Change in voice ? ?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Teddy's voice has changed
its a lot deeper - he was meowing for his breakfast this morning and its completely changed....so weird.....I thought it was another cat
I've listened to him since and its definately deeper.
Is this normal, like you know with little boys - even though he's had his bits removed
could it be a sign of something else ?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sure hasn't happened with Ferris. Nearly 12 pounds, 11 months old, and he still mews like a little tiny baby kitten.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

So Teddy's voice has changed
its a lot deeper - he was meowing for his breakfast this morning and its completely changed....so weird.....I thought it was another cat
I've listened to him since and its definately deeper.
Is this normal, like you know with little boys - even though he's had his bits removed
could it be a sign of something else ?
Well, Persi's voice has sure changed but then he has went from 7 weeks to 1 year old tomorrow when I guess he officially becomes a cat. You do not say how old Teddy is so I do not know if this would be a similar situation but In Persi's case I think it a matter of going from a kitten and becoming a cat.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Has his voice been deeper ever since the neuter? It could be an effect of the anesthesia, though it has been about two weeks, hasn't it? It should have worn off by now. Allergies could do it, too - what's blooming there?
I'd tend to think he's lost his "squeaky kitten voice".

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

It sure hasn't happened with Ferris. Nearly 12 pounds, 11 months old, and he still mews like a little tiny baby kitten.
It's cute when boys mew like that.
There's a stay boy that sometimes hangs around outside, going to guess he's around 2 years old. He sounds like a kitten.

Tomas is between 7-8 months and has been neutered, his meow hasn't changed at all. I think they tend to use whatever meow works for them best, some will even have different meows for other cats. If the cute little kitten meow makes you baby talk and feed them then it works.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The others have good ideas about what's going on...I'll add that I've had 4 black cats in my lifetime, and 3 of them had quite a versatile voicebox. Those 3 could yowl almost like a Siamese, when they really wanted to. I think there's actually an explanation for that, as there's some genetic relationship between black cats and "pointed" cats. ?? Not sure, though...just remember something like that, vaguely.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has learnt to shout, because the service was a bit slow