Is Severino being mean to Lucia??

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to run this by you all...We got a new kitten recently and Sev(4 years old) and her are non-stop play fighting I think
He gets her down and bites at her just like he play fights with Joey(Joey weighs 15 lbs). She does not seem bothered by it and always goes back for more and I am most likely being paranoid, but she's only 4 lbs and Sev is 13 lbs
He makes this mrrrrppppp noise at her when they are fighting
He is a very sweet boy, maybe he hates her

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me as if they're playing - just keep an eye on them to make sure the weight difference isn't causing any problems and intervene if the kitten has had enough and wants a break.

Radar and Sonic go at it constantly, and Radar makes the pigeon noises at Sonic. They are both as bad as each other. I was a bit concerned when Sonic was only 3lb and would break it up if it got too rough for him and he was tired of it, but now he is getting bigger he can definitely give as good as he gets! It is cute when Radar pins Sonic to the floor and licks his head, Sonic hates it

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't worry, it sounds like a combo of asserting dominance and playing. If Lucia keeps going back for more I'm sure she's not getting hurt too bad
what'll Sev do when Lucia can kick his butt???

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If neither of the cats is hissing or growling during these play fighting sessions then I think they are just playing. Tegato my 12 year old adult cat does the same thing with my 5 month old kitten Starbuck. Starbuck usually will start hissing if the playing gets to rough. Tegato usually stops when she does this and if not then I separate them for a little while to calm things down.

Perhaps someone who has a little more experience with this could offer more information though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all
...I'm a little stressed out this week
My DH says they are just playing, but I am nervous, I don't want anyone hurt or for Lucia to be afraid or scared in her new home. I'm sure I'm being overprotective of Lucia but also my Sev has a heart of GOLD and I can't imagine him hurting anyone

Katie
I'm cracking up about Lucia kicking Sev's butt...I'm sure it won't be long, she will be pinning him to the ground like Radar does to Sonic

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Thank you all
My DH says they are just playing, but I am nervous, I don't want anyone hurt or for Lucia to be afraid or scared in her new home. I'm sure I'm being overprotective of Lucia but also my Sev has a heart of GOLD and I can't imagine him hurting anyone

Katie
I'm cracking up about Lucia kicking Sev's butt...I'm sure it won't be long, she will be pinning him to the ground like Radar does to Sonic
Girl Power!!! Seriously though, I know how you feel with the stressed out thing, when I first got Posey and Hades I thought I was gonna rip my hair out, but then again, Posey really WAS trying to kill Hades
being woken up in the middle of the night to alley cat howls and screams is not a happy thing
I think I was more freaked out by the whole thing than my other cats were
but now they can co-exist in relative peace, it only took a couple months, so if Lucia and Sev are basically playing, no death threats involved, they should be cuddle buddies in no time!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like they are just playing like cats do. Try not to worry too much. Lucia is one tough cookie....she can take care of "mean ol' Sev"!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you all

Katie
I agree, they are just playing, especially if there is a mmmrrrrrrr sound rather than hissing and growling - and if Lucia is dominant enough, you WILL laugh when she grows up and kicks his butt, just the way I did when 8 pound Ginger got the best of 11 pound Ferris recently!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much...I know I am just an overprotective mother and now I feel bad thinking Sev is mean, I adore him so much I have never heard him hiss or growl at anyone or anything, I am a horrible mother

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am a horrible mother
How are you a horrible mother? You are anything but.
Worry is what a mother does best, after all!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Helen your anything but a horrible mum
Trust me Sev is loving his new playmate, and so is Lucia, especially when she's going back for more because Sophie used to do that with Rosie.

Those noises Sev's making really sound like a trill noise which is a form of greeting

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww heck, how can you ever think you are a bad mom

things are going fine between them, maybe Sev is also missing his little playfights with Joey
but from what you describe, it does sound like good old play-fighting.

Great training for the little one

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh no!! you are totally not a horrible mother! you are a GREAT Meowmy!! like Natalie said, worrying is what Mommy or Meowmy's do best
You just are making sure the "little guy" is ok, its only natural

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of these days, when Sev least expects it, a ball of tabby fluff will sideswipe him and part his hair a new way...