Tonkinese kittens?

ssmith0385

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Can any of you tell me some more about the Tonkinese breed? I *think* I understand the color groupings.. that the kittens can be either solid, mink, or pointed? And that only the mink and pointed have some form of blue/aqua eyes? Is $600 plus spay/neuter reasonable? (I hope it wasn't tacky to ask that - I just wanted to make sure it's in the ballpark and not too little or too much so as to be suspicious). Do any of you know of their dispositions and personalities? Thanks

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a rescued Tonk, so I can let you in on a few secrets.

1. They play fetch! Make sure you buy tons of kitty toys.

2. You may want to have a second cat because they are really social little kitties.

3. They are talkers, so if you want something quiet, a Tonk may not be the best breed for you.

4. They want to be around you ALL the time (they are very dog like) so make sure you can make time for them.

5. They are a big bunch of kitty love, so enjoy!

EDIT: When I make dinner, my Tonk sits right behind me the whole time. He wants to be involved in everything I do.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Tonkinese - its kinda the best of both worlds if you like siamese and burmese. They are the "in-between" cat - a little of both breeds. Friend of mine rescued a natural mink tonk long time ago. She showed the cat in HHP, and it won lots of ribbons - the judges also told her it was a 1st or 2nd generation tonk (probably byb type). He was really cool - talked a lot, tho not as much as the siamese.

They have laid back personalitys but are active cats. I like the natural minks the best.

Also if you like that "old-fashioned" type of siamese, the Tonks are close to that in looks

And $600 is very reasonable. That seems to be the going price on most pet purebreds now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ssmith0385

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your advice and tips
They are appreciated!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhhhh I LOVE Tonks!!!! I would love to be owned by a Tonk and a Bengal one day - I reckon they'd me a fun match up

Good luck, and make sure you post lots of pictures if you get one!!!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Ohhhhh I LOVE Tonks!!!! I would love to be owned by a Tonk and a Bengal one day - I reckon they'd me a fun match up

Being owned by a Tonk is a great honor. The first time Dr Claw brought me a toy to play fetch I almost cried.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Being owned by a Tonk is a great honor. The first time Dr Claw brought me a toy to play fetch I almost cried.
Your Dr Claw is one special boy alright!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is the difference between a Tonk and an Old Style Siamese? They look almost exactly the same. At least Dr Claw does. He looks a lot like my Rainbow Bridge Blue Point Siamese, although his face is a bit rounder. However, my old style Siamese Shane has a face that's about the same as Dr Claw.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonks are a cross of the siamese and burmese cats. They come in the mink colors, solid, and pointed. The original "burmese" was Wong Mau and they now think she really was a Tonkinese because she produced the solid colors of the burmese and the pointed colors of the siamese.

The Natural Mink are more of a solid color body with the hint of points. I'm wondering if some of the very early round headed siamese were really more like Wong Mau? Tonks also will have aqua eye color which is a bluish green shade.

Here's CFA's info on tonks :

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/tonkinese.html

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Heh, I'm about to add a Tonk to our household... but I'll definitely let you borrow mine so you can feel owned for a while if you like. Be forewarned.. they're a handful. And the Tonk hasn't even gotten here yet.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What color Tonk are you getting?

If I owned one, I'd only get the natural mink or the platnium mink - kinda totally opposite of the color spectrum, but those are the only 2 colors I really like

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the naturals, but I believe my little boy is a champagne point. I like the look overall of them, although honestly I looked at Siamese, but I thought the Tonk would fit into the household better given general personality traits involved.

stephdray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are Tonkinese cuddlers? Would they sleep with you, or lay with you? Or is it always 'play play play' all the time?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand Tonks are very cuddly and will usually ride around on your shoulders and want to be involved in everything you do... supposedly they are very people oriented.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been told that my Seb is a tonk. I have no idea since he just decided to make himself at home one day.
He is a lover but independent. He loves to play but plays gently and with less enthusiam now that he is older. He is capable of talking although it is not high pitched and he doesn't do it often. Or maybe I am just used to it? When people at the vet hear him they often ask if he is siamese

He does love people! I should be more social so his social life would improve. I was afraid he would wither away this past year when it was just the two of us. He is happier, though less rested, now that he has Daphne.
He hasn't met a human he doesn't like except those who used to hurt him.
He is too big to be carried around now - 14lbs. But he still likes to try to cuddle up on my chest when I'm on the computer. It works for a bit
He prefers to be near me whatever I am doing.
Has never played fetch but used to chase things when I threw them.

So, dunno if this has helped or not especially if he isn't even a tonk! He is my bestest friend though