Heidi scratching, don't you clip her claws and/or use Softpaws? http://www.softpaws.com/
You can get them from the UK on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.de/SOFT-CLAWS-Cat-Na...QQcmdZViewItem
i have clipped her claws and it hasnt made much difference plus it was really hard to get her to sit it took me ages to get them done and i had to take her to the vets to cut the back ones as i couldnt get a good grip on her to do them myself

i may try those softpaws ive never heard of them before but with her temprament i dont know but thanks

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you also looked into Feliway or Bach's floral remedies to calm her down? Or locked her in at night to prevent her from scratching somebody while they're sleeping?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know your whole story, but from what you've said here, I wouldn't necessarily call that aggression. I've had hundreds and hundreds of scratches, many severe -- but almost none of them were the result of aggression. Usually, it's been during the first year, when a kitten is still learning manners, or just because I was in the way of a cat in a hurry!

In any case, please, if you must give her up, be sure it's a no-kill shelter?

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As jcat mentioned - Feliway is very good for calming behavioural probelms. Have you tried that?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww I am sorry to hear this latest about Heidi
I know you've been trying all sorts with her - bless her
its all a bit strange thats she is beng like this really
Are you still in Germany ? I hope you can find a 'no-kill' shelter for her

Take care

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree to try soft paws..and feliway if ithasnt been tried yet

and if shelter ends up bein the only way...no kill...

artharitis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agreed with the no kill.

Maybe another option would be to make an advertisement for her so you could check out her new potential owner? Just a suggestion.

Good luck, and I'm sorry.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
I think her 'aggression' is caused by your circumstances.
You said in earlier posts that somebody cut her whiskers off?
One of the kids maybe?They can hurt animals without intending to.
That is specifically why the Cats Protection do not home
young cats with young children.
and correct me if I'm wrong but her behaviour really was due to
her being in heat.
Also reading your previous posts you said that "Heidi has settled
nicely" but on the same day you posted about your hubby wanting to
break up.
Just going off what you said in your posts about these things and
the timeline of everything,She is probably feeling your and your
husbands stress.

What I don't understand is she was ok when you got Simba,she wasn't
as aggressive towards any of you and she was really good with Simba.

I think she would be better going to a shelter,But make sure it's a
no kill,and make sure you tell them the circumstances of her behaviour
because if you don't then she will be tarred as aggressive when that
isn't the case.And she WILL be Pts.

Btw your siggy of "just Simba" looks great.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I found TCS in the first place was because I had a totally crazy kitten, who I named `Scratchy' because of her behaviour (see my avatar). She was out of control and I was very experienced with cats, and she still was amazingly hard work.

It took many months but she settled eventually as she got older and is now a peaceful, loving, quiet, scratch-free cat. It takes time with some kittens, although I can understand your problem with your children.

I haven't seen your other threads but have you tried any behaviour modification work with this cat? The same as you would with dogs? If you want to pm me I could tell you some things that I do with dogs that actually work remarkably well with cats, too.

Just a thought for you. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

The reason I found TCS in the first place was because I had a totally crazy kitten, who I named `Scratchy' because of her behaviour (see my avatar). She was out of control and I was very experienced with cats, and she still was amazingly hard work.

It took many months but she settled eventually as she got older and is now a peaceful, loving, quiet, scratch-free cat. It takes time with some kittens, although I can understand your problem with your children.

I haven't seen your other threads but have you tried any behaviour modification work with this cat? The same as you would with dogs? If you want to pm me I could tell you some things that I do with dogs that actually work remarkably well with cats, too.

Just a thought for you. Good luck whatever you choose to do.
that would be great i would really appreciate that.

and just to let you all know she is still here i'm finding it really hard to send her away as i have grown attached to the wee monster lol. if it comes to her going to a shelter the one near us is a no kill and i would let them know she would be better suited to a adults or older kids. the kids havent hurt her they like to play with her and her toys whereas simba is really layed back

i hope i can prolong her exit and keep her i just dont think i could do it

thanks for all your advice and help everyone

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

If you lived closer i'd take her off your hands in a heartbeat because i still think it's just Heidi being a kitten.

Please make sure the shelter is a no kill one.
I second that!

I dont think taking her to the shelter is a very good answer, but thats just my opnion.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so glad you're going to work with her some more! Bless you for that! And I'm sure KitEKats4Eva can really help a lot... as will the natural process of growing out of kittenhood. You're doing the right thing!