Mold & Mildew

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to admit it but mom's bathroom is a mess! The mold & mildew has been growing for about a year now in the shower. She has that wrap around shower wall that covers the tiles. What's the best cleaning solution to use? I am embarassed to say I wouldn't take a shower there.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a mold problem myself and it is hard to keep up with.

Lysol makes a mold & mildew cleaner. I like it better than the Tilex mold cleaner as far as how well it works, but I like the Tilex forumula better (it is foamy and sits where you leave it).

If it is in the tile I would try the Tilex mold cleaner that has the "root killer". They signify that on the bottle. Their advertising says it kills the root too and that is why it doesnt come back.

Cant say if that is right or not; mold in my b.r. is on the walls and likely goes deep into the structure.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, those are good products. Just be sure when you use them that you wear eye protection and rubber gloves, and bring a fan in to help ventilate the room during and after.

My father's bathroom has no window, so his shower stall is prone to mildew, too, and we try to keep a fan blowing into the room for an hour or so after he showers to help things dry out before mold and mildew take hold.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've also tried those products and they work well for sure. However, being the do-it-yourselfer that I am and always trying to save a penny here and there....I opt for taking a clean spray bottle and filling it half and half with water and ordinary bleach. (use full strength if the mold is reeeeeally bad). Just spray it on liberally wherever you see mold in your bathroom...scrub it if necessary...making sure to rinse it well afterwards. Works beautifully! Of course, you do need to allow for some venitlation or having a fan in there helps too.

I use bleach for killing mold & mildew wherever it grows...on windowsills and windowframes during long winter months...on walls in moist areas like closets and bathrooms. Its also great for powerwashing the outside of your home...where mold & mildew can really mess up the curb appeal!

Good luck...
Hilda>^..^<

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its that bad, get a new liner/curtain.

I've soaked my liner in bleach/hot water before and still had to scrub the yuck off.

Hope your mom hasn't been sick this whole time. I get sick if I go 3 weeks without cleaning mine (allergy-sickness)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

If its that bad, get a new liner/curtain.

I've soaked my liner in bleach/hot water before and still had to scrub the yuck off.

Hope your mom hasn't been sick this whole time. I get sick if I go 3 weeks without cleaning mine (allergy-sickness)
I know I used to have the worst headaches when I lived there. She now has a new skylight so that will help in the future. She asked me to come help her clean tomorrow and I really want to tackle that bathroom.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yes, those are good products. Just be sure when you use them that you wear eye protection and rubber gloves, and bring a fan in to help ventilate the room during and after.
Absolutely! Good reminder.

I use the bleach/water too...but more as maintainence. If it is really bad or I've let it go...then I do the Tilex, then each time I clean the whole b.r. I do the bleach in trouble spots (when I'm not lazy
)

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere, years ago, that a great way to keep your plastic shower curtain sparkling is to just put it into your washing machine along with a few bath towels. Been doing this ever since and I'm happy to announce it works puurrrfectly! I just toss in all my wash clothes & hand towels along with some hot water, bleach and BAKING SODA...and of course the shower curtain/liner. Make sure you don't wash a whole bunch of towels in that load of course because you want the shower curtain to have lots of room to swish around in...just a couple of towels will do, the terry cloth fabric acts as a scrubber on the plastic...I like using the smaller wash cloth sizes or even my kitchen dishtowels work great!...but I have been known to just add in a couple of big bath towels. When the wash is done, I just take and hang the curtain back up and it drips dry...or sometimes I'll place a fan in the bathroom to help it dry off faster.

Hilda>^..^<

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

I read somewhere, years ago, that a great way to keep your plastic shower curtain sparkling is to just put it into your washing machine along with a few bath towels. Been doing this ever since and I'm happy to announce it works puurrrfectly! I just toss in all my wash clothes & hand towels along with some hot water, bleach and BAKING SODA...and of course the shower curtain/liner. Make sure you don't wash a whole bunch of towels in that load of course because you want the shower curtain to have lots of room to swish around in...just a couple of towels will do, the terry cloth fabric acts as a scrubber on the plastic...I like using the smaller wash cloth sizes or even my kitchen dishtowels work great!...but I have been known to just add in a couple of big bath towels. When the wash is done, I just take and hang the curtain back up and it drips dry...or sometimes I'll place a fan in the bathroom to help it dry off faster.

Hilda>^..^<
I know mom does this on gentle but we don't have that option at the apt. I just soaked it with Mr Clean and wiped it down. It took forever and when I was done I hung it up backwards. LoL That was 2 weeks ago and I still didn't switch it. Those darn things weigh a ton. I only seem to remember to change it after the shower. I have to remember tonight to ask DH to help.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

I've also tried those products and they work well for sure. However, being the do-it-yourselfer that I am and always trying to save a penny here and there....I opt for taking a clean spray bottle and filling it half and half with water and ordinary bleach. (use full strength if the mold is reeeeeally bad). Just spray it on liberally wherever you see mold in your bathroom...scrub it if necessary...making sure to rinse it well afterwards. Works beautifully! Of course, you do need to allow for some venitlation or having a fan in there helps too.

I use bleach for killing mold & mildew wherever it grows...on windowsills and windowframes during long winter months...on walls in moist areas like closets and bathrooms. Its also great for powerwashing the outside of your home...where mold & mildew can really mess up the curb appeal!

Good luck...
Hilda>^..^<
I just sprayed our bathroom with bleach and water this afternoon. I will report back any changes I see. I haven't gotten to my mom's yet. Definately on the list.

Hilda do you have any other cleaning tips? I love your ideas.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the mold/mildew is really bad-make sure you wear a make over your nose.
To me bleach will be the only thing that works well. Is there either a window or a fan in the bathroom? If there is a fan it should always be run for 15 minutes to remove moisture (any longer and it can remove the heat from the room).