Horrific Breath Help Needed. Concerning!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok! So I have been feeding my kitten felidae wet for around a week now and never encountered anything but the usual cute stinky kitty breath! Well now her breath is horrific it is way worse than human morning breath! No dog or cat has ever had breath so bad! What gives? She wasn't interested in her wet today so i gave her some dry! She doesn't seem sick, a little warm but still playful as ever! The only other change is she stays by me constantly... I don't have an anal thermometer to check her temp but she feels like a little hot box (she always has) yet still playful but smelly (breath) as can be! I just had her teeth looked at less than 2 months ago and they were fine (she is only 8 months old)!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be just a kitten finishing teething smell or her wet food ( something in it ) doesnt agree with her insides

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty had BAD breath and it turned out to be a sinus infection. She also had a messy nose, tho. Keep a watch for messy nose, eyes or signs she may have sore throat--like not eating/drinking.

Cally

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah no runny nose she had a cold when i got her but antibiotics took care of that! The smell is wicked it smells like something died in her! Why would it take so long for her food to make her breath smell ill! She is fine just wow smelly! Does teething usually smell?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At times it can... but likely it is a URI remenant keep an eye on it
... pitter patter mints are decent and work in my dog

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't seem sick! No eye goo or runny nose but I'll keep an eye out! What are some signs to look for other than what I just wrote? I'll feel bad if she is sick again! Poor baby has seen the vet alot since I got her!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about cats, but when I'm having really bad stomach problems it will make my breath horrible. Maybe the food is bothering her a bit? it would coincide with switching her food.

Tomas has had stinky breath when he coughs lately, sickly smelling though, not like something died.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't know about cats, but when I'm having really bad stomach problems it will make my breath horrible. Maybe the food is bothering her a bit? it would coincide with switching her food.

Tomas has had stinky breath when he coughs lately, sickly smelling though, not like something died.
I was thinking it could be a digestive issue as well! I have serious digestive issues and my acid/bile reflux and gastritis definitley can permit a funky smell! I gave her some dry to see how she would handle that! Since she went from an all dry diet to an all wet so quickly!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible she needs her anal glands expressed? If she is licking her bottom and ingesting that fluid, that could cause smelly breath.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Is it possible she needs her anal glands expressed? If she is licking her bottom and ingesting that fluid, that could cause smelly breath.
No butt licking but that was a great suggestion! I wish that was the case, a simple fix!

molarszbt18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can from what I have read feed her some dry food as that will scrape some tarter off her teeth or try giving her some treets as those will do a good job as well

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dry food and treats won't remove existing tartar. There are a very few special formulas that can actually have an effect on preventing tartar build-up. Science t/d, C.E.T. Dental Chews, Pounce Tartar Control, and Feline Greenies are among them. Again, they will help prevent plaque and tartar build-up, but first existing tartar has to be removed.

molarszbt18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

The dry food and treats won't remove existing tartar. There are a very few special formulas that can actually have an effect on preventing tartar build-up. Science t/d, C.E.T. Dental Chews, Pounce Tartar Control, and Feline Greenies are among them. Again, they will help prevent plaque and tartar build-up, but first existing tartar has to be removed.
So greenies do not remove what is on the teeth already, they willl just prevent further build up?

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My immediate recommendation with any change such as this is a Vet exam.
Foul breath can be a symptom of many health issues, from dental problems to chronic diseases such as kidney failure, diabetes and cancer.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by molarszbt18

So greenies do not remove what is on the teeth already, they willl just prevent further build up?
Just like with people, the product reduces the amount of plaque, which prevents tartar from forming. The way they talk about the study on their website is a little misleading, but it really is about prevention of future build-up rather than treatment of existing tartar.

This website describes a little more detail about the study:
http://www.ethicalagents.co.nz/pages/Apr 06 7.htm

"An independent veterinary research group determined the effect of Feline Greeniesâ„¢ on dental tartar accumulation. Half of the cats in the study were given Feline Greeniesâ„¢, half were not (the control group). At the end of the study, dental tartar accumulation was determined by scoring 18 out of 30 teeth in each cat. The results demonstrated that feeding Feline Greeniesâ„¢ daily showed a statistically significant reduction of 24% over feeding dry cat food alone."

The study measured the amount of accumulation while using Greenies rather than the reduction of existing tartar.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not foul consantly just at certain times. Im not sure if its a reflux thing or a burp thing... Smells more like stomach content (digestive issues)! She doesn't have a plaque issue, she just saw the vet around 2 months ago and her teeth were great! She is 8 months old!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar had bad breath when he had a URI, his throat was very inflamed and as a result his breath stank. He doesn't normally have bad breath at all, it was one of the early symptoms that alerted us that something wasn't right. His breath got back to normal once he was recovering following treatment.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesnt have any signs of a URI just bad breath at the moment! It's something I am watching for! She is still very playful just a foul stench comes out of her mouth here and there! Her body has felt warm... I should probably get an anal thermometer and check her temp!

molarszbt18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it is bad breath, teeth in cats are very genetic so its kinda hard to fight tarter and so forth