Siamese Catsitting Diaries Day 2

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all many thanks to everyone who responded to my MayDay call on how to deal with a very vocal and physical Siamese kitty. He's such a good boy with bad habits I guess you could say.

DAY 2
I came over last night and spent about an hour and half with him. This time I brought the squirt bottle with me. I had it on "Spray" first. Opened the door with my foot wedged and there the little rascal was. Nose on the floor trying to get under my foot. "Spray".....reacted a little but then I said "BACK UP BACK UP"....then he moved. Whew! Ok, first part done. Now walking to the kitchen. "MEYRRRRRRRRRRR MEYRRRRRRRRRR" Man was he vocal. Then he started the slapping of my ankles and wrapped himself around my legs again. Squirted him a few times on the "spray" mode but it didn't do much. I sat on the floor and turned the TV on for some noise and pulled out all the toys. I played him rough with the string. He was flying all over the place. Flipping around and rolling around. It was nice to see. Once I saw that he got pooped out a little I got up to go to the bathroom to clean out their litter box. Bad move. "MEYRRRRRRRRRRRRR MEYRRRRRRRRRRRRR" Wrapped around my leg and took a bite out of my jeans. I came prepared. No skin was showing and an extra pair of long socks and gym shoes was on this body. Once I was done cleaning the box I attemped to go back into place to play with him some more. Again, got attacked. Sprayed him some more and he at least moved a little so I could walk back but still. Soooooooo, I get a phone call on my cell and he goes off and has some food in the kitchen. When I was getting of the phone I realized he wasn't coming back. I went to go check on him and then there he was. Blocking the front door, sprawled out. "Ok, this is gonna be fun." Oh and I tried doing the throwing of the toy bit away from the door so I could escape? He just turned his head slowly it seemed and just gave me this look like "Yeah Right Lady".

Sooooooooooo, after about an hour and a half, it was time for me to go home. I started walking to the door only this time I put my bottle on "Stream". Got myself together and started walking. Well to my amazement, he did his crying but I bent down, petted him and said, "I have to go home now honey, but I'll be back in the morning to feed you and then tomorrow night we can play again". He just looked at me and I began to walk to the door. He didn't move a muscle and I quietly walked out the door as he stood there just looking at me. Whew!!! Wow, that was different.

Saw him this morning and he did a little swatting but did not wrap himself around me. Filled up their water bowls and dry food and I told him I would be back tonight. Petted him some more and as I walked to the door, he started up a little but this time I quirted him a little and he backed off and I left with out drama again.

Ok, this seems too easy. It's only a matter of time before he gets wise to the bottle but we'll see. Maybe I should change it up.

What do you Siamese parents think?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may figure out that he gets squirted when he yowls and charges the door, but that is the idea. Once he knows those behaviors produce a result that he doesn't like, he may abandon them. Reinforce it by rewarding desirable behaviors.

Also, I'd feed him first, then scoop the boxes. He may pay attention to his food and leave you alone so you can clean up.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From reading what you have written about this poor little guy, it is obvious to me that you've had little or no experience with Siamese cats. They are extremely vocal, social creatures of habit and routine. They bond very, very closely with their owners and actually grieve if they are denied access (for whatever reasons) to those owners. They are overly loving and emotional beings. By squirting him with water, you are punishing him for telling you that his world is upset ... his people are gone, his routines are off, nothing is right. He is slapping at you to get your attention in fear and frustration because to him, you aren't listening to his pleas for help to make things right again.

I realize you have a job to do in petsitting this poor little guy, but please ... try to be more understanding of his extremely emotional state. He misses his people, he doesn't understand why they are gone and is trying, in the only ways he knows how, to tell you that he is upset.

Leave the water bottle at home and instead, simply try to talk gently to him, pet him, play with him, spend some quality TIME with him, even if you are going over the alloted time for his visits. If you are good with him, the owners will use your services again, but going the extra mile in understanding his nature will ensure a HAPPY time for him while they are away and he is in your care.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

From reading what you have written about this poor little guy, it is obvious to me that you've had little or no experience with Siamese cats. They are extremely vocal, social creatures of habit and routine. They bond very, very closely with their owners and actually grieve if they are denied access (for whatever reasons) to those owners. They are overly loving and emotional beings. By squirting him with water, you are punishing him for telling you that his world is upset ... his people are gone, his routines are off, nothing is right. He is slapping at you to get your attention in fear and frustration because to him, you aren't listening to his pleas for help to make things right again.

I realize you have a job to do in petsitting this poor little guy, but please ... try to be more understanding of his extremely emotional state. He misses his people, he doesn't understand why they are gone and is trying, in the only ways he knows how, to tell you that he is upset.

