French Onion soup recipe?

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a good recipe for French Onion soup? My mom has one, but she's at work. My boyfriend wants me to make up a batch for supper tonight. I said okay.....then he said "What are you going to make with it? How about roast beef?" So, now I've really gotten myself into something! I'm not commiting to a roast until I see the prices/selection at the store. But he does want beef.
I've told him that he gets to do the onion cutting since he doesn't seem to realize just how many onions are involved here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I don't have one, but have you done a search on Food Network or Allrecipes.com I usually have good luck with these sites
I use AllRecipes too! I found one on there that looks pretty good.....now I'm just waiting for bf to get up from his nap (he had a late night, then an early meeting) so we can go shopping.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a recipe, but now I just throw all the stuff together. I LOVE french onion soup, especially homemade with crocks.

I put 2 cans consomme beef broth, one can regular beef broth, 1 can vegetable broth, dash of white pepper, a few dashes of Worchesterchire (sp?) sauce, a cup or so of white cooking wine (at the end), lots of onions (duh!), and of course, an assortment of mozzarella and provolone on top of texas toast when it goes in the over. Be sure to carmelize your onions in real butter before throwing them in, and let it simmer for a few hours to get all the flavors into the broth.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found that it's easier to just use Lipton Onion Soup mix, replace some of the water you add with white wine, add some sliced onion and simmer.

Serve as you would any onion soup...over croutons and topped with melted cheese.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas! I'm currently at the onion caramelizing part.....I'm doing it very slowly. This is the French Onion Soup Recipe we decided to try.....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Thanks for the ideas! I'm currently at the onion caramelizing part.....I'm doing it very slowly. This is the French Onion Soup Recipe we decided to try.....
You'll find that it won't taste all that different from using the method I posted above. I used to slave over onion soup and then decided one day to try doctoring up Lipton Onion Soup mix and found that it's just as good...and so much easier.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You'll find that it won't taste all that different from using the method I posted above. I used to slave over onion soup and then decided one day to try doctoring up Lipton Onion Soup mix and found that it's just as good...and so much easier.
I'll definitely have to try it your way next time! We had already started this method (and done our shopping for the day) when I saw your post, but if it's as good as you say, I'm sure it'll be a hit next time we try have French Onion soup.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone vegetarian looks at this thread can I just point out that Epona and I find that using Marmite works out really well

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do my french onion soup with vegetable stocks cubes, loads of onions, black pepper salt and 1/2 spoon of sugar. Boil that all up for a good while. Then toasted bread croutons and lashings of mozzeralla on top...yum.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take it from someone who has been in the cooking biz for years, the best recipe for French Onion Soup is the most basic.
When I make it I use red and white onions, sautee them until they start to weep ( become clear and soft) a lot of people recommend carmelizing them but you got to be careful or you'll get a burnt taste.
After the onions are soft add 2 litres( sorry from Canada, 2 quarts) of water for every 3 onions.
Then you add either, beef soup base, demi-glaze, or beef boullion.
Let it simmer for a bit and when it taste like onion soup, it is.
I make large croutons from whole wheated bread toast in the oven.
Spray with cooking spray flavoured if you like, sprinkle with coarse salt, garlic and a little sage.
Top with a mixture of mozzella and parm cheese.
Yummy, guess whatI think I will have for dinner tonight.