Today/c-span recall hearing live-2PM EDT

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are interested in the Senate hearing about the pet food recall....
It will be broadcast live today on C-Span.

Scroll to 2PM...
http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:808...n/schedule.csp

You might be able to get it on the net.
If you find out how...
please post it here.

Lets hope they get some answers about what happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is how to watch and listen from your computer....
I had to download Real Player....
I am not sure that is necessary but it worked for me.
There is a download link on this page...lower left.
http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:808...n/schedule.csp

I clicked the current LIVE program under C-Span...
it took me to the live page ...
directly to the upper right you have a choice of watch or listen.
That should do it.

If you can simplify my instructions...
please do.

I hope lots of us watch...
the safety of our pet's food is at stake...
Get involved....

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have it on now and all I can say is God Bless Sentor Bird from West Virgina, he talked about his dog and his wife and then wanted to ask the guy from the FDA some questions and then he ask them to put the guy under oath.. That was great

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

I have it on now and all I can say is God Bless Sentor Bird from West Virgina, he talked about his dog and his wife and then wanted to ask the guy from the FDA some questions and then he ask them to put the guy under oath.. That was great
AMEN //// Anyone able to find a print version.. I have no sound on my computer and like to read anyhow

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to try and summarize what happened but instead I will see if there will be a written copy somewhere.
It was 2 hours long.

Bottom line ....
The pet food industry is a mess.
There is little regulation.
Menu Foods waited 3 weeks from the time they knew there was a problem with their food before they notified the FDA.

I hope that someone more articulate than I am helps here.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
only 34 states are regulated with FDA regualtions when it comes to pet food inspections, others are "privately contracted out." Only 1/3 of the pet food plants are inspected 3 times within three years. I saw a lot of posturing and backpedaling. God bless Senator Durbin for staying on point and getting tough. But IMO the whole 2 hours accomplished little in finding out the answers plus spokespersons for menufoods was noticeably absent.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

But IMO the whole 2 hours accomplished little in finding out the answers plus spokespersons for menufoods was noticeably absent.
I agree...
Thanks MA.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a representative from Menu Foods won't appear voluntarily a subpeona should be issued to force testamony at the hearings.

I'm off to find avideo or audio replay pf the hearings.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading that summary I'm even less confident in the abilities of any of the involved organizations. They are all evading responsibility and trying to defend their own turf.

Dr. Hodgkins and Dr. Kirk, as private parties with no institutions to defend, seemed more willing to discuss the flaws in the current system. I hope the FDA and Senators were listening.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee hearing yesterday, U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) called on the Bush Administration and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to take meaningful action in addressing problems in federal regulation of the pet food industry.

http://www.durbin.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=272317

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

At the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee hearing yesterday, U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) called on the Bush Administration and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to take meaningful action in addressing problems in federal regulation of the pet food industry.

http://www.durbin.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=272317
I applaud Senator Durbin for being proactive on this issue. I'm pessimistic and cynical about government, however, and am not expecting meaningful action anytime soon.

For now we, as pet owners, have to be knowledgeable about the foods we feed our pets. I know that I'm reading labels more carefully and investigating where foods are made.