Leave the water bottle at home and instead, simply try to talk gently to him, pet him, play with him, spend some quality TIME with him, even if you are going over the alloted time for his visits. If you are good with him, the owners will use your services again, but going the extra mile in understanding his nature will ensure a HAPPY time for him while they are away and he is in your care.
Yes, I do agree with what you say. I can relate since I have a siamese of my own. But when he tries bolting out the door she needs to be prepared ahead of time. I think if you are going to use a spray bottle just keep it at the front door for only whenyou are entering. I wouldn't use it around the house when he's beggin for attention. The very very first thing I do when I come home from work- even before I take my shoes off
Is sit down and play with PHX. This is what he wants. Play with him and get him all pooped out. Then after he's settled down a bit that's when I go check on food, water, litter, etc. PHX will follow me to see what's going on, but if you keep chatting with him- calmly- he'll get the picture. The cat your watching might not settle down for you at all- because your not his owner and he wants to know what you did with his owners.. You need to spend enough time playing with him and giving him love- that's what's more important right now. If he gets too stressed out he could seriously make himself physically sick. That's why you need to remain calm and yes-- reward him when he's good
Good luck, and keep us updated

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a siamese cat, & I agree that they are very vocal. Its almost like they are talking to you. He needs a lot of love, attention and less spraying. The spray should only be used to keep him out of danger, and bad behaviors such as scratching the furniture. Try more love for him and he will respond to you and decide to love you.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

Yes, I do agree with what you say. I can relate since I have a siamese of my own. But when he tries bolting out the door she needs to be prepared ahead of time. I think if you are going to use a spray bottle just keep it at the front door for only whenyou are entering.
Yes, she does need to be prepared, but a squirt bottle is simply not the way to accomplish this. She can use her hands, or jacket or a towel, anything really to simply block and move him back away from the door as she enters. Spraying a cat, ANY cat, with water is, IMO a drastic measure best kept for those times when extreme measures are indicated, such as when danger or risk of injury exists. There are other, much more effective, kind ways of proceeding if door rushing is the issue, which it seems to be in this instance.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Yes, she does need to be prepared, but a squirt bottle is simply not the way to accomplish this. She can use her hands, or jacket or a towel, anything really to simply block and move him back away from the door as she enters. Spraying a cat, ANY cat, with water is, IMO a drastic measure best kept for those times when extreme measures are indicated, such as when danger or risk of injury exists. There are other, much more effective, kind ways of proceeding if door rushing is the issue, which it seems to be in this instance.
First of all, your kitties are sooo cute
I just love the look of siamese cats.. so adorable.

I understand your point of view. I think she's tried this before... I have been reading her posts since she first started catsitting. With the cat I have now ,PHX, I never squirt him because he's a pretty good cat and there's really no big issues with him. But in the past, I had a cat that I had to use a squirt bottle with him- occasionally- and after a few times squirting him- he got the point and I never had to do it again! I feel personally, that as long as your not over doing it- it's ok. Now when she squirts him for grabbing her ankles or biting- then I would just say "NO" I wouldn't overdo the squirting. But everyone has their own opinions.
I was just stating mine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks guys. This is really helping me a lot. I will go way less on the spraying or just leave it at the door and perhaps I can stop all together once we have some sort of routine. Last year when I catsat him, he was aggressive but he slowly ended up just laying in my lap and just relax quietly as I pet his head. Now, he seems to get overly stimulated. I watch the tail, then stop petting and go back to playing. Seems to work. My cats who are Tabby's get some much physical contact from me that they can be rolled around the bed or floor with out any aggression. I'm so use to massage my kitties and wish he would let me. He just gets so worked up. I hope we can eventually make it to that point where I can at least massage him.

What really sucks is that I have to work. Otherwise I'd spend more time with him. The weekends will be good though cuz I can devote 2+ hours with him.

Yeah know one thing I did forget to mention was that, as I sat there waiting for him to come back to me, and mind you, he stopped playing cuz he got tired, he eventually got up and walked right up to me and put his paws on my chest and sniffed my face. I got a little concerned because I was afraid he'd bite my face but he did ok. I pet his head a lot and I do talk quite a bit with him as I do my own kitties. I'm a talker and I try to explain things to them so they understand. With Boomer I keep telling him his parents are away but love him and will return soon. I also want to try bending down all the way when he does the attacking thing to my ankles to see if he stops or to see what he does. Treats? Yeah, I gotta get some for him ASAP.

Thanks guys. You're the best!!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to butt my nose in here. My personal feelings on water spraying is a definite NO. As Gaye said there are other more gentle and kinder ways to get your message across to the cat.

