Question of the Day 4-12-07

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you throw out unused prescriptions or save them for when you might need them again?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of them saved but I should really throw them out. I don't think I've used any of them and some are probably expired.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on what they are.
Some things, when stored properly are still good for every bit of their shelf life.
Antibiotics though should be thrown out if unused (though when prescribed, you are supposed to take them all)

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on what they are. If they are an antibiotic no, I will toss them if there are any left. But if it is a pain medication, I will keep them until they reach their expiration date.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a saver. I have meds from my wisdom teeth for a while. I finally got rid of them since I couldn't imagine needing them. Then I hurt my foot!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have some strong pain killers that I have when I had an injury, I didn't use them all as didn't need them but thought I would keep them just in case. Never know, they could come in handy!!!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always finish my medicines. I learned the hard way years ago that by not finishing the medications mean a repeat of the cold.

Mom would save them and reuse them especially cough medicine.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I don't have any prescriptions, but when I do I keep them till they expire.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I don't really have any prescriptions. When I get prescribed stuff, I usually take it all.
Ditto. I'm seldom sick enough to require medication, though. One of my mutant powers is the ability to very rarely get sick. (My other "mutant powers" are the ability to heal fairly quickly -- not like Wolverine fast, but faster than most folks I know -- and the ability to recognize any random combination of names and faces and immediately know what movie or television show that person was in, even if I never personally saw that movie/TV show myself. I must use that power only for good.
)

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a saver, until the expiration date anyways. I just read something about how people shouldn't flush old medicine down the toilet because it is getting into the water supply, so now I am not sure what I'll do with old medicine.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lakeriedog

I am a saver, until the expiration date anyways. I just read something about how people shouldn't flush old medicine down the toilet because it is getting into the water supply, so now I am not sure what I'll do with old medicine.
Check with your pharmacy. All the major chains around here will take your old prescriptions and expired OTC meds and dispose of them safely.

We don't have much need for prescriptions [touch wood]. Antibiotics get used up as instructed. Pain killers get kept until the expiry date, and then disposed of safely.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!!
I look like a pharmacy!! I save everything....lol. I catch myself even saving the refrigerated things(my daughters amoxil)

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have the pain pills from when I had my suregery for my wisdom! I have them as a just in case lol, mind u they are 2 different pills and prescriptions