Does Your Cat Purr?

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The stray I have (it's been a year now) does not purr! My son said she purrs for him. I am thinking that my older cat (who was extremely jealous at first) told the stray not to purr in my presence.

And she never meowed. She is starting to meow only when I tease her with her food. I think my older cat also told her not to meow.

I really think my older cat makes the dog stay upstairs, the stray downstairs and the older cat stays on the middle floor. The each basically have their own floor where they sleep. My older cat went crazy when we got the dog a couple of years ago. She always hissed at the dog and the stray.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, Whisky purrs up a storm! Oliver, however, I never heard him purr. That was a wish of mine that never got fulfilled...

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my cats purr but a different levels. Sassy purrs very quietly and you can only hear him when he is close by. Linus has one of the noisest purrs I have ever heard, and he purrs about everything. When he is playing, looking for Sassy or myself. It's funny because you can hear him coming to see you long before he ever gets to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you know why some cats don't purr? I think my older cat has a LOT to do with it, btw, SHE purrs.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nope not so much. I think the last time I heard gizmo really purr was when he was 4 or 5 months old. He turned one last month and purring is pretty much non existent now.

Shauna

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reeses purrs, and pretty loudly sometimes. I wear earplugs at night so she doesn't disturb me with whatever she gets into, but I can still hear her purring sometimes when I get up. She meows alot too. She's a regular chatterbox

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

Do you know why some cats don't purr? I think my older cat has a LOT to do with it, btw, SHE purrs.
It just depends on the individual kitty.There is no need to worry if you have a kitty that does not purr. Each purr, meow,hiss is a form of vocalization and communication and means a different thing. Just as some people are soft spoken and some our more loud spoken- the same can be said for kitties. Some will purr away the day and some will not purr much at all. Each is a unique individual and some may just not vocalize as much as another one would.
The ONLY thing i would worry about is if this has just recently started because it may be a sign of fear/health condition she might just not feel good...if that were the case i'd have a vet check her/him out to rule out any problems./ if she has always done this though, no need to worry! That's just her being unique
Kitties that don't purr much can be just as common as those who do

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all purr, some more than others but they all do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

The ONLY thing i would worry about is if this has just recently started because it may be a sign of fear/health condition she might just not feel good...if that were the case i'd have a vet check her/him out to rule out any problems./ if she has always done this though, no need to worry! That's just her being unique
Kitties that don't purr much can be just as common as those who do
Thank you StarryEyedTiGeR, I think it is fear! That's it! She is afraid of the BIG BOSS, my older cat.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of my girls are big purrers. My neighbours kitty never purrs though. Apparently she purred the day they brought her home for the shelter they got her from and hasn't purred since

She loves petting, but on her terms, and is a sweetheart, but not a lap cat.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never met a kittie that didn't purr. One that didn't meow, but never one that didn't purr. All my kitties purr like crazy.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine purrs all the time! Even during bathtime. She is super sweet and friendly. She is also vocal.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both my kitties purr. One meows more than the other. Usually any time I talk to him, he will meow. My other girl kitty will only meow if I bribe her with food. and it is the CUTEST tiny meow when she does it!!

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boys purr like little engines. Like LOUD little engines. I can hear them across the room when someone gets going. Often I can hear them start to purr when they approach me, undoubtably imagining the snuggles to come. Pekoe likes to wrap himself around my head in the morning and purrs soooo loudly into my ear that I can hear nothing else. When Nigel joins us, I get a full cat-purr symphony in surround sound.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Quill has a very soft purr that can only be heard when he's being picked up and snuggled. Or when you get close to him. Or when he's on my bed and trying to wake me up. But other than that he has a very quiet purr.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of our cats purr, including the bobcats and our big cougar boy Carmelo, who purrs so loud, you can hear him while standing a few feet away

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Snowball purrs like a steam train - You can often hear her across the other side of the room. Poppet is much quieter, but then again she's more into drooling on you.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cat's purr, but Emily is my most silent purr. When Dexter purrs, you can hear it from across the room it is so loud..