Purina One or Nutro

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going to be moving in with my mom in a few months and I am trying to figure out the best dry food for the 7 cats. They are all free fed the d/f.
The adults are over 5 years old as their weight as follows
Princess cat is at a healthy weight
Lucky, Molly, Cello & Spunky cats are overweight
Connor is a little heavy

Benson is 8 months old and average weight.

I feed Benson, Lucky & Molly Nutro Indoor Weight Management.

Mom feeds her cats (Princess, Cello, Spunky & Connor) the Purina One adult care Healthy Weight Formula.

Which do you think is better for the mix? I gave mom some of the Nutro to see if her cats would like it and they wouldn't touch it. Molly & Lucky aren't too picky.

I like how Molly's & Lucky's coat changed on the Nutro d/f.
Mom's kitty Spunky has a horrible coat (he needs to see the vet also).

I am looking for advice on the best balanced diet. They all eat Friskies or Whiskies can food. I am limited on pricing too. I really can't go anymore expensive then we are now.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to give you a heads up, very few companies were hit harder by the food recall than Nutro.

Also, you may want to look around at pricing for some better cat foods out there. I'm feeding mine Felidae right now which I get at the local pet store, and I find they eat A LOT less then when they were eating Whiskas, just for the fact that they get all the nutrients they need in less food. Also, their litter box needs to be cleaned out less often, and it doesn't smell nearly as bad.

So, in a nutshell, even when a food seems more expensive, you'll usually make up the difference in the amount they eat, the amount of litter they use, and less trips to the vet. On top of that you'll get happier, softer, more energetic cats.

Just something to think about. Check the local stores, and try to find out the difference you'd be paying per Kg for something a bit better.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina ONE Healthy Weight Formula

Ingredients

Turkey, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soy flour, brewers rice, whole grain corn, soybean hulls*, fish meal, brewers dried yeast, non-fat yogurt, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), phosphoric acid, wheat gluten, animal digest, calcium carbonate, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, taurine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
G-4177
*5% - a source of fiber
i personally wouldn't feed it because of the wheat gluten, with all of the recalls going on. nutro would be the better choice, given a choice of only those 2.

i also don't like the soy and by-products in ONE.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Guaranteed analysis

CRUDE PROTEIN (MIN) 40.0% Great till you figure out from where

CRUDE FAT (MIN) 9.0%

CRUDE FIBER (MAX) 5.0%

MOISTURE (MAX) 12.0%

LINOLEIC ACID (MIN) 1.4% Coat care not real high

CALCIUM (CA) (MIN) 0.8%

PHOSPHORUS (P) (MIN) 0.7%

SELENIUM (Se) (MIN) 0.30 mg/kg

VITAMIN A (MIN) 11,000 IU/kg

VITAMIN E (MIN) 100 IU/kg

TAURINE (MIN) 0.15%

Ingredients

Turkey, poultry by-product mealI wont feed unless I know exactly what as this can be heads ft intestines
, corn gluten mealthis is fine , soy flour, brewers rice, whole grain cornwith corn gluten no need for strait corn, soybean hulls*, indigestable fiber and allergen potentialfish mealI want to know who, brewers dried yeast, non-fat yogurtDairy and cats usually dont mix, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E)Whose??, phosphoric acid, wheat gluten, animal digestSEE by product, calcium carbonate, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, taurine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
G-4177
*5% - a source of fiber
http://www.purinaone.com/products_cat_weightmanage.asp
Manufactured by: Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, St. Louis, MO 63164

Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) procedures substantiate that Purina ONE Special Care Healthy Weight Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for maintenance of adult cats.

Nutro

http://www.nutroproducts.com/nccciw.asp

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice Flourlittle extra rice???, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Oat Fiber, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Vegetable Fiber (Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Water Cress, Spinach)for hairball , Tomato Pomace, Potassium Chloride, Soy Protein ConcentratePossible allergen , Cranberry Powder, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Dried Egg Product, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Carnitine, Inositol, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Chicory Root, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.
Nutro supports the safe, ethical and humane treatment of all animals, including those used by our suppliers who provide our ingredients.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein(min) 32.00%
Crude Fat (min) 10.00%
Crude Fat (max) 13.00%
Still low but it is wt control
Crude Fiber (max) 4.50%
Moisture (max) 10.00%
Ash (max) 7.25%
Linoleic Acid (min) 3.50%
Arachidonic Acid (ARA)(min) 0.05%