I feel really bad for that poor kitty. It sounds as though he misses his humans very much and needs extra love and attention. Even though we are home pretty much every night and we are forever loving on Bijou he often "asks" for more attention. He'll start purring and slowing blink his eyes when we just look at him and talk to him before we even touch him.

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No please...there is no butting in. Just jump in!!! By all means.

You guys are awesome. I am learning so much and am so glad you guys are here for me. Thank you so much.

I feel so bad for him also and wish I could give him more of my time.
*BIG SIGH*

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know everyone is concerned about this little guy but as a meowmy to a Siamese mix I do find this amusing. Luckily my Viola is very food oriented so the first thing she wants is to be fed. I think if this cat gets to trust you and realize you are coming back and he's not going to be abandoned he'll calm down.

Keep writing.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

First of all, your kitties are sooo cute
I just love the look of siamese cats.. so adorable.

I understand your point of view. I think she's tried this before... I have been reading her posts since she first started catsitting. With the cat I have now ,PHX, I never squirt him because he's a pretty good cat and there's really no big issues with him. But in the past, I had a cat that I had to use a squirt bottle with him- occasionally- and after a few times squirting him- he got the point and I never had to do it again! I feel personally, that as long as your not over doing it- it's ok. Now when she squirts him for grabbing her ankles or biting- then I would just say "NO" I wouldn't overdo the squirting. But everyone has their own opinions.
I was just stating mine
I second this. To me as a professional pet sitter the very first concern (see previous posts) is keeping the cat in the apartment. Since he has some aggressive tendencies he could be very difficult to recover should he dart out of the door. While getting wet may not be the nicest option it beats being lost, injured or even killed and it does him no physical harm. Especially since you are not a professional and in all likelihood are not insured to be a pet sitter. You may be best friends with your neighbor but you never know how someone might react to an accident in this day and age it pays to be overcautious.

With regards to his biting and hanging on your ankles there are undoubtedly other solutions to the problem. Half of working with animals is trying things and seeing what works with their individual characteristics While biting isn't behavior anyone looks forward to, your jeans and socks offer you protection, though it would be in your best interest to be certain of the cat's shot records.

Finally, you as a nice neighbor spend much more time with the cat than many professional sitters do. Most sits last 30 to 45 minutes and for cats most sitters only go once a day, though we could go more depending on what the owner thinks is best. Just a kudos to you and your investment in the cat's happiness.
I do not agree with one response that suggests that you are not spending enough time with him. On the contrary, it sounds like you are going out of your way to ensure his comfort and quality of interaction while his owner is away. I hope that person realizes what a great neighbor they have!!!

Keep up your great efforts to entertain this bundle of personality and don't be afraid to add extra socks!!!

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last year when I sat for them, I had told them I had stayed with him an hour or so each night and spend two 1 hour or so visits with him on Saturday and Sunday. They were shocked and didn't understand why I stayed so long. I told them I just couldn't leave him and that he was meowing so much. I could just tell he was upset. They are both an elderly couple so they don't do a lot around the apartment. The husband is using a walker to get around and his wife probably does more of the entertaining of Boomer and Puss Puss. Puss Puss does not come out at all and I feel bad for her cuz she is probably suffering in silence. But she is closer to the door then she was last year and I try to get her to come out as well. I wave and say "Hi sweetie, I'm here". But she never comes out. The couple told me when they gave me the key this time that Boomer has been a bad boy. He bit both of them. They petted him and perhaps too long and he bit them. I told them he may have gotten overly stimulated but they didn't seem to understand and now they don't trust him.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

... To me as a professional pet sitter the very first concern (see previous posts) is keeping the cat in the apartment.
I couldn't agree with you more than I do on this aspect of her issue ... however, there are other, just-as-effective and less-invasively-personal ways to do it - while I respect your expertise as a professional, I do have a lifetime worth of experience with cats, Siamese cats in particular. It is not now, nor has it ever been my experience that any animal responds well to a personal attack. And think whatever you like, but squirting a cat with a spray bottle is a personal attack.

Since he has some aggressive tendencies
From the sound of things, this little boy most certainly does NOT have "aggressive tendencies"!! He is scared, he is lonely, he misses his people, his routines, his habits - everything that was safe and comfortable for him has changed, dramatically. He isn't showing aggression, he is showing NEED. He shouldn't be treated as an aggressor. He should be treated with kindness, compassion and caring to the extreme right now. He isn't wrapping his paws around her ankles and nipping at her to be ugly - he is doing it to let her know in the only ways he can that he is very, very upset. This is NOT aggression and shouldn't be treated as such.

