Would you...?

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a question...

Would you give a kitten to a home knowing that when the new owners get the kitten the first thing they are planning to do is get it declawed? And, one of the people living in the home doesn't like cats. They also have very small children in the home. Would you give a kitten away to a home like this, or find a better home?

Thanks for your feedback...

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I wouldn't! Thank god you have that knowledge before hand, but my first feelings are what the kitten is feeling, and I don't want my nails removed!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, as a foster mom, it is my duty to make sure that i find the best possible home for my kitties-not one that things cat's should be deformed because they are doing something they were created to do- scratch and mark territory! instead,i would take the time to kindly ask if the potential owner knew what declawing entailed- i show a video from a website on my laptop if they want, and i also explaine how it can cause other health issues later in life and why it is not a good option. i then go on to explaine alternatives to them and how well they work!
soft claws, trimming nails, scratching posts/etc. usually by the time i explaine that they see why declawing is not a good option they opt for soft claws instead!
I go so far to even show them how to trim kittys nails and apply soft claws- anything to promote a good alternative to declawing!
if they still want to declaw at the end of a screening, i will NOT adopt out to them. It is not in the best interest of my kitties to place them in a home that would do that to them with all the research/alternatives available to them nowdays.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your conscience is clearly not going to let you do this.
Heck no, I wouldn't. I could not put an animal in a possibly abusive situation, and the guilt would eat me alive if it were a baby that I had raised.
Declawing aside, there is a chance that home could be abusive, non cat lover + child, all it would take is someone to get angry that the cat was trying to defend itself from rough handling or get away and the person could hurt the cat. No matter how kind or caring some people claim to be, they may not think before kicking... I've seen it happen too many times.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
after reading all the questions you have.
if you like your cats i think you answered your own question.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely not, it sounds like you already have come to that conclusion on your own anyway. To me bringing a cat into a household is just like adding a new member to your family. And if there is any question that that animal will not be loved and cherished as is, then perhaps the people looking to adopt that kitten should re-think aquiring a pet.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never in a million years. I would probably give them some nail clippers for the cat and some soft paws just to ensure that they don't declaw and if they still want to declaw then I would just refuse to give them the cat.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all I would never give a kitten away, certainly never place one in a home where it would be declawed.

Having small children isn't really that big of a deal, my nephew is 3 and has been around cats/kittens his whole life. He knows not to chase or grab at them.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
NO!

I certainly would not, so cruel. How would people like it if I came around with the plyers and pulled all their fingernails out.

That kitty would not be happy.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GrayFluffy

I have a question...

Would you give a kitten to a home knowing that when the new owners get the kitten the first thing they are planning to do is get it declawed? And, one of the people living in the home doesn't like cats. They also have very small children in the home. Would you give a kitten away to a home like this, or find a better home?

Thanks for your feedback...
You have asked a very simple question that requires no thought on my part. NO!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely not! In fact, when I am finding homes for kittens, one of the questions on the adoption application is "Do you plan on declawing this cat?". If the answer is yes or even a maybe, they do not get a cat from me. And then I reinforce that in my contract that if the cat is found to have been declawed they have broken the contract and the cat is returned to me immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies! I was feeling the same way, I just had to re-assure myself. I just thought there were too many red flags going up when I talked to these people.

I've heard that it's not good for kittens to be placed in homes where there are small children because if the child is not supervised or doesn't know how to handle the kitten they could hurt the kitten. Has anyone else heard of this?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
No way!!! The little thing deserves to go to a home where it will be loved, and the owners will be responsible.

Sorry im late to the thread