Turtles!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, since it's not polite to hijack a thread (and keep doing it) how about a thread for turtle (and tortoise) questions?

If anyone else has questions, suggestions, or turtle stories to share, feel free to join in.
If I don't know the answers I'll direct people to some great links for care.
And how about people post some pictures of their turtles?

Originally Posted by Shorty14788

So they have grown up with one another. They sit on each other all the time. She is already twice his size and neither have ever been aggressive with one another.
Well you see, there's a funny thing about reptiles. Sitting on or 'cuddling' behavior can be a type of show of dominance. Turtles are a bit more social though, the most noticeable sign will be if they start nipping at each other.

I just looked it up! I had never thought about the fact that she would lay eggs! I hate to hijack this thread but now I'm concerned. I thought about very thing else but that! Do you know what size she would start laying eggs at? I just measured her and she is 5.5 inches! (Well I guess its time to get her a bigger tank....) I also felt her to see if she had any eggs right now which she doesn't... But I want to start preparing the tank incase she does soon.... She's only about 1 and 1/2 years old? Is she still too young? Ohhh gezz.....
I'm not 100% sure with cooters, but sexual maturity with sliders it's around 2 years of age, depending on size as well.
If she ever develops eggs her behavior will change when she wants to lay them. She'll try to look for a place, eating habits may change, etc. As long as you're a vigilante owner I'm sure you could catch her in time.

Not to scare you, but a while back someone made a post in the lounge about one of the E-Vets shows about a turtle that died. She was badly egg bound and couldn't be saved by surgery.

I really think you should look up alternatives to aquariums, your girl is going to get huge.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm running out of room in the reptile room/office. I'm kinda afriad to move them outside for fear that the birds might eat them... I suppose I could build them a screened in area with a nice large pond....

The price for glass tanks are just WAY out of my price range for the size I'll be needing... somewhere in the range of 200 gallons... I just want to by the size they'll need for when they're full grown. It seems pointless to keep buying tanks they'll out grow in no time. Any suggestions?

Also, whats a good substrate for me to have availible for her for when the time does come for her to lay eggs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just want to by the size they'll need for when they're full grown. It seems pointless to keep buying tanks they'll out grow in no time. Any suggestions?

Also, whats a good substrate for me to have availible for her for when the time does come for her to lay eggs?
Well, you can build them a cage inside. That way you could have an area with a plants (probably still in the pot) buried down in some soil, or even hanging pots above it. That solves the problem of if the female ever needs to lay. Just regular soil will work, as lot as there are no fertilizers or perlite (little white thingies in potting soil) in it. Sterile top soil + peat moss makes wonderful substrate
it's also good if you want to make your own potting soil for plants. You can add some sand to the mix for drainage.

Lots of people have outdoor pens. One thing you need to remember, turtles are escape artists
they can dig so you'll need to make sure you have a perimeter buried or on a surface they can't dig through, and turtles can climb. So a foot or two of something they can't get a grip in, like plywood, will help keep them on. The rest of a pen can be mesh/wire with a lid to keep animals out. What you want to use as a pond is up to you. Kiddy pools, premade pond forms, natural ponds. Fun garden/landscaping opportunity but you'll still have to have a good pump for the pond.

For an indoor cage/pen anything that keeps them from climbing out and provides deep enough water will work. Stock tanks, metal or the plastic ones would be cheaper than glass. Then put a nice wood frame around it, painted or stained to look good in a room. You could then have a top section that can be the 'land' area, you could even cut part of it out so it could hold a rubbermaid or sterilite container of dirt. In otherwords, a modified turtle table for aquatics.

Here's a bit of info on turtle tables http://www.unc.edu/~dtkirkpa/stuff/table.html you'd just modify it to have a large water area. (originally I found that article in japanese and thought there's no way I'm going to attempt translating all of that
)

If you wanted to get really flashy with something like that, instead of just water sealing the wood on top you could put textured ceramic tiles on it. Water proof, pretty, easy to clean, and it would help keep their claws worn down.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a teenager, I had 7 eastern box turtles (one of them was a Florida box turtle - female). So I can help out with questions regarding them.

My turtles were kept outside in natural surroundings and brought in for the winter to hibernate.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

As a teenager, I had 7 eastern box turtles (one of them was a Florida box turtle - female). So I can help out with questions regarding them.

My turtles were kept outside in natural surroundings and brought in for the winter to hibernate.
I like land turtles
... I had a box also ...
Now they are so worried about salmonella they wont allow them accross state lines ... I am looking at a desert tort ...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All animals and other humans are able to spread disease... why the government needed a ridiculous law is beyond me, obviously no one logically thought it out.

