An accident?

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, Addie peed on a blanket beside the couch, then later on a shirt by the couch. Since then, she has used the box as normal. She is in full heat. She didn't spray, though, just let her bladder go. I've talked to the vet's office and, since we're planning on bringing her in for a reweighing on saturday, we're going to observe her until then. If she does it again, we'll give her a full exam to check for a UTI etc. When she was a very little kitten, she used to pee on the bed once in a while (we got her as a 5 week old, so, while she knew about the litter box, she wasn't always consistent). Her behaviour has been normal otherwise, so I'm thinking it might have just been an accident.....or perhaps someone else was occupying the box she wanted? Anyone have a cat that has an occasional accident but isn't sick??

P.S. Please don't post just to tell me that I should spay Addie. I'd love to, but we aren't able to until she gains more weight. Believe me, when that happens, I'll be practically running to the vet, because these estrus cycles are driving us crazy!

meistersar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats in heat will often pee on clothing and furniture. You could try to use some of the different sprays they have that help to curb this behaivor until you can get her fixed

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have a virtually unspayable girl...I can sympathise. Hopefully Addie will gain the needed weight soon. I remember reading about the scary experience you and Addie had at the 1st attempt to spay her.

My Precious hasn't peed on anything horizontal. She sprayed once that I know of. But I feel fortunate, as I believe they will do that, like the others said.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I figure it's just a spay thing (oh, joy....and I'm so enjoying the extra noise from the kitten already nicknamed Mouthpiece). But we're watching her, just because it's new.

Beandip: She's giving us a terrible time with the feeding. She's so picky and has little to no appetite. She just wants a few bites a day and then she's done. I'm just hoping she has at least not lost weight when we bring her in.

mlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Spraying" is normal, natural, and approprate behavior for intact felines. Animals in the wild rely on scent marking for survival and reproduction and domestic cats still retain those basic survival instincts. It is important to do early spay/neuter to nip this behavior in the butt before a cats adult hormones instructs it to scent mark. After a cat starts spraying spay/neuter might not stop the problem.

Innaproprate urination/defication can ALSO be a sigh of illness so it might be a good idea to have tests run on the cats blood and urine just too be sure....you can set up a spay apt. while you're there too

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mlynn

Innaproprate urination/defication can ALSO be a sigh of illness so it might be a good idea to have tests run on the cats blood and urine just too be sure....you can set up a spay apt. while you're there too
Very true about the innappropriate peeing. Leli already took Addie to be spayed a couple months ago...and Addie had a near death experience if I remember correctly...so they weren't able to do the operation. Vet said she has to gain some weight before trying again.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mlynn

"Spraying" is normal, natural, and approprate behavior for intact felines. Animals in the wild rely on scent marking for survival and reproduction and domestic cats still retain those basic survival instincts. It is important to do early spay/neuter to nip this behavior in the butt before a cats adult hormones instructs it to scent mark. After a cat starts spraying spay/neuter might not stop the problem.

It is clear that you didn't even bother to read all of my post. She's not spraying, which would be a different behaviour, but just peeing, which is also common in cats in heat. I'm watching her for signs of illness. If this recurs or there are any other symptoms, she'll go to the vet saturday. I can't spay her right now.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know a breeder who has a 9 month old girl who will pee on the bed, only when she is begining her estrus. It's sort of like males spraying. Yes it is her way of spraying but its not butt in the air hit the wall spraying.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mia mouse

I know a breeder who has a 9 month old girl who will pee on the bed, only when she is begining her estrus. It's sort of like males spraying. Yes it is her way of spraying but its not butt in the air hit the wall spraying.
Yeah, we think that it's marking behaviour, because of the heat. She just doesn't actually spray it on objects as some cats in heat do.