Q-Tip Quick Tip!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Howdie y'all...just stoppin' in real quick-like to share with those of you who have kits, like my Elora, who love to search bathroom trashcans at all hours of the day...and night...in search of Q-Tips...new or used
...only have them being hacked up all over the floors later on. I've struggled and stuggled to find an answer to this problem from getting my family of Q-Tip users to close the door to the bathroom after using a Q-Tip or just taking them all the way to the trash can in the laundry room...where Elora can't get to! Well, this never worked because ya know when you get up in the middle of the night to go potty, well you just forget to close the bathroom door behind you sometimes! Well, long story short. I figured out an ingenius way to solve this problem. I had a couple of empty baby pop-up wash cloth containers, I put one in each bathroom and instructed my family to deposit their used Q-Tips into them and snap the lid shut! PROBLEM SOLVED Y'ALL!!!! I just take and empty each container into my garbage can in the garage every couple of days. Elora has been freed from her Q-Tip obsession and I no longer have to worry about her swallowing those nasty and harmful things and then hacking them back up again...poor baby!

Here is a photo I just took of both the containers. The brown one goes in our bathroom and the blue, decorated one goes in the kids' bathroom. It works really well and it helps that I put it right next to where the Q-Tips are in each bathroom...just to remind them!

I'll be adding more detail to the kids' container...just did a quick scribble on there to label it...and I'll also decorate ours as well.

Hope this helps someone out there with their kitty-Q-Tip problems! Please feel free to copy my idea...it works like a charm y'all!

Hilda>^..^<

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clever idea, Hilda! One of my kitties *loves* Q-tips also, and I always worried about her finding one and eating it (even though I try very hard to be careful).

Glad your baby was ok even though she did actually eat one.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That's a really good idea!
We had to resort to getting a Q-tip/cotton ball container with lid as well as a step on trash can (you know you step on the bottom and the top opens- those stainless steel ones) because Abilene is such a bad Q-tip theif
She invented a marvelous game of "swat the q-tip down the sink drain" when she was younger. One day we were wondering why it was taking longer and longer for the water to drain from the sink...then i cought her!!! I was taking a bath one day and saw the little heifer take the q-tips out of the little open jar we had at the time...then have a good ole time batting it down the sink and "scoring a goal"
Needless to say we solved the mystery of the slow draining sink
So a phone call to the plumber later, a new trash can and a new q-tip container.....we have "kitty proofed" the q-tips

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

lol are q tips what we call cotton buds??
Yes. Boy you UKers have funny words for things (lawries (sp?) for trucks, ques for lines, etc.).

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
another silly question , what does (sp) stand for ??
also my cats love cotton buds(q tips)
we say chips , you say frys
we could go on and on lol
lol but we call a bum a bum , what is the term you use?? joke!!

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Sp? = spelling (wasn't sure i spelled it right).

I absolutely love the Brit term "not that old chestnut again"

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Haha I'm an Aussie (and we use British terms as well mostly), and it's very funny living in the US. We're constantly confused by what people are asking for, and people regularly have no idea what we're after.

One day we went to the hardware store and wanted a tarp, and was sure it'd be called something different in the US, so we said to the dude who worked there "so, we're after something in particular and we're not sure what you guys call it, it's a plastic woven dropsheet, usually blue in our country, and you can use it to keep the rain off things, or put in on the floor when you're painting, and you know things like that". And the guy looked confused for a minute then said to us "ohhh you mean a tarp!".

Ok, back in topic - what a clever idea for your cotton buds!!!!

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And, my ever favorite...

DH's cousin from London was visiting and he asked me to take him shopping in downtown Toronto for a "jumper." So, off we go to some incredibly trendy shops. He didn't see any "jumpers" right away so he asked the clerk to show him where they were. The female clerk said "honey, this ain't that kinda store. We don't have any tranny clothes here."

FYI, all non-UKers, a jumper is a sweater in North America.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, please accept my apology, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now if only I could find a protective barrier for the toilet paper... Joyeux shreds it to teeny bits. She's awful. So far, though, no q-tip obsession.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Now if only I could find a protective barrier for the toilet paper... Joyeux shreds it to teeny bits. She's awful. So far, though, no q-tip obsession.
Hmmm, does it matter which way the roll is placed? I find that if the paper is in the 'under' position, they can't unroll it as easily! Ah, but Joyeux shreds it! Oh my! How 'bout just closing the bathroom door everytime? Or keeping the t.p. on a high shelf where she can't reach...or 'hanging' elsewhere, where she can't reach it...uh...but YOU can!
Hmmm, maybe you can sorta 'make' a box where the paper feeds out of...like how Kleenex tissues pop out one at a time. Oh hey....this goes along with my Q-Tip suggestion: if you can find a large container of baby pop-up-wipes, large enough to hold a roll of t.p., try putting the paper in there and just pulling out as much as you need...close the cover back when done so Joyeux might get the hint! Good luck!

Glad everyone is enjoying my Q-Tip (bud!) suggestion!

Hilda>^..^<

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"A quick scribble" to label the container for your kids, huh? Sheesh! That's beautiful work! You're an artist!

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea..I have one cat that will wait for the q-tip's new or used, so now I have a small trash can in my closet just so that she can no longer get to them..I have a metal trash can with the step on lid in the kids bath right next to the sink so she can't get into it..

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, as soon as I manage to train all the guests and ourselves to always close the door, we'll be set. Maybe then the little marbled menace won't be able to get to it. She'll steal it out of the pack (too large to fit in the cabinets) and off the counter, off the towel rack.. out of the cabinets of the one bathroom...