Dinner tonight.....

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're making some French Onion soup....the onions are simmering down as we speak. I've heard the trick is to do this step really slowly for the best flavour.

Anyway, I was going to do an easy apple pork roast to go with it (w/ rice and carrots). We went to the store and the pork roasts were really expensive and didn't look great. But there was a good looking beef roast for $14, so we grabbed that. I'm not doing a full roast beef tonight, though (too much work and I've been feeling a migraine coming on all day), so it'll be sunday dinner. For tonight, I grabbed some very cheap (under $4) sirloin pork chops......I've never cooked them before, but I assume they're not the greatest cut of meat since they cost next to nothing.

I just dredged them in flour with some garlic powder and a touch of ginger, then browned them a bit in butter. Now, I've thrown them in the crockpot with 2/3 cup of brown sugar and a snack size package of cinnamon apple sauce. I'm hoping the slow cooking, combined with the moisture of the applesauce/sugar will counteract any toughness that the cut of meat might have......

The only trouble is, I'm unfamiliar with this cut of meat, so I'm not sure how long they should be in to get it just right. There is about 1.5lbs of pork in 2 longish pieces. How long do you think I should be cooking them?

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I can't help you...I'm clueless in the kitchen.

I'm just having left over pot roast and potatoes for supper *yummy*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

I'm sorry I can't help you...I'm clueless in the kitchen.

I'm just having left over pot roast and potatoes for supper *yummy*
Oh yes, I read about your pot roast. I'm glad it went well for you! Leftovers are awesome; I wish I had some because then I wouldn't have to cook.
The crockpot is the next best thing, though, because you don't have to actually BE in the kitchen.
I actually usually do my pot roasts in the crockpot too. Hopefully, the pork will just get better and better the longer we leave it in there. I did find my meat thermometer, so at least I'll be able to keep from taking it out too early.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well for pork chops, if that's what you have I normally bake them in the oven and leave them for about 45 minutes until good and tender. and normally at about 350 -400 degrees F

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Well for pork chops, if that's what you have I normally bake them in the oven and leave them for about 45 minutes until good and tender. and normally at about 350 -400 degrees F
That's how I bake pork too. These were packaged as sirloin chops (I think), but are more tenderloin shaped than pork chop shaped. They're in the crock pot, so I know it'll be longer than 45 minutes. Luckily, the meat thermometer should help me know when they're good and cooked.