Calcium (min) 0.80%
Phosphorus (min) 0.70%
Manganese (min) 35 mg/kg
Manganese (max) 0.085%
Iron (min) 200 mg/kg
Zinc (min) 225 mg/kg
Vitamin D (min) 1,500 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) 250 IU/kg
Taurine(min) 0.18%
Alpha-Linolenic Acid (min)* 0.60%
Ascorbic Acid (min)* 50 mg/kg
Beta Carotene (min)* 3.8 mg/kg
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (min)* 0.06%
L-Carnitine (min)* 100 mg/kg
Total Bacillus Species (min)*
(Bacillus licheniformis and Bacillus subtilis) 565 Million CFU†/lb

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Over-all, ingredients wise....Nutro is a better food. But, IMO Chicken Soup might be another one to look in to. About the same price, but better ingredients, IMO.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wmarcello

Just to give you a heads up, very few companies were hit harder by the food recall than Nutro.

Also, you may want to look around at pricing for some better cat foods out there. I'm feeding mine Felidae right now which I get at the local pet store, and I find they eat A LOT less then when they were eating Whiskas, just for the fact that they get all the nutrients they need in less food. Also, their litter box needs to be cleaned out less often, and it doesn't smell nearly as bad.

So, in a nutshell, even when a food seems more expensive, you'll usually make up the difference in the amount they eat, the amount of litter they use, and less trips to the vet. On top of that you'll get happier, softer, more energetic cats.

Just something to think about. Check the local stores, and try to find out the difference you'd be paying per Kg for something a bit better.
NOT REALLY since only the cut and gravy were involved and make up 10% of Nutros line

Felidea is good if it works ... the drys have NEVER worked for my kids ... they do like the chn and rice wet

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

NOT REALLY since only the cut and gravy were involved and make up 10% of Nutros line
Well, when you compare Nutro to the Walmart brands, maybe they weren't hit hard, but 10% of a company's line being hit would be more than enough incentive for me to find a different food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharky can you explain why you highlighted certain areas (or pm me). I had looked up the ingredients and nutrients online but I don't know much about them.

I agree about the Purina with the wheat gluten. I was so upset when I saw that at mom's house.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul...it's a very good food, and a decent price. In my area, it's cheaper than Nutro, which I'd personally avoid like the plague since the recall.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken soups light Has a few things I dont like... the reg I do like

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

I second the Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul...it's a very good food, and a decent price. In my area, it's cheaper than Nutro, which I'd personally avoid like the plague since the recall.
Just to reinforce what a few of us have been saying, there are some pretty affordable premium foods out there. In my area, I researched a couple nearby pet stores and calculated just how much some of this food was per Kg.

$3.66 - Whiskas
$4.48 - Nutrience
$5.23 - IAMS
$5.96 - Science Diet
$6.00 - Felidae
$6.05 - Purina Pro Plan
$6.32 - Nutro
$6.60 - Innova
$7.34 - Eukanuba
$9.39 - Wellness

Those are just some foods in my area. The prices in your area will no doubt differ. I found the ingredients in the Felidae that we feed our cats to be better than most of the other brands there, and certainly just as affordable. Some of those brands aren't very good at all. Some of those brands have been hit heavily by the recall. If you do a little research, I'm sure you'll find something you can be happy with.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll throw in a third vote for Chicken Soup
priced between Nutro and Purina, no wheat gluten, no corn at all, I've never had a cat not like it, although others have, but I free fed the regular adult formula to my whole crew, all from 8 weeks to 3 or 4 years, and I can honestly say I have no weight problems, well, okay, I have one little piggy
and my cats have gorgeous coats and small, hard stools, not stinky. if you check out their website it has a dealer locator too

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken soup REG is fine the LIGHT is ???able

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutro dry is great. I feed my cats the dry and supplement with Innova Evo. I tried putting my cat, Jake on a Purina dry food back in the fall and it almost killed him. Well, It was one of the factors. I'm not saying Purina is dangerous. Just be careful about changing your cat's diets when they've already been on a food as good as Nutro dry. Yes, there are other premiums that are just as good. But just be very careful about changing your cats' diet. Especially when they are going to be under stress from moving in with a bigger extended family! Stress and diet change can = disaster. Been there, done that!
By the way, I did try Chicken Soup and my cats refused to eat it. I was a bit dissapointed because I thought it could be a good alternative. Here it is the same price as Nutro. About $26 for a large 20 something pound bag.

