Lily the chunky kitty

lilysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I come back after a long time away, but can definitely use some help. Took Lily to the vet this morning. The vet said she is 13 pounds and he would like to see her at 11 pounds. He prescribed Felovite II and Prozyme, and recommended getting a low-cal dry food.

Anyone have any opinions on Felovite and/or Prozyme? Can use some tips on how to administer Felovite as I put some on Lily's paw which she was not so thrilled about, but did lick it off eventually. Any tips on a effective diet plan?

Thanks and good to be back!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I don't know what Felovite and Prozyme are. I just had Seb weighed, he is 14.8 lbs. (he is in my sig on top of a 17" monitor). Vet said he was a big boy but healthy. I was more worried because he didn't seem to do much more than sleep and eat. I tried all types of toys with him. So, we got a kitten. I think a young cat would have been fine too. (I usually think that at 3am!) He is much more active now. Still sleeps a lot as cats do but when he is awake he is moving.
I believe the best way to lost weight is to burn more calories than are taken in. Others probably will disagree with me as to the weight thing but since I am a large woman, I am quite used to that

How old is your Lily?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you currently feeding? Canned food tends to be more effective at helping cats lose weight than dry food. Dry food is much higher in carbohydrates and fillers--cats do better with high protein and more water in their food. My boyfriend's folks have 5 cats, three of which are on a diet. The youngest used to be the second largest but has done quite well with the little bit of dry food as a snack and canned meals--she's dropped from 17 pounds to 15 pounds and looks much more svelte.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lily gets dry food all day long (ooopppsss!!!) and gets wet food once every few days. The reason being I heard too much wet food can lead to tooth problems...What's the better of the two evils? Oh the anxiety of being a kitty mommy!!!

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilysMommy

Lily gets dry food all day long (ooopppsss!!!) and gets wet food once every few days. The reason being I heard too much wet food can lead to tooth problems...What's the better of the two evils? Oh the anxiety of being a kitty mommy!!!
The notion that dry food is better for a cat's teeth has not been proven.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=...dcleantheteeth

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way to combat tooth problems is to brush their teeth!
It can be done--I'm starting to get Odo (who is about 15 years old!) into the routine of nightly brushing.