Smudge is so uncoordinated

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The silly girl is always falling off things. She has the grace of an elephant... Tonight she tried to leap from our coffee table to the couch. Only the coffee table is quite slippery (she's always sliding across it, it's not as though she doesn't know). So as she started her jump, her back legs slid out and she kind of splatted into the side of the couch. Her front legs managed to latch onto the couch, and her back legs were left scrabbling on the side of the couch.

She managed to scrabble and pull herself up it and turn and look at the coffee table in wonderment as to how she managed to misjudge.

DH and I were killing ourselves laughing.

The other night a friend was over, and she was scratching on the back of the couch, and he said "no" to her, and she jumped and fell off the back of the couch.

Oh and earlier tonight she was trying to get off the scratching post, and she's too scared to jump down from the top. But Lily was on the middle shelf of it, and she was having issues jumping onto the middle part but she smelt the roast chicken I had in my hand, and was desperate, so she tried to jump to the next level, only half made it, and had her back legs miss, and flailing wildly, she pulled herself back while falling on Lily who ignored her, then she managed to get down to me. Poor baby
I gave her some chicken for her efforts...

What's funny is that either of the other 2 do something uncoordinated, they look embarrassed about it in only the way kitties can. Smudge doesn't care. She's so used to it, she just gets on with her life.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehehehe I love things like that! My Tosca tried to jump straight onto the diningroom table from too far away and finishes up hanging by her front two paws, back paws wind-milling in desperation! The table-top is ruined, but we love her all the same!
I caught her trying to drink the water out from under my bouquet of roses, and she knocked the whole lot all over herself. And no, she doesn't even bother to look embarrassed! She gives us the "What, me?!" look and stalks off to have a bath somewhere else like it was something she'd intended all along.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't you mention that Smudge is kind of small for her age? I'm not sure if it's just the way the picture in your siggy was taken but her eyes look different, like they're smaller than other cats eyes.

Maybe she's a bit bad at judging distances or getting the right balance when jumping?

My boys have problems putting the brakes on in time when running
it's not uncommon for one of them to run into something.
I feel for the clumsy kitties though. I slipped in puddle in the shop building earlier (Friday the 13th bad luck, maybe?) and got a concussion from it.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww! Poor clumbsy girl.
I laugh at them when they do stuff like that too but then I feel bad for laughing.
Mine get the embarassed looks too.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One time when Snowball and I were in the bathroom, he tried to jump from the closed toilet seat to the vanity. There's a wastebasket sitting in the middle of these, and that's where Snowball landed. LOL!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Didn't you mention that Smudge is kind of small for her age? I'm not sure if it's just the way the picture in your siggy was taken but her eyes look different, like they're smaller than other cats eyes.

Maybe she's a bit bad at judging distances or getting the right balance when jumping?

My boys have problems putting the brakes on in time when running
it's not uncommon for one of them to run into something.
I feel for the clumsy kitties though. I slipped in puddle in the shop building earlier (Friday the 13th bad luck, maybe?) and got a concussion from it.
Her eyes are definitely not right. She has a genetic defect - her eyeballs are too small, she's missing her upper eyelids, she has these strands in her eye (corneal strands maybe??) which I think may cause vision issues, and her irises don't dilate properly - they're slow to react, so she just squints.

I have no doubt it's because of her eyes, but she's had the problem since birth, and she doesn't seem to have any other issues except for being uncoordinated. She will definitely never be an outside cat!!!!!

Sorry you fell yesterday!! How are you feeling today?

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

One time when Snowball and I were in the bathroom, he tried to jump from the closed toilet seat to the vanity. There's a wastebasket sitting in the middle of these, and that's where Snowball landed. LOL!!!
Casey landed in a wastebasket too! He was trying to jump from the top of my desk in my room to my bed, missed, and landed in the basket!
I still don't think he's forgiving me for laughing at him.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I have no doubt it's because of her eyes, but she's had the problem since birth, and she doesn't seem to have any other issues except for being uncoordinated. She will definitely never be an outside cat!!!!!

Sorry you fell yesterday!! How are you feeling today?
Aww, the poor sweetie. She's still adorable.
Will you have to get her eyes checked regularly to make sure her vision isn't getting worse?

My head is sore
I managed to smack it pretty good on the concrete, luckily I'm hard headed.

I always worry when the cats hit their heads really hard, and tend to watch them after. Check their eyes and how they respond. You know it has to hurt if the kitty acts like they may have a headache.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tucker fell off of the computer monitor last night..He was sleeping and just rolled off the backside of the monitor. He ended up catching himself on the griding and pulled the whole thing over. Luckily I was on TCS at the time and was able to catch the cat and the computer before they hit the floor

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

Tucker fell off of the computer monitor last night..He was sleeping and just rolled off the backside of the monitor. He ended up catching himself on the griding and pulled the whole thing over. Luckily I was on TCS at the time and was able to catch the cat and the computer before they hit the floor
I had to stop allowing Sho to sleep on the monitor, he got too big.
He would slide off the side and get stuff between the monitor and computer tower... and not be able to get himself out. Luckily he was always good about holding still and letting DH or I get him out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Bless poor Smudge! Can she close her eyes fully?
Oh yes, she can definitely close them fine, but the pic in my sig is the absolute widest she can open them

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Aww, the poor sweetie. She's still adorable.
Will you have to get her eyes checked regularly to make sure her vision isn't getting worse?
She had a check up recently and the vet was happy with how it all looked. There's nothing more they can do, but she didn't think she'd get any worse. We'll get yearly vet checkups and I'm sure she'll get checked then