Meet The Newest Member of my Furry Family! (plus a couple of questions)

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm such a sucker!

I was posting some junk on Freecycle a couple of days ago, when someone posted a Guinea Pig to give away. I had a chat with her on Instant Messenger and found that she had to re-home him due to her landlord, so I caved!

His name is Jake and he is approximately three months old. He came with cage and accessories, even though the cage he is in isn't quite big enough for him to stay in forever. I'm going to build him a cage like the ones on CavyCages soon.

He's super affectionate, and so lovable!

For you guinea pig lovers, I do have a couple of questions....

He nibbles fingers A LOT! He hasn't bitten hard, but it makes me a little nervous at times. I read that this is b/c he is young and that he will grow out of it. Any of you know this to be true??

Another thing is that he eats like a PIG! (no pun intended)
He goes through a ton of food a day! Mostly his hay and his greens, but some pellets too. Is this normal??

Thanks for any input/advice, I've done my research, but first hand experiences are always a plus!

Here's some more pics of the fluffy little guy!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww!!! How cute is he?! I used to have a white hamster- he had red eyes, I think he was an albino? I always wanted a Guinia Pig! How does Madden like him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's just been watching him through the cage so far....Madden's really far to lazy to get to concerned about most things!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

He's just been watching him through the cage so far....Madden's really far to lazy to get to concerned about most things!
Sounds like Harley!!

Enjoy your new fluffy friend!!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg he is CUTE!!
he looks like my RB Turbo. I think he will grow out of it.
Yes, it's normal for him to go through a lot of food. my RB Rosie would wheek (that's what I call it) anytime anyone opened up the fridge.
make sure you give him a variety of things to eat.
we always gave our piggies the husk off of corn on the cob.
they really like kale. (sp?)

here's a list of fruit and veggie charts for guinea pigs.
http://www.guinealynx.com/charts.html

and here's a site that helped me out a lot with my piggies.
http://www.guinealynx.com/

good luck and Congrats!!!
Enjoy him!

ETA : here is what they need every day..

Every cavy needs daily:
Vitamin C
Fresh Water
Quality Pellets
Unlimited Grass Hay
Fresh Vegetables

http://www.guinealynx.com/diet.html

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what makes a great home for guinea pigs? Get the BIGGEST Sterilite or clear Rubber Maid container you can find with the biggest bottom dimensions. Then, you can take the lid, have someone saw around the edge, and you can attach a mesh screen inside the lid, so that the lid will still pop onto the container, and the piggie can have proper ventilation...you can use a vertical water bottle, attach a wire to the top of the bottle, and hang the bottle from the top of the lid. It's awesome, and dirt CHEAP!!!!!!!!!

*Carefresh is an awesome litter...FAR more safer than wood chips or shavings of any kind...and yes, timothy hay!!!

*Try Gertie Guinea Pig food...it's by the same folks that used to make "Harry Hamster" and all of those foods...I think it's "Gertie"...I can't remember.

Love the pic of him digging through his hay trough...cute!!!

To avoid being bitten, the best thing NOT to do is to offer your fingers like a treat in front of his little mouth. The movement may entice him to taste test you! Also, make sure you wash your hands before handling him, otherwise you could smell like something yummy he might want to eat!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on Jake, what a sweetie
I love the mussed up fur

I used to have 'pigs' when I was a kid, my dad built me a great big cage & run for them, you could put it in the garden in the summer months and they totally loved chomping on the grass & stuff

Keep us posted .....ooo and photos of course

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the advice and kind words!! He really is a doll! I've never met a guinea pig more affectionate and people loving than Jake is!

I'm trying to incorporate a wide variety of veggies and fruits into his diet, he LOVES carrots, which kinda sucks since he can't have too many of those, but he also loves Romaine Lettuce, which is a little better. I'm offering bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, grapefruit, bananas etc...but he seems to be a bit picky. He did eat his cucumber today, so I guess we're making progress!

I love the pic with him on the trough too!! He didn't have any kind of hay rack when I got him so I made him that one and he seems to love it! This morning I found him completely IN it!!
I guess its sturdy enough!!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new addition! What a cutie!
Keep us updated!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake is adorable!! I used to have a guinea pig when I was a kid...and I loved that thing to pieces!! Enjoy your new 'lil guy~hes precious.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jakes doing so great!!
He's eating any kind of veggie that I put in for him to try, and is a very happy little guy!! He had his first floor time exercise yesterday which he absolutely LOVED!!

Theres a video in Pet Pics if anyone wants to see him popcorn!!

He's so much fun and has so much personality!

patch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful. Glad you've been doing your research too - he will be really happy once you build him a C&C cage. Is he getting a friend soon?

wookie130, I'm sorry but I don't agree. Bin/tub cages make brilliant cages for hamsters but for guinea pigs they're not big enough and don't provide enough ventilation. Gertie guinea pig is full of colourings, seeds and nuts aswell.

What pellets are you feeding him?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Patch

He is beautiful. Glad you've been doing your research too - he will be really happy once you build him a C&C cage. Is he getting a friend soon?

wookie130, I'm sorry but I don't agree. Bin/tub cages make brilliant cages for hamsters but for guinea pigs they're not big enough and don't provide enough ventilation. Gertie guinea pig is full of colourings, seeds and nuts aswell.

What pellets are you feeding him?
I'm looking to possibly adopt another male after I get his new cage built.
I'm a little nervous of trying to keep two males together, but I'm going to do my best to introduce them properly etc. to make it work! I know he will be much happier with a friend. It may be a little while before I can work that out though. If I would've planned this (instead of him sort of falling in my lap
) I would've gotten a pair. Now we'll just have to see if he'll accept another male. He seems to have a pretty dominant personality.

Right now Jake is eating LM Animal Farms Classic Blend Guinea Pig Food. It has no dyes or seeds, but its not the best ingredient wise. Its the food that came with him and I'm looking into better pellets for him when what little is left in the bag runs out.