She won't use the kitty litter

tammystu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 cats 2 female and 1 male.The male is 3 and the females are 5 and 9 years old.

We never used to let the cats sleep in out room at night, but lately the male and 9 year old female have been aggressive to her at night. So we have been letting her sleep in our room.

But for the last 2 weeks she has been going to the bathroom in our bedroom and the master bathroom. The thing is she is doing this at during the day. (or at least I think it is her) I never see her near the kitty litter box, and I have seen the other 2 cats use the box often so I know they are using it.

Could she be stressed from the other two cats.

I thought maybe she was marking her teritory but she is not just urinating.

She also hides from the other cats all the time if she sees one of them coming she will hide under the bed or couch.

The other female is her mother and we had the male cat since he was 6 weeks old.

Also when I used to see her use the kitty litter she would go to the washroom and then run she never buried anything.We clean the box atleast 2 times a day and there is always fresh kitty litter.
Please help!!!!!!!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tammystu

I have a 3 cats 2 female and 1 male.The male is 3 and the females are 5 and 9 years old.

We never used to let the cats sleep in out room at night, but lately the male and 9 year old female have been aggressive to her at night. So we have been letting her sleep in our room.

But for the last 2 weeks she has been going to the bathroom in our bedroom and the master bathroom. The thing is she is doing this at during the day. (or at least I think it is her) I never see her near the kitty litter box, and I have seen the other 2 cats use the box often so I know they are using it.

Could she be stressed from the other two cats.

I thought maybe she was marking her teritory but she is not just urinating.

She also hides from the other cats all the time if she sees one of them coming she will hide under the bed or couch.

The other female is her mother and we had the male cat since he was 6 weeks old.

Also when I used to see her use the kitty litter she would go to the washroom and then run she never buried anything.We clean the box atleast 2 times a day and there is always fresh kitty litter.
Please help!!!!!!!!
I can tell you what worked for me: Simple Solutions Potty Training Aid available at PetCo. I brought Persi home at age 7 weeks (way to early) but he started using the litter box immediately and I swear he has never once missed the litter box in a year. I wish there was some way I could give you the almost full bottle that I have!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like your girl that is going out of the box may be ill.

Cats will often try to disassociate and even run an ill cat out of a colony. Combine that with her suddenly not using the little box and a trip to the vet is in order.

Also... if you only have one box, you may want to add at least one more. The rule of thumb is one for each cat plus one more. Some cats don't like to pee and poo in the same box, That may not be your problem, but putting down another box where she would feel a little safer may help.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

BTW... Welcome to TCS!

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm always of the opinion that it's better to rule out a medical cause, before assuming it's behavioral---although what you're describing sounds like it might be from her being bullied. I'd definitely add another box and see if you can confine to her to her own room with her own box for a while until she's comfortable that the box is "hers" and is using it consistently. Maybe a week or two.........then you'll have to gradually re-introduce her to the other 2 kitties, while leaving her a safe place to escape where she knows she has a litter box. Good Luck!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it sounds like your other 2 cats may be intimidating her when she uses the tray or preventing her from using it. A vet visit is a good idea to rule out a medical cause but if you only have the one litter box I'd provide at least one more. If she's using the bathroom try putting a tray in there for her.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think is sounds like this is a result of her being bullied.

I would suggest putting another litterbox in the area where she can feel safe.

Are all 3 of your cats neutered and spayed? That is essential for good relations between them. Intact cats are much more territorial and prone to fighting and general behavioral problems.

Failing to bury the waste in the box is a form of territorial "marking".