BEST hand cream

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some of you know I clean houses for living,so my hands are allways wet then dry,I hate wearing gloves,i only wear them whn I know I am going to use somthing strong. any way almost every day I get cracks io my fingers.and they hurt! I need a cream that really works. Any help would be welcome!
Thanks Sherral
(My feet are also cracked and really dry)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that that cow udder cream is the best..You can get it in the drugstore..I forget what its called but it has picture of a cow, or cow patches on it.

Apparently, it is used for cracked udders on cows.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aveda makes a foot cream that feels like a spa treatment! For hand lotion I like Eucerin, since it doesn't smell like anything and rubs in really well. It healed the gross cracks in my feet over the winter

I personally put superglue in little cracks and cuts on my hands, but they make stuff that is actually meant for your skin I think it's called Nuskin or something. It doesn't come off or get gross like bandaids and it lets them heal finally.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For starters you need to start protecting your hands at work. At work use a good silicone barrier skin cream, the kind that is used to prevent diaper rash. it will protect your skin from water. Reapply it through the day as needed.

Use a good thick intensive nourishing cream to moisturize your hands when not at work.

It's good to slather your hands in cream and put on a pair of cotton gloves at bedtime so that your skin can soak in the moisture.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Wool Wax Cream.
It's fabulous!

No clue where you can buy it, I know you can get it online, but my mother picks it up for me somewhere in her travels.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely Curel. I wash my hands A LOT during the day and my hands used to get so dry that my fingers would actually crack and bleed. Scott gets really dry feet in the winter, and it helped with that too. My mom recommended it. She's an RN at a hospital and all of her co-workers use it too.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have extremely dry, irritated, red, sandpaper, carpenter hands when I use nothing. I get all of my cosmetic products from this store: http://usa.lush.com

I use Helping Hands in my purse, to carry around an reapply as needed. It's pretty heavy duty as it was made for nurses who wear latex gloves and wash their hands frequently. It also smells really pleasant.

I keep Dream Cream around at home. The scent isn't terrific (not bad either, just kinda nonexistent), but it's so soothing.

Every night before I go to bed, I do a treatment with The Soft Touch, which is one of their Buttercreams. It's amazing. I have new hands when I wake up in the morning.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I use Wool Wax Cream.
It's fabulous!

No clue where you can buy it, I know you can get it online, but my mother picks it up for me somewhere in her travels.
If you could find out, that would be amazing. My hands get butchered at work, and I'm always looking for a cure.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use udder cream and won't use anything else. I love it.
It is called udderly smooth and you can find it at most drug stores. Not greasy, smells good and is the only thing that works on my hands (I have psoriasis). Feels great on dry hands.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I have extremely dry, irritated, red, sandpaper, carpenter hands when I use nothing. I get all of my cosmetic products from this store: http://usa.lush.com

I use Helping Hands in my purse, to carry around an reapply as needed. It's pretty heavy duty as it was made for nurses who wear latex gloves and wash their hands frequently. It also smells really pleasant.

I keep Dream Cream around at home. The scent isn't terrific (not bad either, just kinda nonexistent), but it's so soothing.

Every night before I go to bed, I do a treatment with The Soft Touch, which is one of their Buttercreams. It's amazing. I have new hands when I wake up in the morning.
I ordered The Soft Touch -- thought I should do it now instead of later since it's one of the meltables! Thanks for the link.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another one here who uses Dream Cream. I am considering getting another handcream from Lush, I need a nice smelling one.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could remember the name of this stuff, maybe someone here will know. It is a barrier thing that is like wearing gloves even when you are not. I used it in school between massages and it was great. Pharmacies sell it with the diabetic supplies. I really helped when I had to wash my hands before and after every massage and evry time I went to the bathroom. Before I used it my hands were getting like sandpaper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

For starters you need to start protecting your hands at work. At work use a good silicone barrier skin cream, the kind that is used to prevent diaper rash. it will protect your skin from water. Reapply it through the day as needed.

Use a good thick intensive nourishing cream to moisturize your hands when not at work.

It's good to slather your hands in cream and put on a pair of cotton gloves at bedtime so that your skin can soak in the moisture.
I like the idea of a barrier skin cream Do you happen to know the name of it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Where would I get The soft touch?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do landscaping for a living and do not always wear gloves. I use the Gardener's line by Crabtree and Evelyn. The "Hand Recovery" is good when I want a good wash and then I will apply "Hand Therapy".
Sleeping with a good cream like Eucerin (not the fake stuff) and gloves does wonders too.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had problems with dry skin on the hands mainly and a dermatologist told me to use Elta Lite. The regular Elta is pretty heavy but the lite isn't. It can be hard to find, but works very well.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sherral46

Where would I get The soft touch?
You can order it online, at http://usa.lush.com (assuming you're in the US, otherwise go to http://www.lush.com and pick your country) but it isn't guaranteed to arrive intact during the summer, so you should order it soon. It has a pleasant scent, sweet and creamy, nothing too bold and nothing I'm extremely excited about, but it's nice and light and the cream does its job!

Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Another one here who uses Dream Cream. I am considering getting another handcream from Lush, I need a nice smelling one.
The Soft Touch smells really nice on the brick (it's one of those buttercream/solid lotion kinds of things), creamy and kind of sweet, but the smell doesn't linger. It's much better than Dream Cream anyway, whose scent I merely tolerate because of the wonderful things it does for my skin.

I've heard you can melt the Lush Temple Balms into the unscented Aveeno lotions and make, for instance, Flying Fox lotion. I am pretty much over the moon for Flying Fox/Godiva/Youki-Hi/Silky Underwear/Alkmaar/anything with Jasmine so I might try that! I just bought a ginormous thing of FF shower gel today.

If I'm not using Lush, I'm using Burt's Bees Milk and Honey or Burt's Bees Baby Bees lotions. They smell very nice...M&H made my bathrobe smell like warm, sweet milk all winter, which is a perfect scent for winding down and getting cozy.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Burt's Bees has a lot of great products, and the Baby Bee Buttermilk is my favorite -- I even use it on my face, because everything else is too harsh for my sensitive skin.

Burt also makes a lemony ointment that comes in a flat round tin, can't recall the name, but it's intended as a protective salve to apply before working with your hands. That's good, too.