Anyone got an 8 month old kitty??

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm pretty sure that when Stumpy and Lily were about 8 months old, they looked fully grown. I went back and looked at pics, and Lily looks the same, but may be a bit longer now, and we'd only had Stumpy for a month or so, and she was still recovering from her car accident, but she looks the same, just nowhere near as skinny.

Little baby Smudge though still looks like a baby. She has a little kitten face still and a little kitten body still. She looks like she should be growing a lot still but has stayed the same weight for a while, and is a perfectly healthy little girl, and is certainly not skinny at all!

So, if you have a cat around that age, do they look like a kitten still, or do they look like an adult cat?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it depnds alot on the kitty's genetics
My Cybele, Nike, Ismene and Zeus were incredibly small kitties, but Pandora, Antigone, and Demeter were fairly full grown at 8 months, and Gaia just turned a year and is probably 2x as big as she was at 8 months and she was big girl back then too
I'm not sure she's finished growing yet either
I love perpetual kitten kitties though, isn't that everyone's dream

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm pretty sure that when Stumpy and Lily were about 8 months old, they looked fully grown. I went back and looked at pics, and Lily looks the same, but may be a bit longer now, and we'd only had Stumpy for a month or so, and she was still recovering from her car accident, but she looks the same, just nowhere near as skinny.

Little baby Smudge though still looks like a baby. She has a little kitten face still and a little kitten body still. She looks like she should be growing a lot still but has stayed the same weight for a while, and is a perfectly healthy little girl, and is certainly not skinny at all!

So, if you have a cat around that age, do they look like a kitten still, or do they look like an adult cat?
My Nollee will be 8 months next week and she is only 4 pounds and some odd ounces! She is very petite and still looks like a kitten! Not a newborn kitten but she still looks young!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mojo's right around 8 months old (if I trust my own calculations on her age. The rescue said she was 6 months old, but I think she was closer to 4 months when we got her). I think she still looks like a kitten, but mainly in her face. She's grown SO much! She definitely still PLAYS like a kitten, I'll tell you that much!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two 8 month olds and two that are almost 8 months old. Leo & Daisy Duke are litter mates, their parents were both smallish cats. Leo weighs 8 pounds and Daisy is 5 pounds.... Daisy especially is very dainty.
Tabitha and Olive are both almost 8 months, not related. Tabitha is a BIG girl, at 8 pounds.. very stocky. Olive is very dainty, about 4-5 pounds or so.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I love perpetual kitten kitties though, isn't that everyone's dream
Not really. As cute as it is, kitten behavior drives me crazy sometimes.

Tomas is around 8 months, I think he looks small, but he is fat little thing and still growing. I didn't realize how much he had grown until I was looking back at pictures from the night I found him.
If you have 'now and then' pictures to compare you'll notice how much your kittens have grown. Otherwise it sort of sneaks up on us.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger was full grown at 9 months old, and at nearly 2 years old and just 8 pounds, she still looks a bit like a kitten, but Ferris has changed quite a bit just over the last three months (he is almost 11 months old.)

At 8 months old, his fur was a raggedy mess, and his face hadn't started to fill out. He looked very much like a kitten. Now his mane is growing longer and fuller, his head has increased in size and his chin has broadened, and his coat is starting to fill in and look more even.

They are all different. Gotta love 'em!

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Diesel was already 6lbs. 6 oz. when he came home @ 12 weeks! Tucker at the same age weighed 4lbs, still a big kitten but tiny in comparison

Diesel's 10 months old now and 14 lbs, 8oz. Tucker's slowly catching up,he's 9lbs now (almost 7 months old) Tucker still looks like a kitten and Diesel has NEVER looked like a kitten

I definately agree that there is a genetic factor!

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure exactly what Gillan weighs but I rekon he is around 8lbs. He is still quite 'kitten like' but he is growing each day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, they really are all different! Smudge weighs about 3.8kg (8 1/2 lbs I think), and she's fluffy and getting a little belly on her
but she has such a sweet little kitteny face still
She's a lot fluffier than our other girls, so maybe that makes her look more kitten-like as well?

She definitely has lost her crazy kitten-ness and is growing out of the chewing of our fingers (finally!!!!), and is more snuggly now which is nice

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Benson will be 8 months in 2 weeks. We have two fat kitties so Ben still looks like a kitten to us. We can tell he has grown from pictures. He weighs 10lbs now.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor's kitten Dewey is about 8 months now. He is still smaller than an adult cat. Weird thing is for the past like 2 months it seems like his growing REALLY slowed down. Like I cant even tell anymore if he's growing. But I'm sure when he's a year or older he will be bigger than he is now.

To me, actually meeting your cats, Stumpy is TINY. She still looks like a large kitten to me
Must be because my cats are 12lbs

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have 2 8 month olds who are sisters , they still look small to me and are still growing , forest seems to be getting bigger and bigger every day for the last 2 weeks or so , and seems to be filling out a lot more , before she was very slim and sleek , now shes getting heavier and not looking so skinny now. btw she was a healthy skinny cat lol .
i also have 2 11 months old , they seem to have stoped growing now.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a pair of 10 month olds at the shelter...siblings, ostensibly, and one of them is about 6.5 pounds and the other is 11 pounds. They're both still growing a little, though a little less like weeds at this point, at about the same rate. Andi will probably only weigh 7-7.5 pounds when she's done. Actually, our current pair of eyelist agenesis kits are both little girls who are small for their age!

I've met several adult cats that only weigh in the 6-8 pound range. What's her background?

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bean is about 7 months old now. He's still in that lanky stage. I still expect him to grow a little more and fill out.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do
Little Kojak is around 7 months!
He still looks very kitten like to me but he is definitely growing into quite the handsome little fella
these are the most recent pictures i have of him. He got neutered a week ago today (we had to wait a while as he was very sickly). When i preped him for his neuter he weighed in at 8lbs...so he's going to be a big kitty i think
he definitely acts like a kitten though! he's into EVERYTHING!!! and EVERYTHING is a toy

here he is pretending to be all innocent when i cought him getting into trouble

he looks soo little here too me taking a nap with his best buddy

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Critter Crazy

My Loki is 8 months old, and My Mocha is 7 months old. Loki is lanky, very slim. Mocha is quite the chunky girl.
oh wow! your mocha has a gorgeous coat! i bet her face is adorable!!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brats are 7 1/2 months old. They DO look almost full grown (note to self: take more pics) Reilly was rather small for a LONG time but thier father is HUGE!