Reeses has to go to the V-E-T for a CBC

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh oh Reeses...she has an appoint with the Vet on Tuesday!
She's getting a CBC...can anyone tell me what that is for exactly?

Hopefully she forgot about the last time she had to go and she doesn't put up a fight when we try and get her in the carrier

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Complete Blood Count. That's the extent of my knowledge....I think it's a clood work-up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do vets usually count that as an exam too? I don't want to be charged for an exam when I'm just getting blood work. She's not due for a check up check up until November I believe anyway.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why did you make the appointment?
My vet doesn't do a blood count unless there is a problem.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a postcard in the mail from the vet saying that she was due for it.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why did you make the appointment? is there something wrong or did you just want to get a check up?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she?
I never got a card saying it was time for one until Spaz turned 10, they simply wanted senior base lines.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I think maybe the reason why they sent us the postcard saying she was due, is because she was pretty sick in November and maybe they want to check up on it?

Not sure,a ll I know is we were told she was due for it.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

How old is she?
I never got a card saying it was time for one until Spaz turned 10, they simply wanted senior base lines.
We think she'll be 2 years in August. We're not sure, we got her when she was about 15 months.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she's def too young for a senior, maybe they just want to get baselines.
Not a bad idea with all this bad pet food out there, get her kidney function checked and all that.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a vet sending a card for a CBC. If she was extremely ill they could just be checking her white count. CBC stand for complete blood count. It checks everything from white cells, red cells, platelets, hemoglobin, etc. They probably just want to make sure her levels are ok.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just call the vet monday but it sounds like they just want to follow up from November.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I've never had a vet sending a card for a CBC. If she was extremely ill they could just be checking her white count. CBC stand for complete blood count. It checks everything from white cells, red cells, platelets, hemoglobin, etc. They probably just want to make sure her levels are ok.
Many vets will do a complete blood panel, sometimes called a chem-8 or chem-12 or just a blood chemistry that they will run at the same time as the CBC. The blood chemistry will check liver function, kidney function and electrolyte levels. The CBC wil check for anemias, infections, clotting problems...those kind of things.
What was wrong with Reeses back in November? They may just be doing comparisons to make sure there's no on-going problems. You might want to call your vet to see exactly what they're looking for by doing the bloodwork. I just had two cats in last week for CBC and blood chemistry (one for renal failure and one to check borderline renal insufficiency.) It was well over $300 for both. YIKES!!! Although I feel extremely relieved that they are both stable in the high end of normal range of kidney function, but boy it was tough writing that check!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Many vets will do a complete blood panel, sometimes called a chem-8 or chem-12 or just a blood chemistry that they will run at the same time as the CBC. The blood chemistry will check liver function, kidney function and electrolyte levels. The CBC wil check for anemias, infections, clotting problems...those kind of things.
What was wrong with Reeses back in November? They may just be doing comparisons to make sure there's no on-going problems. You might want to call your vet to see exactly what they're looking for by doing the bloodwork. I just had two cats in last week for CBC and blood chemistry (one for renal failure and one to check borderline renal insufficiency.) It was well over $300 for both. YIKES!!! Although I feel extremely relieved that they are both stable in the high end of normal range of kidney function, but boy it was tough writing that check!
I will call and find out. I better not be paying that much if it's not 100% necessary. I know for one cat it wouldn't be $300, half that..and she's not getting blood chemistry done, but still it better not even be close to $100.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

You explained it better than I could and I know this stuff! lol Sorry to hear about your kitties.
But I hope they continue to stay stable and I know all about how hard it is to write that check. I am going to have to take Tedi to a cardiologist soon, but want to get Lexi checked out also before I take him.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I will call and find out. I better not be paying that much if it's not 100% necessary. I know for one cat it wouldn't be $300, half that..and she's not getting blood chemistry done, but still it better not even be close to $100.
CBC normally costs around $30 give or take a few depending on where you live. Tedi just had one done so that is the only reason I know.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Woops forgot to say what was wrong. She was just throwing up alot and wasn't keeping any food down. Then she was having diahreah around January or so.