Anyone like to cook here???

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to cook a pot roast? I am clueless in the kitchen, but I want to surprise my husband with a nice dinner when he gets home from work.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only cook a pot roast in the "crockpot" (slow cooker) and that takes all day, so not sure how to do one quicker in the oven. I'm sure someone will be able to help you though. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol...welp I hope so haha. I have a tiny crockpot..not big enough for the roast, so that option was out the window.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a pot roast in the oven takes hours to cook. So, I doubt you'll have time to get that done today.

But, here's how I do it. Heat oven to 325. I mix a bit of flour, powdered beef bouillon (or if you don't have that, forego the flour and bouillon and just use bisto) and fresh ground pepper together. Then I sprinkle some on the beef. On the stovetop, I heat a few tbsps of oil and then sear the outside of the meat so it's nice and brown (but not burnt). In the meantime, I've heated my beef broth (or whatever liquid you're using) (TIP: never ever add a cold liquid to this or the meat will be super tough) to just about boiling. When the meat is seared, then add the liquid and whatever else you like in your roast. (DH likes my to use onion soup mix, but I prefer the beef broth with a bit of tomato-based juice like V8 and a clove of garlic). I cook this for about 3 - 4 hours, sometimes longer, depending on the cut of meat.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put some butter and oil (about 1/4 cup total) in a dutch oven sized pot, turn the heat to medium and brown the roast all over on all sides, top and bottom. Then I add water to come to about half-way up the roast, cover and simmer for several hours. You'll need to keep an eye on it to make sure the water doesn't evaporate and you'll surely need to add more as the cooking goes on. You could add a bay leaf while it's cooking, but for pot roast I prefer just the simple, delicious taste of the beef. I love spices and such in other things I make but not pot roast. After the roast is finished I remove the meat, add some salt to the remaining drippings/water, thicken and mmmmmmmm - delicious.

I shake together in a glass jar, cold water (about 1/2 cup) and all-purpose flour (about 2 tablespoons). While the drippings are at boiling, stir in the flour mixture by gradually adding it in a thin stream a little at a time, stop and stir and keep doing this until the gravy is the consistency you want it. We don't like it too thick. Turn the heat down and let is simmer until the flour is cooked.

You usually won't get lumps if you stir a cold liquid into a boiling liquid.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually sear (sp.?) pot roast with a little oil in a deep pan on a high heat(stovetop) after coating it in a seasoning salt/pepper mix. Then into the oven on a low heat (325) for many hours. At least 4-5. I like it to fall apart

If you add veggie's(potatoes,carrots,ect.) don't add until the last 1 1/2-2 hours of cook time

Add a little water to the pan to prevent a burnt bottom.
!!!!!YUM!!!!!!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheesh...I didn't realize it was so complicated lol...I would have just thrown it in a roaster with some water and beef broth and some veggies for a few hours and called it a day lol....

I have exactly 3.5 hours until the hubby is home from work, so I'm still going to give this a shot.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

Sheesh...I didn't realize it was so complicated lol...I would have just thrown it in a roaster with some water and beef broth and some veggies for a few hours and called it a day lol....

I have exactly 3.5 hours until the hubby is home from work, so I'm still going to give this a shot.
Then cook it at 350! Good luck, I hope it turns out well so dh thinks you're a simply amazing cook.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parent's cook Pot Roast in the pressure cooker! Only takes about an hour and the fat totally melts away
It's sooooo good !!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I usually cook mine all day in the crock pot! Let us know how it turns out!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The quick method is using the range top, as Linda/Yosemite suggested. After browning the outside, you can add some water, broth, or wine, and simmer at low-medium heat for 90 - 120 minutes, depending on the size of the roast. What I usually do is slice the roast after 90 minutes, so I can see how "done" it is (we like our meat well-done), make the gravy, and put the slices back in till they're cooked to the degree I want.
If you want roast potatoes and/or carrots, figure an hour for the roast alone, and then 45 to 60 minutes for the added vegetables at about 200°C.

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
from a food person that is all excellent advice,its not that complicated.best thing-relax,pour glass of wine,put music on and start it and enjoy it.There are some things you want to stick to such as searing etc.the creative bit is what flavours u want.try herbs,garlic,onions or whatever suits u

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, I gotta admit..I wimped out

But I'm going to slowcook it tomorrow if my slow cooker is big enough and that way, I'll have plenty of time to cook it tomorrow.

I'm going to go with whole wheat pasta and groundturkey meat sauce for myself and meatballs for the hubby.

Ahh I really would like to take some cooking classes...I feel very dumb when it comes to the kitchen. Some of the stuff you guys are talking about...well I don't even know what some of it is lol.

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
there is some great advice on the internet and with practice...but mostly enjoy it and experiment

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm not using my slow cooker, then I use a roasting pan.

I heat the oven to 500 degrees.

Place to roast into a roasting pan. Add chunks of onions, carrots and celery around the sides of the roast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add about 1/2 cup of water to the pan. Cover tightly.

Place in oven. Cook at 500 degrees for 15 minutes then turn heat down to 325 degrees.

Here is a link that gives you some good information about cooking times:

http://www.ochef.com/343.htm

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have been looking around on the internet and I've gotta learn the kitchen lingo. I understand microwave and bake lol with little to no prep time.

I am definately going to spend all day trying to cook this roast though...I don't know how I got a 98 in home ec..it's just wrong lol.

I can do this I can do this I can do this. I might be back tomorrow with some questions...and I think I'll be needing to go to the store for a couple things.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If I'm not using my slow cooker, then I use a roasting pan.

I heat the oven to 500 degrees.

Place to roast into a roasting pan. Add chunks of onions, carrots and celery around the sides of the roast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add about 1/2 cup of water to the pan. Cover tightly.

Place in oven. Cook at 500 degrees for 15 minutes then turn heat down to 325 degrees.

Here is a link that gives you some good information about cooking times:

http://www.ochef.com/343.htm
Wooo I just seen this and well this seems much more realistic for my capabilities lol.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmmmm, pot roast! I love it too! Usually cooking it all day is the best way.

Here's a slightly different method than what y'all might be familiar with. My brother in law does this and OMGoodness...its wonderful! He cooks it on his stove top but starts it early in the day about 9 or 10 a.m. if not earlier. First he browns it on all sides in a deep frying pan-type pan in a little olive oil, along with onions, bell pepper & garlic. He then adds about 1/2 can of tomato sauce and water to just about cover the entire roast. He lowers the heat down to simmer, covers the pan with a tight fitting lid and lets it cook all day this way...checking on it from time to time of course. About an hour and a half before dinner, he adds chopped carrots & potatoes and thickens the liquid with either flour or corn starch and adds salt & peper to taste. This thing is AMAZING...tender...tasty....wonderful with corn or green beans or anything else! We usually eat this meal with flour tortillas but you can easily have some sort of bread or rolls of course...or nothing at all...the stuff is great!

Hilda>^..^<

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

Wooo I just seen this and well this seems much more realistic for my capabilities lol.
Oh... I forgot about the potatoes!!!!

I buy those mini potatoes that are already in a bag and washed.

I put those around the roast, then add chunks of Carrots, Celery and Onion that are about the size of one of the medium sized little potatoes that you added.

It's very easy. Just leave the lid on until you are ready to check the temperature of the roast. if it needs more cooking, put the lid back on it. This keeps the roast moist and juicy and doesn't dry it out.