Housten, we now have a problem...

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, yesterday, my dog was out wandering around, and when he came back, he had something in his mouth, I didn't know what it was.. Then I got closer, it was an infant bunny!!!!
It was dead by the time he got it to the house... And I tried to catch him in time before he ate it... He swallowed it whole!!! :yikes: I don't know how I can keep Mika's babies safe, I care about the bunny, and then again, I don't.. I care about it, because my dog swallowed it, and it was a wild baby bunny.
And if he will do that to a baby bunny, he will do it to a baby kitten!! Maybe I will ask my grandma to take Mika until she has her babies.. Maybe she would let her have them in her old bath tub, put some old towels in there, and tell her I will clean up after her, and clean her old tub. I don't know what to do! I will hate Hershey if he does this to a kitten.. I seriously will, I will not tolerate it.. I don't know what to do, this is serious.. Thank you for reading!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is i possible that the bunny was dead before he picked it up? Some dogs will pick up (maybe eat) dead animals and if thats the case you prob wouldnt have to worry about the kittens. Or ou could make sure that the dog cant get to the kittens by keeping them seperate. It really depends on your dog. WHen the kittens are born they cant run so there isnt the chase instint. But on the other hand A friend of mine had a dog and a stray cat that they kept in a carrier while they were gone. The dog chewed through the carrier to kill the cat. I guess im not much help here. Whats your dog like normaly with other animals?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's my question. How is the dog around other adult cats? I would keep mom and babies in a separate room if you are not around to be on the safe side.

I agree, he probably did NOT kill the baby bunny. I remember that Mitten caught a baby rabbit one time - was gonna kill it (he killed squirrels) but I managed to get him to drop it before he killed it. However, I found the baby bunny on the other side of the yard the next day - dead. It had no marks on it from the cat. And it did run earlier. So it probably died from a heart attack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He does fine around adult cats, he chases them if they run. He sniffs them, and stays away from the ones that hiss.

msgoody2shoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your dog's behaviour sounds a lot like mine and I know that he would not kill a bunny, but if he found one he would bring it inside. When Mary-Jane had access to outside she would kill mice, chipmunks and shrews and leave their corpses near the door and George would pick them up when he saw them and bring them in the house which of course was a lovely gift to find in my bed at night time. Anyways, I know how you feel because I would never be able to forgive George if he hurt one of Mary-Jane's babies. Is there no way you can keep her and her future kitties in a room that Hershey has no access to?

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just think of all the animals that can harm Mika and the kittens. I hope you read everyone's thoughts and points in the rehoming thread you made. I hope at least Mika can go somewhere safe to deliver her kittens, and not outside somewhere.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spirita2010

Well, yesterday, my dog was out wandering around, and when he came back, he had something in his mouth, I didn't know what it was.. Then I got closer, it was an infant bunny!!!!
We had something similar happen last summer. Our dog brought home a baby bunny, only a few days old. It's eyes weren't open yet and it's ears were still folded closed.
At first I thought that he had hurt it because it had several puncture wounds but after finding a maggot in one of the punctures I realized it had been injured at least a day or two before. He was bringing it to me to help it. I tried to bottle feed it but because of it's injuries and it's age it only lived a few hours
It was so sad.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor bunny.

I don't really know what to tell you. Why don't you keep the cat locked up in a room until the babies are ready to go to their new homes?

Off topic question, do you play an online dog sim called Furry-Paws?

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm the devil's advocate here, but I'd venture to guess he killed the baby bunny, although most likely not intentionally. My chow/rottie/lab mix is a big rabbit hunter herself...she gets at least one (and yes, kills it) once a year. She did destroy an entire litter of bunnies once, and got the mother as well. She's just doing instinctually what a lot of dogs do...she hunts and traps! It wouldn't have taken a lot for your dog to actually kill the baby bunny...in fact they are super-duper fragile.

But yes, this indicates that the baby kittens will absolutely NOT be safe outside anywhere near your dog. Not only is this unfair to Mika and the litter, it's equally as unfair to the dog to not have access to his normal territory.

Your grandma's old bathtub sounds like an EXCELLENT alternative for Mika at this time. Just as long as the tub is lined with something warm and comfy for her and the kittens, it sounds ideal, really. Ring her up, and ask her!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spirita2010

I will hate Hershey if he does this to a kitten.. I seriously will, I will not tolerate it..
And please, please don't hate Hershey for anything like this. It's just basic dog instincts. And define "wandering." Was he in a fenced yard or on a leash?

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

And please, please don't hate Hershey for anything like this. It's just basic dog instincts. And define "wandering." Was he in a fenced yard or on a leash?
Good point. I sure hope that "wandering" means that he was wandering about in a fenced-in or enclosed area...and NOT freely on his own.

You absolutely couldn't blame or hate Hershey if he did hurt the kittens...it is not his fault whatsoever, nor would there be any malice or evil behind that behavior at all. He's a dog, and does things that come naturally to some dogs...murder or spite are two behaviors he is incapable of having.