The FDA was recently whining about turtles and salmonella again http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01604.html

Originally Posted by sharky

Now they are so worried about salmonella they wont allow them accross state lines ... I am looking at a desert tort ...
As for getting turtles across state lines, in some areas certain species are protected by the state or at the very least some restrictions from fish and game department. To send or cross state lines you need proof of purchase. Of course someone who's had their pet turtle 10 + years isn't going to have a receipt laying around. However if you go through a proper breeder, have proof of purchase, apply for permits (if the state requires it) you're in the clear. I don't know about most states but in some desert tortoises are illegal to even own, being that they're a protected species.
If you're serious about owning a tort or box turtle another option is a rescue
and with your understanding of nutrition you would make a very good owner!

With so many people even on this forum owning turtles, I wonder why no one else has any questions or even stories/pictures to share?

I'm certain it's not the case here since surely everyone has respect for all animals, but I've even seen it on reptile forums, some people consider those free/cheap little turtles secondary pets and don't always provide the best care, and worse don't want to admit to or correct it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

All animals and other humans are able to spread disease... why the government needed a ridiculous law is beyond me, obviously no one logically thought it out.

The FDA was recently whining about turtles and salmonella again http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01604.html

As for getting turtles across state lines, in some areas certain species are protected by the state or at the very least some restrictions from fish and game department. To send or cross state lines you need proof of purchase. Of course someone who's had their pet turtle 10 + years isn't going to have a receipt laying around. However if you go through a proper breeder, have proof of purchase, apply for permits (if the state requires it) you're in the clear. I don't know about most states but in some desert tortoises are illegal to even own, being that they're a protected species.
If you're serious about owning a tort or box turtle another option is a rescue
and with your understanding of nutrition you would make a very good owner!

With so many people even on this forum owning turtles, I wonder why no one else has any questions or even stories/pictures to share?

I'm certain it's not the case here since surely everyone has respect for all animals, but I've even seen it on reptile forums, some people consider those free/cheap little turtles secondary pets and don't always provide the best care, and worse don't want to admit to or correct it.
I have had contact with the local rescue and she approved me but she get alot of abused ones she never rehomes... I need to research breeders as the LPS is breeding a bunch of desert tortises but I dont trust them... Silly me didnt think of breeders

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Silly me didnt think of breeders
Most people don't realize how dedicated others are to various species!
Just make sure you find a good breeder, some will push higher protein diets to make their babies grow faster, because technically it is illegal to sell anything under 4 inches. Even if the shells don't become deformed it's not really well know if that impacts future health and lifespan.

Breeders are sometimes overlooked because they do not advertise openly like a pet store would. Just to be clear though, it's perfectly legal to own them when they're under 4 inches. For torts Russian torts are a good starter, they don't get as large and are hardy with proper care.

And they can and preferably do need to hibernate, just in case you do live in an area that has winter.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like hybernation

I am looking at desert and red foot ....

Dumb question any links to maybe finding a breeder??

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I haven't put much thought into buying any turtles or tortoises...I'm sort of on the other end of things with my accidental clutch. I have seen some who sell them but they look to be more of a middle man, dealer types.
I would imagine the best place to find breeders and various opinions about them would be a tortoise community

There's site (here's the tortoise section) http://forums.kingsnake.com/forum.php?catid=35 there is also a classified section on that site.

and http://www.turtletimes.com/Forums/index.php?act=idx
again it has a market place/classifieds http://www.turtletimes.com/Forums/in...p?showforum=78

If you want to risk it you can go through a pet shop, but just like with cats or dogs you risk them coming from a bad source (wild caught) or not being kept properly and therefore sick. Of course occasionally, there's a pet shop that's run by people that do care, you'll know when you find one
the animals, even if a little cramped will look healthy no matter what species they are. At the very least they may be able to order a baby or young tort for you.

Oh! and I might add, make sure you have a good herp vet. You'll need to have your little one in for much the same as any animal needs, general check up and parasite check.

couple of links for finding reptile vets
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
http://www.arav.org/Directory.htm

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you .... I am not buying from anyone who "throws" in a free turtle with purchase...

WOW some of those sites have lots of kinds ... I need to research ...

awsome pawsomes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a short necked murrie river Turtle. He is a native aussie turtle. I have had Barney for 9 years. I Keep him in a 4x2 foot tank on a pine stand with a specially built shelf covered in astro turf (fake grass).

My first turtle was Fred . Same breed as Barns.
I found Fred in my backyard. No Waterways nearby whatsoever. I dont know where he came from. I had fred for a while and decided he needed a larger tank. So i went looking in petshops for a tank, when a woman came over to me and told me she know someone who was selling a 5 ft tank cheap. I gave her a call . When I went to pick it up she told me her son has a turtle but lost interest which is why she was selling the tank. For and extra $10 i could have the turtle aswell or they were just going to dump him in the nearest creek. Poor turtle, he was bred in captivity . He wouldnt have been able to survive on his own. Barns is not the sharpest.
So i Bought Barney.
Fred and barns got on great. Till one morning i got up to feed them and fred was floating and barns was trying to eat him. EWWWW.
I have had barns for years now. He started out about the size of a teacup(circumfrence). He is now as big as a dinner plate. Rather large.

