They want to vaccinate me!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How aweful! Today i went into work to find my name in big bold letters along with all of my other coworkers on the dry erase board....it said "Health Dpt. Wants all employees to get vaccinated for Hepatitis B. It's a series of 3 shots,they'll pay for it. Don't worry- you'll get a bandaid for your bobo!:
Oh joy! lol although i thought the bandaid/bobo thing was a nice touch by my goofy coworker
We all have to get a series of 3 shots for Hepatitis B if we haven't had it in the past 10 years. All animal control workers have to have them because we deal with needles/syringes every day as well as the general public- so it's just to be safe. The city pays to "vaccinate" all their employees and provide all necessary medical things so at least i don't have to pay.I just got to looking at my medical records and my last one was in 1996....so i guess i'm over due for one. Oh well, at least i don't have to pay for it
So i guess i have to go to the health dpt. tomorrow and get a bandaid for my bobo
Great way to spend my day off
It's nice to go into work and find out they want to vaccinate me

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd really think twice, three, maybe 4 times about going through with that deal. Needles in and of themselves do not spread Hep B. Unless you are in a high risk group--share needles, engage in prostitution or are a gay male, the chances of contracting Hep B is very very remote. However, the risk of receiving the vaccine can be life altering---MS is very high in people who receive the vaccine, among other maladies.

Please do a search before accepting this "free vaccine." It could very well cost you your health.

Cally---whose daughter was permanently damaged by Hep B vaccine she received as a newborn. Sigh...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they tell you that you have to have a blood test after the 3rd shot?
That's so they can check and make sure it actually took.

I have to have Hep B shots at work too along with a bunch of other stuff because of my job.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
High risk = health care worker. Do you work in a doctor's office or something? Because if you worked with somebody who had hepatitis, and managed to get a needle stick or they bled on you and you had a paper cut or something, you could get it. So yeah, it's probably a good idea.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd get them just to be safe.
Here's calming vibes coming your way.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had the full course and a booster- unless you are pregnant I reckon you will be fine

In the UK the injections are in your arm so no plaster on your 'booboo'

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

I'd really think twice, three, maybe 4 times about going through with that deal. Needles in and of themselves do not spread Hep B. Unless you are in a high risk group--share needles, engage in prostitution or are a gay male, the chances of contracting Hep B is very very remote. However, the risk of receiving the vaccine can be life altering---MS is very high in people who receive the vaccine, among other maladies.

Please do a search before accepting this "free vaccine." It could very well cost you your health.

Cally---whose daughter was permanently damaged by Hep B vaccine she received as a newborn. Sigh...
wow...cally, i had no idea!
bless your heart!!! And your daughers-that's just horrible! i'm definitely going to research when i have kids and the vaccination issues arises. As far as I go though-i've had the hep. b shots before and did well with them so i'm not too worried. (had them back in 95 & 96) I honestly would not get the shot if i weren't being foreced into it just because i don't like shots! but that being said- it is mandatory for ALL animal control officers/techs/etc.....we work with needles everyday and there are people in and out of our shelter on a daily basis- so it is a precaution the city takes to keep their employees safe. That's why we have to have it. I am really sorry about your daugher- i can't imagine how aweful that must be....i've heard of several children comming down with problems after baby/childhood vaccinations. My heart goes out to you!

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Did they tell you that you have to have a blood test after the 3rd shot?
That's so they can check and make sure it actually took.

I have to have Hep B shots at work too along with a bunch of other stuff because of my job.
No, they didn't mention it- just that i have to get one tomorrow, a month from tomorrow and 6 months from tomorrow- i imagine when i go tomorrow they'll fill me in on everything else- but thankyou for mentioning that! I will definitely ask about it if they don't say anything because i am already having potassium/other health problems so i don't want that to mess up anything. Thanks hon!

Originally Posted by Callista

High risk = health care worker. Do you work in a doctor's office or something? Because if you worked with somebody who had hepatitis, and managed to get a needle stick or they bled on you and you had a paper cut or something, you could get it. So yeah, it's probably a good idea.
I work at the shelter (animal control/tech) i vaccinate animals almost daily so we're constantly dealing with needles/syringes. Not to mention all the razors/ instruments we use for surgeries when we're helping the vet! We could definitely have a mishap if we're not careful. not to mention people in and out every day so they're making it mandatory for all AC. officers and shelter techs to get vaccinated as a precaution. I don't really mind it- it seems like a smart move especially with the volume of needles we handle on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by chromodactyl

good luck with yr shots
Originally Posted by babyharley

Good luck w/ your shots... I'm scared of them!
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

OUCH!!! I hate needles

Good luck tomarrow
Originally Posted by crittermom

I'd get them just to be safe.
Here's calming vibes coming your way.
Thanks guys!! I appreciate it! I'm just glad it's a shot and not a blood test!
Shots i'm ok for -sure they're uncomfortable and sting for a minute- but blood tests- wow i'm a total pansy about those!!!!
So i don't mind. I'm going to run up to the health dpt. while i'm off work tomorrow and get it done real quick. No biggie
I just thought it was funny they wanted to Vaccinate us like a bunch of animals

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my hep B series in HighSchool the government recomended it for all students. There was a large problem in Canada with Hepititis infected blood a few years ago, I think they were covering their asses

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry, but i think i would refuse those, shots. nikki
for reason that have already been said. even if i had to go find a new job.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

for u nikkie

don't worry i get my depo tomorrow and its on my hip lol! Of course i get a pretty band aide too
We can have pretty band-aids together! How fun
I want butterflies on mine

Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I had my hep B series in HighSchool the government recomended it for all students. There was a large problem in Canada with Hepititis infected blood a few years ago, I think they were covering their asses
It's the same way here- when i was in school all the students had to have it too.

Originally Posted by theimp98

sorry, but i think i would refuse those, shots. nikki
for reason that have already been said. even if i had to go find a new job.
Well, quitting my current job isn't an option.
I've had the vaccinations before and was ok so i'm not worried. The only thing i was wondering about is if i got pregnant between now and the last vaccine how that would affect things- because i don't think unnecessary meds/vaccinations are good if a lady is pregnant. (i'm not now, but i was just thinking about what if you know , just in case). I'm going to ask about it tomorrow before i get it. That being said though- as much as i work around needles/razors/tools- i think it's a good idea to be up to date with Hepatitis vaccines as Hepatitis can cause a host of health issues and if that can be avoided in the most part by some vaccines, i don't mind i don't think.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch!! Arent those the ones that hurt, really bad?? *shivers*

I will be thinking of you when you get your shot(s) Nikki!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Ouch!! Arent those the ones that hurt, really bad?? *shivers*

I will be thinking of you when you get your shot(s) Nikki!!
I don't remember (it's been almost 11 years since i've had one
) but my coworker Shalwan had her's today and said it just stung for a minute, nothing major. I'm tough, i'll live
I'm just happy i don't have to get a blood test
I HATE them

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh i am sure you will be ok, I just feel we have to many vaccinations now.
Some people are saying that why america has higher death rate in new borns then some other places, and also blaming it on the higher cases of autistic childern.

the doc wanted to give me when i went over seas, but since i dont hmm pick up working girls and such, i was not to worried about it.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to have Hep B for college and the shelter...I also had to have meningitis for college.

I've also been vaccinated against rabies, but that's because I got attacked by a dog.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Good luck w/ your shots... I'm scared of them!
I'm with Kenz on that one! I play with needles at the HS here....maybe I should talk to my doctor about that....