Kitten-proofing home

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd like to hear everyone's input on what should be done to prep my place for a new kitten. (and first cat).

I plan to use the 2nd bathroom as the "kitten's room." I'm wondering what kind of things cats will get into. Specifically, do I need to remove the hand soap from the bathroom counter? Do kittens get into bottom cupboards? Should I get cabinet locks (like for todders) for underneath my kitchen sink, where I keep cleaning supplies?

I plan to use a baby gate or shut the bathroom door while I am away until the kitten gets adjusted. How high can kittens jump? At what age will they be able to jump over a baby gate?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A baby gate? For kittens? I had a 5 week old climb over it one time. Don't bother with them.

Put away anything that they can eat that will harm them. Never leave rubber bands laying around. Same with floss. Get garbage cans with lids in case you throw things like those away. Cats don't particularly like hand soap and if they launch it on the floor, it probably won't break anyway.

Some cats never figure out how to open cabinet doors. But if they do, usually strong magnet clips will work to prevent them. I use them on cabinets with supplies that are toxic for cats, or put those in closets where they can't open the door.

Knick-nacks? They are fair game if you leave them out. Kittens will get into just about anything and everything. I simply look around my house and if there is anything that could break or anything dangerous, it gets put away. Glass curio cabinets are wonderful things to own.

Kitchen: learn to put food away. Learn to not leave dishes on the counter. If you leave things like bread on your counter, learn to use the microwave or fridge for storage.

I can't think of more - cat proofing my house comes so natural after living with them for 30+ years that I don't think much about it anymore.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Kitchen: learn to put food away. Learn to not leave dishes on the counter. If you leave things like bread on your counter, learn to use the microwave or fridge for storage.
LOL! Isn't that the truth. We put clean and put dishes away right after our meals. If we don't, the cat will eat whatever she can get. She is so not picky.