I will have to take some pics of him. I do have pics some where but just can't find them.

To buy a turtle from a petshop in australia you have to have a wildlife permit.
But you don't have to have a permit to own one. You can own 2, common to your area, turtles . People can go to their nearest creek or river and catch one and take it home. no probs. Though it has to be no more than 2 and it has to be a common turtle to the area you are in.

I know this is of no help to you being in another country but I just thought I'd share Fred and Barneys stories.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So much easier when I had the turtles. The Florida one was given to us by a friend who found her on their trip down south.

The others were found on the road locally and I picked them up (or mom/dad stopped and I got them). I had one from the Virginia mountains that was totally different looking then the other box turtles (shell and color) - we called him a "mountain box turtle" even tho there's no such thing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Awsome Pawsomes

To buy a turtle from a petshop in australia you have to have a wildlife permit.
But you don't have to have a permit to own one. You can own 2, common to your area, turtles . People can go to their nearest creek or river and catch one and take it home. no probs. Though it has to be no more than 2 and it has to be a common turtle to the area you are in.
I knew Australia has different laws concerning reptiles. If I'm not mistaken, I do believe imported reptiles are not allowed?
And I knew there were limits on what and how many you could have. I didn't know it was allowed to wild catch your own there. I think I read somewhere that a species of turtle was recently found that they thought was extinct, being able to catch your own could be bad in such a situation.
I'd love to see some pics of your turtle!
I think they're one of the types of turtles that tuck their head over instead of pulling it in?

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I had one from the Virginia mountains that was totally different looking then the other box turtles (shell and color) - we called him a "mountain box turtle" even tho there's no such thing.
Hm, Virginia, would probably be an eastern box turtle. They can be very colorful turtles.

Florida box turtles aren't as commonly kept by keepers, or at least not those outside of Florida.

Thanks for sharing your stories!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really sure if he was an eastern box turtle - all 7 were supposed to be - and while they are colorful - the shell is the same. This mountain one had a longer more oval shaped, with flared edges and he was really orange in color. The other males were more of the brown shades with normal domed shells.

The Florida box turtle was black with yellow stripes in her shell.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DUMB >?????

I went to the pet store that breed some tortises and too my shock they were selling Sulcata hatchlings that would fit in my palm( my hands are about the size of a ten yr olds ) .... These are too small too be sold???? They hand no russians but the clutch was hatched and they said avail in May... I am looking into breeders but this is what I could see

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I went to the pet store that breed some tortises and too my shock they were selling Sulcata hatchlings that would fit in my palm( my hands are about the size of a ten yr olds ) .... These are too small too be sold????
Technically, yes, it's illegal. Sulcatas get HUGE, so looks are very deceiving when they're so tiny as babies. Owners do call them "puppies with shells" because of their personalities.

Egg laying is seasonal, so, like you found out there might not be many clutches available for a few months. Unless you go with one that's a little older. This should give you plenty of time to study and maybe start a little garden for it.

Since you're considering a baby and would be responsible for it's proper growth you may want to take a look at this page http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/webdiet.htm If you don't feel like reading it all, scroll through and look at some of the pictures and descriptions under them. Very sad.

Good luck, and make sure this is what you want, this is a lifetime pet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a garden ready... we use an organic service that only will apply "safe " weed kill if you ask... I have about 300 dadelions now and lots of red clover...

I need to find a russian ... looks like a good starter ... The Sulcatas would fit on my 1/4 acres and I imagine would be problematic to rehome if something happened to me ... Pet fest is coming up in June here and I think I need to talk to reptile rescue again and see if she has some "older" ones
... something that fits in my hand scares me
... two vets in town will care for them unfortunately NOT mine

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have about 300 dadelions now and lots of red clover...
Lucky you, dandelions and clover are good food and free.

I need to find a russian ... looks like a good starter ...
Pet fest is coming up in June here and I think I need to talk to reptile rescue again and see if she has some "older" ones
Adopting is always best
just make sure you get a healthy animal, sometimes rescue groups mean well but make mistakes.

two vets in town will care for them unfortunately NOT mine
You've mentioned your vet before in many of your posts concerning nutrition, sounds like a very good vet. Maybe they know the other two vets or an even better herp vet that he/she would honestly recommend?

And because I'm trying to get other people to join in and post a pic or two *hint hint*.

Biggest baby has grown and is now over 3 inches. (Tape measure to get exact measure is mysteriously missing... suspect sticky paws Tomas was on desk again.)

wee little turtle tail and aren't those little chubby legs and feet the cutest?

slightly smaller turt. It's eyes are gold and it's face looks like it's mother's did, suspect it's a little girl.

it has two strips on it's tail.. but when I tried to turn it for a picture... the turtle tried to bite.