I just had the local police at my door!

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was like "Have I done something wrong"? They were looking for someone who gave them my address, and they had a warrent for her arrest..They just asked me my name and then went walking around the neighborhood. What was weird is that they parked their car in front of my next door neighbor, not in front of my house. They didn't ask me for any ID or anything, just asked name and how long I have lived here. I think they also may have looked inside my mailbox because all of my mail had been shuffled around. Now I see a police car driving down the road every now and then, and down my alley..I have no idea what this person has done, but to use my address..how dare her..

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that sucks,
there is some guy around here with the same name as me.
the police have come out here several times looking for him, gee i wonder how many john smiths doors they show up at.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG! That would be a bit intimidating--not to mention irritating because some criminal used your address! Hopefully, they ind that person and you don't have to deal with anything else!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG... I had that happen once 3 years ago. Except the Sheriff showed up at 10:30 at night. Scared me to death!. He also parked next door. Seems this woman gave my address. Then the Sheriff asked about all my neighbors, how long they lived there etc.

He actually showed me the arrest and search warrents for this person and MY address! I never did find out who this person was or what they did and I live in a town of 1500 people. Really creepy!

that it is all over and nothing more comes of this for you.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm.. that's weird- there's nothing more scary then having the cops show up at your door- when you KNOW that you didn't do anything wrong... Hopefully they figure that one out soon

Hey, I think this is my 100th Post on TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that I must have had a very funny look on my face when I saw them. I knew that I hadn't done anything wrong, but I thought maybe it was about my one of my kids..I actually had a small "panic" at first..

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My guess is the person actually lives in your neighborhood, possibly on your street, and gave the police your address because it was easy to think up on the spot. All you need to know is the general street names and number, and you can whip yourself up a fake address easily because you know it exists, and you can call out the zip code like a reflex.

That's probably why the police are still hanging around. They probably believe you, but have suspicions that the person lives near you.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we once had the sherriff bang on our front door at 6:30 am ! Our neighbors porch was on fire nothing big, or anything i didnt even hear no fire trucks and such but they thought we had known something about it
mind u we were all sleeping! Like we were going to be sitting outside at 5 am
not only that but the neighbor is enimies with everyone
always had been and always finding ways to start trouble and his mom owns a few property's over here so he always slips through the cracks so to speak! his yard is a mess and well we had to put railings on all of our steps in our yard (new borough rule) and he didnt have to and his steps are steeper than anyones around here
Ok imma stop complaining but had to share my story

But that is so ignorant that someone gave ur house as theirs, at least they werent mean about it u know! I think everyone gets panicy when the cops are there for a reason no one knows

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a bit weird & scary.

Cops never do park in front of the house they are about to arrest someone from. There's a house a few doors down on the opposite side of the street that gets a bit of police action and the police never park near it when they do their police business.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

that sucks,
there is some guy around here with the same name as me.
the police have come out here several times looking for him, gee i wonder how many john smiths doors they show up at.
I once witnessed an arrest of a man with the same name and similar looks to the guy they really wanted!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is scary!!! Once they find the person, they can also fine them for false information.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I once witnessed an arrest of a man with the same name and similar looks to the guy they really wanted!
lol you where in cleveland at a taco bell 22 years ago

something like that .

me and a friend where sittign at taco bell having lunch cops show up guns out, point them at me and ben. hauled us off to the police stataion, towing his car. before finding out we where not the 2 guys that robbed a bank couple of streets over

fun part was they made him pay the towing fee to get his car back

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

something like that .

me and a friend where sittign at taco bell having lunch cops show up guns out, point them at me and ben. hauled us off to the police stataion, towing his car. before finding out we where not the 2 guys that robbed a bank couple of streets over

Bruce that is freaking CRAZY OMG

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep your doors and windows locked, that must mean there's some sort of criminal running around your neighborhood!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

something like that .

WTH? I would've sued for wrongful arrest, emotional distress, and for financial losses suffered because I couldn't finish the burrito that I paid for.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is also possible that the address was just a typo. They might have transposed the numbers or dropped on. Which is another reason they're hanging around.

I once had several nasty phone messages left from a water company in Florida. They were threatening to turn my water off if I didn't pay my bill. I live in New Jersey! When I finally got back to them, they kept calling me by a different name! I finally convinced the person they had the wrong phone number. It didn't occur to them that the area code wasn't in Florida! Seems the Florida person had the same phone number but with a 772 area code and I'm in 732.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

WTH? I would've sued for wrongful arrest, emotional distress, and for financial losses suffered because I couldn't finish the burrito that I paid for.
people where not sue happy back then, lol and no one would ever beleave me if i claimed emotional distress

hmm but you are right about the lost burrito

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago I lived in an extremely sketchy neighbourhood, where there were fights all the time, my roommates left guns lying around, and the cops often appeared at random times of the day and night because of some sort of violence or larceny. Anyway ...
One day the police came and did a walk-through of our house because it had the same floorplan as our next-door neighbours' house. It turned out that the neighbours were drug dealers and the cops were planning a raid. (Although why they would let a civilian in on that information is beyond me ... At least my roommates -- who were pretty scary guys in their own right -- had the good sense to put their guns away.)

Now, where I live, we get phone calls all the time from collections agencies trying to track down this one guy. He hasn't had that phone number for at least five years, but I guess it's all the agencies have to go on. They're always very good when we explain that we aren't him, we don't know him and we don't know how to get in touch with him, but then a few months down the line they call back looking for him.