... he could be very difficult to recover should he dart out of the door. While getting wet may not be the nicest option it beats being lost, injured or even killed and it does him no physical harm.
Granted that getting out of the door is a huge concern. BUT - if she takes a moment to place her jacket, a towel or other item inside the opening to block and then gently push him back away from the door, this shouldn't happen if one keeps their wits about them. Don't panic, don't raise your voice, speak gently to the cat, saying "Hello" and "How are you today" in a baby-talk kind of tone will help to calm the animal, allow him to hear a loving, caring voice and to know that no harm will come to him so he shouldn't feel the need to dart out of the door to escape it. And while spraying may not do any physical harm, it most certainly can and does create an environment of distrust. How would YOU like it if every time you went to the door to greet a visitor, that visitor drenched you with water? It would get to the point where you wouldn't trust that visitor anymore and in response, you may even take measures to protect yourself by becoming aggressive.

Especially since you are not a professional and in all likelihood are not insured to be a pet sitter. You may be best friends with your neighbor but you never know how someone might react to an accident in this day and age it pays to be overcautious.
Being overcautious is one thing, being mean is another. Spraying a cat with water every time you enter their environment is just plain mean. And it won't solve the problem - in fact, it may even make it worse for her.

... Half of working with animals is trying things and seeing what works with their individual characteristics. While biting isn't behavior anyone looks forward to, your jeans and socks offer you protection, though it would be in your best interest to be certain of the cat's shot records.
Exactly! Knowing that this cat is scared, unable to understand why his people are not there and caring for him and getting used to a new routine is half the battle in being able to appropriately care for him. By knowing these things, one can help him to be calm, accept his temporary situation and be less stressed. This and ONLY this will help to prevent a bite or other injury.

Finally, you as a nice neighbor spend much more time with the cat than many professional sitters do. Most sits last 30 to 45 minutes and for cats most sitters only go once a day, though we could go more depending on what the owner thinks is best.
This is precisely why I do not hire professional pet sitters when I need someone to care for my cats. A trusted neighbor or family member will spend more time with my guys and give them the attention they require - which is more than 30 to 45 minutes only once per day. I am not at all trying to be ugly here, but honestly my dear, your business will do much, much better if you cater to the animals you serve - and stop charging around the time factor. Leaving a detailed note to the owners about each visit, activities, cute things their pets did, how much food they ate or medicines they received is another good way of endearing yourself to your clients.

Just a kudos to you and your investment in the cat's happiness.
I do not agree with one response that suggests that you are not spending enough time with him. On the contrary, it sounds like you are going out of your way to ensure his comfort and quality of interaction while his owner is away. I hope that person realizes what a great neighbor they have!!!
I respect your right to disagree, but in the many, many years I have of caring for Siamese cats, I think I know a little bit about this - and while you may think 30 minutes once per day is sufficient, it is obvious to me that this Siamese cat doesn't agree with you. I also think she is a wonderful neighbor (wished she lived closer!!) to do this, however, as my dear, departed Father used to say to me, "If you are going to do a job, do it right or don't do it at all." And to do this right, it requires quality time spent with the cat.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatSitterBea

The couple told me when they gave me the key this time that Boomer has been a bad boy. He bit both of them. They petted him and perhaps too long and he bit them. I told them he may have gotten overly stimulated but they didn't seem to understand and now they don't trust him.
Is he neutered?

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually I don't know. I guess I just assumed he was. She said after the biting incidents, she took him to the vet. If he got shots I don't know. I never thought to ask.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he isn't neutered, that could explain a LOT of things ... not just the biting and nipping at your ankles, but also the easy overstimulation, the other cat hiding all the time and the fact that he bit the owners.

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh boy. I hope he is neutered. Poor baby if he's not.

I'm gonna try what I learned today. I have some towels. Brand new ones. I'll bring that with me. He also seems to calm down when I lay low as oppose to standing up and walking.

I will also get some pics of him tonight and post them tomorrow so you can see little Boomer.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like it is more than just lonliness -- it sounds like this cat gets over-stimulated very easily (the biting, leg grabbing, vocalization...). Personally, if he were mine, I would find it quite burdensome if I couldn't leave without the cat freaking out. I hope that the elderly owners don't find him to be more then they can handle. Do you think this is normal or is there some kind of medication that would make him less easily stimulated?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, I have a real problem with medicating to calm - whether it's kids or animals.

I have to say Bijou was a little ankle nipper when he was a kitten. I would just stop and stand very still and say NO loudly. He grew out of it by about 1 year old and hasn't bitten or scratched since. In fact, he is very very gentle.