Pardon me for being blunt, and I don't intend for this to be as rude as it may sound, but if the kittens are allowed to be born outside, they are at risk for many dangers...your dog being one of them. If Hershey were to harm them, or worse, kill them, it is not Hershey's fault...it will be your own. THAT IS NOT MEANT TO BE AN INSULT. I believe it is merely the truth. Because Mika is unable to be her own advocate in this situation, and the only person in her life who is WILLING to think about her best interests is YOU, and your parents are NOT cooperating in either having her spayed, or allowing her to deliver the kittens safely inside, I would definitely inquire QUICKLY with your grandmother about her bathtub, or surrender Mika ASAP to a shelter, where she can deliver the kittens safely, and then later be spayed.

I am sincerely starting to fear for Mika and her kittens. It sounds like she's getting close to delivering, and I will be completely mortified and unsurprised (all at the same time), if something goes dreadfully wrong, or this situation turns tragic in some way. It's really worrying me...and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

theturboexpress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had good friends of mine who's cat had kittens under the porch - they found the litter because they found their absolutely sweet, well trained, gets along with other cats, dog devouring the newborn litter. They caught him before he could get to the last one, which survived, but the rest where killed and eaten by the dog. Even the sweetest dog will sometimes act out of instinct and do what comes naturally.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do! I will hate Hershey if he does this to a kitten.. I seriously will, I will not tolerate it.. I don't know what to do, this is serious
Hershey is a dog, he did was his instincts told him. If he hurts the kittens, its no ones fault but your own. Please find a new home for this cat, she deserves so much better than having to deliver her kittens outside and worrying about dogs getting them, or any other danger she is going to encounter outside.

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know.. He is just being a dog, but I have noticed myself getting very unattached to Hershey lately, since my parents won't let him in anymore.. And I feel like I have done all this work for nothing with him..
And that I am a failure at everything now.. I can't do anything right, but I should get rid of Mika, and her friend.. But I need to get over myself and do it, but I just can't... I don't know why..

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's hard, Spirit. Sometimes you just have to do the best for your animals even though it will hurt you. Just try to think of what Mika needs. She has no voice and depends on you for everything.

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take a deep breath lovey and try not to feel like everyone is having a go at you. Everyone is just trying to let you know whats may be best. You are trying to do whats best for your cat and its a very emotional thing to have to come to terms with.

Im sure you will do the right thing

Emma x x x x

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hershey's not allowed in anymore??????
That makes me soooo mad!

*deep breath in* *and out* (I'm not mad at you Spirit, it's your parents)

ok, your parents are upsetting me. When you ask to bring Mika in What EXACTLY do they say?

I want you to go to your mom and say, in these exact words "mom can Mika live inside?, at least until her babies get new homes" then if she says no say "why not?" (not in an agitated way, just a curious way). Then tell us what she says word for word (or as much as you can remember).

Hunter and Lucky live inside why should Mika (and Hershey for that matter) be any different? You still have a little time so don't waste it. Say you'll give up your allowance (if you have one). Say if she has them outside they will die (even though they might not, just say that since it is very possible) and you love her too much to let that happen. Ask what's the harm in here living inside? Bring it up during dinner so they are all there. Ofer to lock her in your room the whole time (which you should anyways once the babies come)

Make sure during your conversation with your mom that you don't yell or back talk, just say your part then listen to what she has to say, then respond, try to keep the conversation calm even if she is getting upset. Keep the conversation going until you get your way. Once she says anything in your favor, whether she says "fine"(which would be awesome), "I'll think about it" (in a way that suggest she is actually considering it) or anything that means you are one step closer to getting Mika in, Say "Thank you SO much" and give her a big hug and say "I'll do what ever you want if she can come in" "Thank you!". Make sure she knows you really appreciate it.

Please have a real and civil conversation with your Mom and get Mika inside.

(We'll work on Hershey latter, first Mika since she needs to be inside for those babies, Hershey is at least safe outside once Mika Kits come and go to a new home then we need to work on getting Hershey in again)

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is one reason she won't let Mika in, which is a stupid reason I think. She'll get fleas in the house..
Its treatable. Hunter, and Lucky can get rid of them easy. sheesh, and Mika doesn't have fleas! I will try to get her in again. I will tell her that I will keep her in my room, and keep her locked in there, or I will keep her in our old bathroom, that nobody uses. Although it is a very small space, but it will work. I will try to keep very civil, but it is frustrating me soo much.. I will try talking to her once more, but she says all I talk about is animals? Whats so great about talking about other things? And she doesn't like talking about them.. She likes talking about my brother's dumb game though.. Which I don't get. I will try talking to her again, and telling you guys.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Mika Does NOT have fleas and your mom says she'll bring them in? Well that makes no sense. I know what you mean my Dad sees me on this forum and chazhound and he's like why don't you go to other places and do stuff that has nothing to do with dogs and cats? I say because I like cats and dogs and nothing else interests me on the computer so why can't I go there? They just don't get it
I'll send good thoughts that Mika gets to go in and has a safe delivery INSIDE!

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it must be frustrating but its most importand to stay calm and try and give very calm and mature reasoning behind what you have to say. that way she will see you have looked into this and you are serious about what your doing.

And try not to shout. I know if my kids shout back at me then i turn off until they will talk to me in a reasonable manor.

Remember you have lots of support here to help you make the right choice in the end.