new kitty, Lindy

cntrygrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just came home today. was a rescue from a shelter. she is about a year old, one blue eye, one green eye. sweet and cuddly.

she is presently in daughter's room to adjust her to a house setting and hopes that she can meet her housemate, abbey, soon! she was turned out into the snow in february, rescued and brought to the shelter. she has never been in a house. anyhow, she is hiding under the bed. when i can bring her out, she is loving and sweet but she is not coming out voluntarily. do i just keep her in there and let her find her way? i'm not impatient, really. i just want to know if i'm doing right by her letting her hide under the bed. litter box and food are in the bedroom too.

thanks!

cntrygrl

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her time, if she's friendly with you she'll come around. This is a big change for her. Give her some quiet time to explore the bedroom on her own.
Wet food and other treats may help in getting her to come out, make sure to sit on the floor when giving her this, she'll feel less threatened then if you were standing over her. If she was a stray she'll probably respond to human food, little bites of boiled or baked chicken without seasonings (and no bones), slowly tossed under the bed to lure her out or at least to the edge of it might work. But try not to push her too much too soon.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on you kitty
Take it slow and gain her trust, using food is a great idea! Spend some time quietly in the room with her reading or something and move slowly around her, she'll come around. It may take awhile, don't rush it. She sounds like a very sweet girl

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd leave her in there for about a week. Let her really get used to the sounds and smells in your home and to you. I wouldn't let her interact with your other kitty until Lindy's been seen by your vet and gets a clean bill of health.

Don't rush her and don't be too concerned if she doesn't come out from under the bed for awhile. Go into the room and sit with her and read to her and play with her. This will get her used to the sound of your voice and your scent.

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cntrygrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she's out of the bedroom and now is hiding in the basement. she is a lover when you pick her up and pet her or sit with her. it's trying to get her to come out from hiding. this is ok...yes?

i'm also concerned that she has not eaten or had a drink since she's been here even though i put water and food on my fingers for her to taste. no interest whatsover.

any ideas?

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cntrygrl

she's out of the bedroom and now is hiding in the basement. she is a lover when you pick her up and pet her or sit with her. it's trying to get her to come out from hiding. this is ok...yes?

i'm also concerned that she has not eaten or had a drink since she's been here even though i put water and food on my fingers for her to taste. no interest whatsover.

any ideas?
some cats wont take food from ur hands my tessa doesnt! Also are u monitoring how much food u put in the bowl for her! u gotta remember this is all new to her! She just came from a shelter it usually takes a few days or so to come out! She is probly just scared and confused but she should come out of her shell soon!

Also CONGRATS on the new kittie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, please keep her confined to one room for about a week or so - she's hiding cause she doesn't know where anything is. And she should meet the resident cat(s) slowly.

Keep her in the bedroom with litter pan, food and water. BTW put the food/water on one side, litter pan on the other. Cats don't like eating next to the "toilet"

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try bribing her with canned tuna or all meat baby food. It's not a great long term solution but worth a try
How is she doing today?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the URL for a sticky at the top of this forum --

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22301

Before you go any further with this kitten, please read through some of the articles in that thread -- particularly the one about "Introducing New Cats To Old." Taking it slow and easy can make a huge difference in how well she adjusts to your household and how well she gets along with your other animals. Good luck!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations, and welcome to TCS! Yes, what you are doing is perfect! It sometimes takes cats awhile to feel comfortable enough to roam around. But when you aren't in the room and it's nice and quiet I'm sure she peeks her head out to see what's going on! She's just scared, it will take a little while getting used to! Good luck!