Ugh! I hate writer's block!!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on my last paper that i need to write for the semester. I'm in the coffee shop (otherwise boyfriend and the cats will be too distracting) and I've been here for 3 hours.

I have just a little over a page written and I feel like I'm writing it in a different language. I reread it and what I write doesn't make sense and I'm second guessing myself.

Maybe food will help...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck hon! I remember writer's block. I was an english major and had it many times. What I did was just babble...type anything that comes in your mind. Eventually, I would find the train of thought that I could go with. Maybe it would work for you. BTW, yes, eating helps too!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that! Maybe a little chocolate will help?

Sending many GO AWAY WRITERS BLOCK vibes to you!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

...What I did was just babble...type anything that comes in your mind. Eventually, I would find the train of thought that I could go with...
That's great advice!
As anyone who has read my long, long, long posts can guess, writer's block is not usually a problem for me.
But when it does strike, I get up and do something else for awhile -- something that lets my mind wander freely, like housework or a stroll around the block. Eventually, a thought drifts in and you can snatch it up and run with it.

When I'm really desperate, I'll start talking out loud, telling some imaginary listener all about what I'm trying to write. That's especially helpful when you need to come up with clear explanations, analogies, that sort of thing.

Good luck!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a link that might help. http://www.43folders.com/2004/11/18/...writers-block/
Going through grad school I had to write way too many papers (and that thesis was a killer) and sometimes writers block was a concern. I tend to be a procrastinator big time by heart and found the time crunch helped my writer's block considerably.
Like someone else said, I found just writing something, anything, helps. Then you can go back and proof read later. I am a reader; I found also reading for a long time helped. Reading and writing go together pretty well for me
Even if it was just a dog book, a small break helps. The Internet didn't help so much; it was more of a distraction for me.
Good luck!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I'm on my last paper that i need to write for the semester. I'm in the coffee shop (otherwise boyfriend and the cats will be too distracting) and I've been here for 3 hours.

I have just a little over a page written and I feel like I'm writing it in a different language. I reread it and what I write doesn't make sense and I'm second guessing myself.

Maybe food will help...
What's the topic? Maybe we can throw you some ideas to get you started?

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well goodluck! I hope the writers block goes away. I have to finish my papers too and hand them in Monday or tuesday, so I'm sitting here stressing now too.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck on the papers! And I hope the writer's block has passed.

I'm with you on the end-of-semester stressing. I'm taking Microbiology this semester. The teacher's been very nice, the class has been very organized. But we've had so much "stuff" to do in this class.

I have a lab report due on Thursday (mostly done) a disease report due next week (also mostly done) and a report on an unknown bacteria which I have to identify due next week.

That's not done. In fact, my unknown bacteria is STILL unknown. Arrgh. The only good thing is that my practical is on these different tests that show different bacterial charactoristics, and I've done about half of them now on this report! So I should have no problems at all on the practical.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

What's the topic? Maybe we can throw you some ideas to get you started?
Oh! Sorry got busy with other things yesterday. Ummm...does any one know software programming? I'm suppose to put together security standards (such as in-process reviews) into a developmental program.

I'm a little better today. What I wrote yesterday wasn't even remotely close and now I'm going through a bunch of government standards and procedures for writing code.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Oh! Sorry got busy with other things yesterday. Ummm...does any one know software programming? I'm suppose to put together security standards (such as in-process reviews) into a developmental program.

I'm a little better today. What I wrote yesterday wasn't even remotely close and now I'm going through a bunch of government standards and procedures for writing code.
Sorry, can't help you with software programming. But I can tell you the best kind of media to use if you want to grow a bacteria that ferments glucose

How much longer is the semester?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm suppose to put together security standards (such as in-process reviews) into a developmental program.
Well so much for the idea of tossing out ideas! I don't even know what you said there, LOL

I did a search of that string, and came up with this link. Maybe it will twig some ideas for you.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good luck!!!

i am however sorry i can not confrim or deny i know anything about software programming.

mostly cause it makes mmy head hurt, and it always puts me in a very bad mood.
so i no longer say i know anything about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

good luck!!!

i am however sorry i can not confrim or deny i know anything about software programming.

mostly cause it makes mmy head hurt, and it always puts me in a very bad mood.
so i no longer say i know anything about it.
I don't blame you. I cried during my first programming class because I couldn't program anything.
So I just stuck with networks and such.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't blame you. I cried during my first programming class because I couldn't program anything.
So I just stuck with networks and such.
lol yea, i can understand that, my first c class, i felt sooo lost.
The first IT job i had was programming on AS400's i wanted to be a game programmer. But then a couple of friends worked for a big game company and both left within months of getting the jobs. It was not what we thought it would be.. we still talk about making are own video game some day.

then once i started getting into servers, and networks, i found that it was more fun, and i was not realliy stuck with staring at code all day. Granted i still get head aches but it comes more from dealing with people then the work.