I dissagree with the statement that no company was hit harder then Nutro on the food recall. Absolutely not true. There were other companies that had a much larger share of their foods made by menu at the affected plants. The foods that Nutro had in the recall were a small percentage of what they make and were only their cuts and gravy type pouched and a small percentage of their canned foods. The canned foods that Nutro recalled was due to Nutro's decission to voluntarily stop shipment of ANY canned or pouched food that has wheat glutten in it until Nutro can produce it safely. Nutro dry foods are not made by menu foods and are safe to use.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I dissagree with the statement that no company was hit harder then Nutro on the food recall. Absolutely not true. There were other companies that had a much larger share of their foods made by menu at the affected plants. The foods that Nutro had in the recall were a small percentage of what they make and were only their cuts and gravy type pouched and a small percentage of their canned foods. The canned foods that Nutro recalled was due to Nutro's decission to voluntarily stop shipment of ANY canned or pouched food that has wheat glutten in it until Nutro can produce it safely. Nutro dry foods are not made by menu foods and are safe to use.
In my defense, I didn't say that no company was hit harder than Nutro, I said that very few companies were hit harder than Nutro. I further went on to qualify that I wasn't really counting the "walmart" brands in that statement. Nutro considers themselves a premium food, so IMO we should hold them to higher standards.

You make a good point that their dry food does not have anything to do with Menu Foods. Maybe you're a more forgiving person than I am, but I personally think that the companies hit by this recall should suffer it in their pocketbooks, so I'm trying my best to aid that. There's obviously big quality control issues going on in the pet food industry, so in my mind the more people that buy foods not affected by the recall, the more pressure there will be on other companies to step up.

I guess the underlying issue we have to remember here is that it is our pets' health that should be the primary concern, and you do raise a good point about keeping the stress level down in the household. If keeping the cats on the familiar Nutro diet helps, then it could definitely be a good choice. Just because I'm not a big fan at the moment doesn't mean it won't be the best thing for the kitties.

Sorry if I've offended.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I throw in my recommendation for Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul (and kitten!) both are excellent!

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats Purina Cat Chow dry. It's not what you'd call a high quality food, but my vet has always recommended it. I don't think it has wheat gluten in it.
I would like to switch to something better for them, but honestly, at this point I wouldn't know where to begin.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueheart

I feed my cats Purina Cat Chow dry. It's not what you'd call a high quality food, but my vet has always recommended it. I don't think it has wheat gluten in it.
I would like to switch to something better for them, but honestly, at this point I wouldn't know where to begin.
For now Dry is still safe .. The new NB venison recall is of unknown origin ...

Look into

Nutro
felidea
Solid gold
chicken soup
these are often reasonabley priced chicken soup is very reasonable at a feed store( one that sells horse food)

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm still feeding Nutro and Science Diet. I actually tried the Chicken Soup brand and NO ONE would touch it. So I took it to work and tried giving it to this cat that comes and sits outside the window and watches me work. (yowling until I go out and give her a treat) She wouldn't eat it either. I've never found another brand my cats so collectively disliked as this. Maybe it's too healthy for them...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

We are going to be moving in with my mom in a few months and I am trying to figure out the best dry food for the 7 cats. They are all free fed the d/f.
The adults are over 5 years old as their weight as follows
Princess cat is at a healthy weight
Lucky, Molly, Cello & Spunky cats are overweight
Connor is a little heavy

Benson is 8 months old and average weight.

I feed Benson, Lucky & Molly Nutro Indoor Weight Management.

Mom feeds her cats (Princess, Cello, Spunky & Connor) the Purina One adult care Healthy Weight Formula.

Which do you think is better for the mix? I gave mom some of the Nutro to see if her cats would like it and they wouldn't touch it. Molly & Lucky aren't too picky.

I like how Molly's & Lucky's coat changed on the Nutro d/f.
Mom's kitty Spunky has a horrible coat (he needs to see the vet also).

I am looking for advice on the best balanced diet. They all eat Friskies or Whiskies can food. I am limited on pricing too. I really can't go anymore expensive then we are now.
I was feeding my overweight cat Nutro Weight Management and then switched him to Wellness Healthy Weight (both dry formulas)! My Tiger was getting only a 1/2 cup a day and after being on Nutro WM for a year (he gained about 4 pounds) he now weighs about 16 pounds! I noticed no weight loss but actual weight gain! This may not be the same for all cats but I am actually taking my Tiger off of weight management foods all together since they were not beneficial in any way! I also have him on a wet/dry diet! Eventually all wet is the plan but with him baby steps are a must! I liked the Nutro kitten brand just wasn't pleased with the weight management formulas of any brand I tried!

I like Nutro, Wellness ( cost more than nutro), and just recently Felidae Wet Food! I am NOT a fan of weight management food anymore!!!!