How I Now Owe My Life To An Onion

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made myself a toasted sandwich for lunch (for those who are interested, it's ham, cheese and onion, and I shouldn't have bothered with the onion.) and I nearly killed myself in the process. Well done me!

Everything was fine until I came to take the toastie out - the sandwich maker had ticked, the cheese was bubbling satisfyingly, and it smelt good. Then I noticed the onion was still out on the side - So I grabbed some clingfilm to wrap it up with, and stick it back into the fridge. I'm mid-wrap,worrying about my sandwich 'cos it'll be getting burnt, so I turn and look at the toastie maker, just in time to see a massive spark fly off of it and a hear a huge bang.
The toastie maker cuts out, and I gingerly take the lid off...

Yes, I frazzled the wire.

Eating it, I realise that the onion was a bad decision - Or was it? Had I not put the onion in, I would've been standing directly next to it when it happened, and probably got shocked. I think I need a stiff drink to get over this...

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have made cheese, tomato and onion

I would have also kept an eye on the wiring- unfortunately some of these sandwich makers aren't the best

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*Whsipers* The wiring is fine... I just didn't check that it wasn't <i>in</i> the sandwich maker before putting the lid down, lol.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ham, cheese and onion sounds yummy to me. I would've added Picalilly (sp).

You definitely deserve a stiff drink after that!

Edit - you cooked the wire?!
Eew, that must've added a yuck flavour.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by horseygal90

*Whsipers* The wiring is fine... I just didn't check that it wasn't <i>in</i> the sandwich maker before putting the lid down, lol.
Oops!!! Lol, we all do things like that now and then...

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that totally sounds like something I would do ...

For the record, though, when our oven caught fire it had nothing to do with me (other than the fact that I was the first one to notice it). The element was bad. I did not stick anything in the oven that wasn't supposed to be in there.

That time, anyway ...

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did that to a sandwich toaster at uni
I had to replace it quickly as the toastie maker was a large part of our 'staple' diet
I went out that same day to get a new one through fear that my uni friends would starve!!!!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yummy!! We have something similar we cook on the grill~we use, cheese,tomato,onion on thick texas toast~it is very good!!

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dad once cooked a pizza with the polystyrene left on the bottom... Didn't get a meal that night!

Parents came home, didn't notice the lack of plastic around most of the wire and tidied it away
Had to actually point it out to them why I wasn't going to be using it tomorrow!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

Wow, that totally sounds like something I would do ...

For the record, though, when our oven caught fire it had nothing to do with me (other than the fact that I was the first one to notice it). The element was bad. I did not stick anything in the oven that wasn't supposed to be in there.

That time, anyway ...
And for Best Use Of Varying Type Sizes For Comic Effect, the winner is... Mirinae!

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a serious note - Glad to hear you were not injured

On a lighter note - you still ate the toastie after it was electrocuted and frazzled?

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they will save you if you get stung by a wasp and are allergic.the onion enzymes will nutralise the venom.Saying that u have to eat half a raw onion,so i guess if the wasp doesnt get u,the onion will

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fyi:
Hubby tried to cook grilled cheese on one of those one day and long story short, it ended up in the trash. He was mad because the sandwich got stuck and he couldn't get it off the sandwich maker, so after it cooled down, into the trash it went.
I guess we won't be getting another one of those anytime soon.

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by minxie

On a lighter note - you still ate the toastie after it was electrocuted and frazzled?
I was really hungry, and determined that the toastie maker wasn't going to beat me!