What Color Is The Cat - Part II

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Proud you are 1/2 right - breed is right. What's the "proper" color ?

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm...looking up the color

but the next one i do believe is a british short hair blue ? Man i have become bad at colors lol

tjwharton24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The first one, Oriental -Black shorthair
The Second pic Something shorthair Color is Blue

I'm Learning from you Goldenkitty
Jennifer

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm i couldnt find that color anywhere lol! I hope someone got it right lol! From GK and Abbymom i am learning so much! I know so much on breeds and now that i said htat I bet we are going to get harder ones

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! that British Blue is just stunning. I love those round faces.

Keep em coming GK.

I will interject a question here... how come the Orientals are called Ebony instead of black and Chestnut instead of Chocolate? Just terminology from country of origin?

I know in horses, Arabians are Chestnut, but the same color in a Quarter horse would be called Sorrel. I am guessing cat breeds have the same idiosyncrasies (sp?)

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Godiva

I think Tobie should be called a Champagne ticked tabby. Very elegant and it fits unique him.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah... which association are you familiar with? I think that could work, but I haven't heard the term champagne used except with Burmese and Tonkinese. Do you think maybe that's where he got his weird color? It does suit him.

And to answer your question, yes... it is that way here. Each breed and each organization tend to name colors slightly differently, and different countries do too. It gets very confusing... I can't keep it straight, I just know a pretty kitty when I see one.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not familiar with any association just love cats like you. Tobie is so unique though, he just looks like a Champagne. Never know whatgenes his beautiful Daddy is carrying in combination with the known dilute from his mom.

I just saw this post by Mia Mouse in the breeder's forum
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122996

If anyone reading has cats with unusual colors, such as goldens or carmels they want you. Also cats that are dominant white, hearing and non-hearing, they need you to join their research.http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/Fa...ites/color.htm

It sounds like they might be able to give some good genetic ideas on Tobie. I know they would be absolutely facinated by him if they into coat color genetics.

It is not just his coat though, overall I think he is probably he cutest cat I have ever seen. Very special boy.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Thanks for that link... and the compliments!
Welcome to the site, by the way.

I guess I'll have to wait for tomorrow for a new kitty pic to look at...

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn... it looks like the site is no longer taking applicants. I'll keep an eye on it, though. I'm sure Tobie would love to donate some blood.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

I will interject a question here... how come the Orientals are called Ebony instead of black and Chestnut instead of Chocolate? Just terminology from country of origin?
This quiz is using CFA terminology - I'm afraid it's leaving me a bit stuck, as in the UK there is no such thing as an Ebony or Chestnut OSH, and it wouldn't occur to me to refer to them as such! We also call them 'self' rather than 'solid'. OSH come in the following self colours in the UK: Black, Blue, Lilac, Red*, Cream, Apricot, Cinnamon, Caramel, and Fawn. We also have the Foreign White and the Havana.

I am finding the CFA terms too confusing to be able to answer some of these, because while I know the OSH colours as registered with the GCCF I wouldn't know whether the CFA call them the same or something different.

* because I know someone will point out that red self is a bit of a strange case, yes it's an odd one - the GCCF allow red self with faint tabby markings but not pronounced.