Neutering and has parts

dch123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are there different ways of neutering a male cat? MY previous cat was a neutered male, and I couldn't see any of his parts, ever. My current cat was just neutered, and I still see his penis when he cleans, and he also still has his sacks in the back. They said they removed the "nuggets" and left the rest there. I was just wondering if in some cases they remove the sacks and all and others they don't, of was my previous cat just "small"
or maybe had more fur to hide them?

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it has something to do with the age neutered. Saki was neutered really really young and I barely see his 'sacks' at all. My friends cat was neutered after 1 year old and it still looks like he has little sacks but they're not huge.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have always had sacks. I think Sicycat is on to something about the age, as I can imagine that the skin stretches when they are allowed to fully "mature"...if you've seen a adult tom cat you know what I mean...they get huge.

I think when they get older they seem to get less obvious too...shriveling??

As far as I know they don't ever do anything to the penis w/neutering...it still works...like you saw when he was grooming.

The sacks are hard to see on some cats. I took a long haired black cat to my vet once to check for a spay scar...no spay scar, but he used to have testicles!! I was embarrassed

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of my kittens were neutered around 5 months of age and they both still have noticable "sacks" My Ragdoll's show's up more though because the fur on his "sack" is grey

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When dEUS was neutered I wondered almost same thing (in Birmans -as in all pointed cats - the cold parts are dark and the warmer parts are white, and the scrotum is meant to be cooler than the rest of the body), he had this white furry butt with this dark thing in the middle, and it was still there after he was neutered. But now he is more than a year older and it is all but gone.

I have read a study that said not all male cats are able to extrude their penis as much, it had somethin to do with the age of neutering (and was not the same for all cats). Maybe some cats are more private than others, I have never seen Flynn's but I have seen dEUS's and Ernesto's. There is a difference between neutered and unneutered males though, when dEUS wasn't neutered yet I once saw his penile spines (like little hooks, they stimulate the female cat to ovulate) and now his equipment is smooth again.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I think it just depends on who did the neutering, i.e., when and where they were trained. A few decades ago, it seemed as if the entire scrotum was usually removed, but nowadays they leave most of it.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mimosa

When dEUS was neutered I wondered almost same thing (in Birmans -as in all pointed cats - the cold parts are dark and the warmer parts are white, and the scrotum is meant to be cooler than the rest of the body), he had this white furry butt with this dark thing in the middle, and it was still there after he was neutered. But now he is more than a year older and it is all but gone.
Oh good,so it'll likely lighten up? My 2 year old son is constantly pointing it out and telling me that Tucker is "poopy"

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

Oh good,so it'll likely lighten up? My 2 year old son is constantly pointing it out and telling me that Tucker is "poopy"
Leopold's hasn't lightened up, I'm afraid. He is still "poopy" (I love that
) and he's 9 yrs old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dch123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is all funny! My previous cat was neutered when we got him at 9 months, so I don't know how old he was when he was neutered. He came from a shelter. I also took him to the vet and the vet said he was a spayed female! (He has an incision on his stomach, which we also aren't sure what was from, maybe a hernia). After looking a little more, he realized he was a male cat. He must have had a complex by then. The current cat was 1 when he was neutered, so he was more mature.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dch123

I also took him to the vet and the vet said he was a spayed female! (He has an incision on his stomach, which we also aren't sure what was from, maybe a hernia). After looking a little more, he realized he was a male cat.
It could've been an exploratory/ neuter. Tucker had to have that surgery because he had a testicle that hadn't decended.They go in through the belly and hunt around until they find the missing bits and remove them. He has two scars on his belly