What do ya'll think about movie sequels?

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that there are a lot of movie sequels out these past couple of years.

Do you love em because you get to revisit old characters and plots or do you hate em because they're never as good as the first? Or are you some where inbetween?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With rare and few exceptions, I don't like them. They are almost never as good as the first, and sequals to sequals are even worse!

I also dislike remakes - why mess with the original, classic version by "updating" it and making it LESS watchable? I just don't get it.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it really depends on the series. If I enjoyed the original, I'll give the sequal a chance. In the case of Indiana Jones, the second was IMO as good as the first, same thing with Mission Impossible -- and, the James Bond movies are in a class of their own. I also thoroughly enjoyed all the Austin Powers movies (Yeah, Baby). But, there are some terrible sequels out there such as Friday the 13th, Rambo and Nightmare on Elm Street. Now, those were stinkers.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind sequels.. as long as they are good and don't ruin anything.

Like Die Hard... they just got better and better IMO, and now this next one looks AWESOME and I can't wait to see it.

But then you get something not so good, like, Bring it On.. when they get worse.

But I suppose everyone has their own opinions, and while one person will hate that sequel, someone else somewhere will love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind sequals, but like Betsy said, they often don't live up to the first.

I think that trilogies and series don't really count like LOTR or Harry Potters.

But a sequal like Bad Boys 2 was really good and IMO, better than the first is the kind I really like.

I hate when walt disney does sequals. They are never as good as the original.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually sequels aren't as good. I did like the Bridget Jones sequel - not as good as the first but still good. The series are better such as Indiana Jones (love those!) and Die Hard and Bond, etc. Can't think of any sequels I like other than that one. Although, I don't get out to movies much
Usually buy them after they are marked down in previously viewed DVDs.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im in between some are really good , where others are ****
scream now that just got stupid.
but die hard , bad boys ect.. are always good.
even the spider mans have all been good lol.
just want to say i loved everyone of the elm streets , but friday the 13th , halloween ect , just started getting silly.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah.... Disney sequels.. big nono.

although I did enjoy the Lion King sequel.. it just wasn't as good as the first.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah.. so far the Marvel sequels have been good... other than the Elektra one... and the one with Ben Affleck which I cannot remember the title of.. hmm.

I loved the X-men, nd I love the Spiderman, and amd eagerly waiting the next one!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, I liked the lion king two, but not as good.

I know that there is a prequel(sp?) coming out in January for The DaVinci Code, but I forget right now what it's called...

Do you think you'll see it?

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't see the original of The DaVinci Code.. so I doubt it. If I watched either of these, I think my family would disown me.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

Yea, I liked the lion king two, but not as good.

I know that there is a prequel(sp?) coming out in January for The DaVinci Code, but I forget right now what it's called...

Do you think you'll see it?
I LOVED the book, HATED the movie, as much as I love Tom Hanks, the movie made me want to stab myself in the eye.
Way too long and drawn out, the pacing was off and it just didn't keep me interested the way the book did.

Angels and Demons was the name of the book that Brown wrote preceding The DaVinci Code, but I don't know if they are making a movie of it.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mostly love them like Pirates, LOTR etc I also wich they had dome some later Star wars I mean after Luke, Han and Chewbacca. I dind't much care for the new star wars ones but I loved the old characters

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most sequels (such as Disney) are not thought out or written very well. Disney just wants ta make a quick buck, sell some themed potato chips and themed lunch boxes and themed bedsheets... they don't put any storyline or heart into the sequels.

Disney aside, I'm really looking forward to Spidey 3 and Shrek 3. Cuz their "part 2's" didn't suck big time.

Then there is the all-time major-blub no-no in history; Aliens 3 (And 4). Aliens 2 TOTALLY ROCKED and added so much to the Alien story. Aliens 3, I just about puke every time I remember sitting through that! Ugh!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost always dislike - I think it is a cheap, easy way to make another fast buck! Come on guys, get creative and develop new projects - just like remakes of classic movies - STOP IT!!!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I LOVED the book, HATED the movie, as much as I love Tom Hanks, the movie made me want to stab myself in the eye.
Way too long and drawn out, the pacing was off and it just didn't keep me interested the way the book did.

Angels and Demons was the name of the book that Brown wrote preceding The DaVinci Code, but I don't know if they are making a movie of it.
Yuppers. I heard it on Entertainment Tonight that they will be releasing it sometime in January, directed by same guy and that Tom Hanks is going to recieve the most amount of money for a single role than any other man in the history of film making *or something to that account lol*

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

You and I are in the same boat. I was so bored in the movie - Tom Hanks was SO wrong for the movie. I couldn't see him as Robert Langdon!!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh oh oh! Are they really making Angels & Demons? It's a GREAT GREAT STORY! Far and away superior to The DaVinci Code, and I say that as a big fan of the latter (the book's better than the movie, of course, but the movie's pretty darn good, for having such a lot of detail to squeeze in, and such a complex story to tell at the rapid pace of mainstream film).

Seriously, Angels & Demons is three times the book The DaVinci Code is. Read it quick, so you can be ready for when the movie comes out!

Is Tom Hanks back to play his character? Who will play the priest's daughter? Ooooh, I can't wait! I'm like bouncing in my chair here!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
P.S. -- I agree that Tom Hanks, much as I adore him, was not the best choice... I might've gone with John Cusack, I think. (Who would you all have chosen?) But I really admired the way he enhanced the character with his own improvs, bringing some of himself to it. And his character gets to have a lot more fun in Angels & Demons -- I think people will like him a lot better this time!