Fancy Feast Wet Food question! Answer ASAP!!!!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a sample of fancy feast wet food with my kitty litter. I would never feed my cats this brand but my boss does! I didn't see it on the recall list but it has wheat glueten in the ingredients! I don't want to be responsible for any health issues this could potentially cause her cats! Should I just toss at and explain to her why?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right! I wouldn't want her cats to die, that would be a bad situation for me or her! Is it on the recall list tho? The site says it is not involved although it also doesnt deny being a menu food product or produced in the contaminated plants!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I know! I don't feed my cat's fancy feast... They eat Wellness dry and Felidae wet at the moment! She feeds her cats the fancy feast wet! I told her I had some but warned her that it should probably be tossed for safety precaution! It came with some dry treats so maybe she can get something out of this (the dry treats that is)!

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey trixie23....I too was really worried about Fancy Feast. My 5 guys get it exclusively! I've got maybe 200 cans of it - "stock up" only when on sale - and most varieties have the wheat gluten for the "gravy".

The Purina site is very explicit in stating that NONE of the Fancy Feast is made by Menu Foods - all FF is made by Purina itself.

Purina also has a list of FAQs http://www.purina.com/Company/Press/...spx#purinafaqs which might ease your mind.

There are a small number of varieties which DON'T have the gluten...I've taken to increasing the frequency of using these vs the gravied ones for now.

I'm not supporting Purina here, just sharing my experience.

Hope this helps!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Hey trixie23....I too was really worried about Fancy Feast. My 5 guys get it exclusively! I've got maybe 200 cans of it - "stock up" only when on sale - and most varieties have the wheat gluten for the "gravy".

The Purina site is very explicit in stating that NONE of the Fancy Feast is made by Menu Foods - all FF is made by Purina itself.

Purina also has a list of FAQs http://www.purina.com/Company/Press/...spx#purinafaqs which might ease your mind.

There are a small number of varieties which DON'T have the gluten...I've taken to increasing the frequency of using these vs the gravied ones for now.

I'm not supporting Purina here, just sharing my experience.

Hope this helps!
Shenandoah won't eat much of anything BUT Fancy Feast.
He goes in for a check up every year, xrays and blood work, and he has his poop tested twice a year, and he gets his teeth cleaned once a year as well.

ruthie70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Canada, so I phoned Nestle Purina in Canada and asked them speicifically if they used the same supplier of the suspect wheat gluten. They said they did not. They said they recalled the Alpo wet dog good but I'm afraid I can't remember the reason why as this wasn't of interest to me. They did mention that the FDA were checking other suppliers of wheat gluten.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys were on ProPlan, but as the circle of the recall kept widening, I pulled them off and put them on food with no wheat gluten. Only a couple Purina dog foods were included in the recall, but they do state on their web site that they purchase their wheat gluten from China.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My lot won't eat anything but FF.
They also are not interested in any cuts and gravy variety, or any fish variety, so there are exactly 4 varieties that they will eat, none of which has wheat gluten, for which I am very thankful. Given Purina's assurances that Menu Foods is not involved in the production of this food, I'm inclined to think that we can trust the safety of this product, as much as we can any other at the moment. Whether it's a food that you want to feed is another question entirely -- but a food the cat will eat beats out one it won't, IMO.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tossed it just to be sage since wheat glueten was the second ingredient... Also it isnt my cat that would be eating it so I wouldn't want anything to go wrong and have a weight like that on my shoulders!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

They also are not interested in any cuts and gravy variety, or any fish variety, so there are exactly 4 varieties that they will eat, none of which has wheat gluten, for which I am very thankful. Given Purina's assurances that Menu Foods is not involved in the production of this food, I'm inclined to think that we can trust the safety of this product, as much as we can any other at the moment. Whether it's a food that you want to feed is another question entirely -- but a food the cat will eat beats out one it won't, IMO.
Shenandoah won't eat any of the cuts and gravy, either.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

This is slightly off topic, but... We vacation in the town (Bük) where the European Fancy Feast is produced, and use my in-laws' vacation home. One of the neighbors works at the plant, and when I told him that cats seem to become addicted to it, he told me that they actually used a patented (artificial) "mouse" flavor enhancer. I thought he was kidding, but have since discovered that there is such a thing. Flavor enhancers are apparently a very big business.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting I'd rather go for natural ingredients versus artifical flavors or by products for my kitties! I never have and never will feed my cats fancy feast... My boss does and I was going to give her the sample I received with Tidy Cats litter! Instead I tossed it! My cats get felidae or wellness wet! I plan to try other high end wet's in the future! Very interesting information, thanks for sharing!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

This is slightly off topic, but... We vacation in the town (Bük) where the European Fancy Feast is produced, and use my in-laws' vacation home. One of the neighbors works at the plant, and when I told him that cats seem to become addicted to it, he told me that they actually used a patented (artificial) "mouse" flavor enhancer. I thought he was kidding, but have since discovered that there is such a thing. Flavor enhancers are apparently a very big business.
Artificial mouse flavor enhancer?
That is fascinating information.
Yum Yum

I would love to know more....

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Just checked my 4 cans of FF - I use it for Charlie at the shows. None of them have the wheat gluten in it
That is good Im glad he can stick with his good deed treat
Im not sure what type of fancy feast forumla this was (a greenish can) I'll see if I can find it! It was a sample with some other Purina dry food ingredient I hadn't seen yet either (even though Im sure it has been around awhile)! Ha ok I found it, it was a sample of Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys White Meat Chicken and Whipped Egg Souffle!

http://www.elegantmedleys.com/

Here is the link, I was wrong Wheat Glueten is the third ingredient not the second! Ewww and its followed by meat by products!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The medleys I found a bit deceiveing as the have all the veggies on the front

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah its not an option I will ever give my cats! Im picky and like high end quality food products for them! Just the description of that formula sounded yucky too me!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Yeah its not an option I will ever give my cats! Im picky and like high end quality food products for them! Just the description of that formula sounded yucky too me!
I sounded so good to me... well the front anyway
...lol