low magnesium dry food help?

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who has UTI troubles, and 5 other cats who don't. They get wet in addition to their dry. Right now they are on California Natural dry, which has .12% magnesium. Someone on here told me to keep the magnesium in dry to .09% or lower. Are there any good quality dry foods that have lower magnesium. I would love to switch them to an all wet diet, but I have a few who refuse, so I need a good food that will work for everyone, in case the UTI kitty gets into it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do they have allergies ???

Have there been crystals??

Ages of cats ??

Wet is best

Certified Uti dry are
Max cat adult and lite by Nutro
Purina one and Purina pro plan both have one...

Uti ceterfied means TESTING has SHOWN the food to be effective

There are others that CLaim to help but read the % ages ..

Most important magnesium should be under.09 ... ( I prefer .085 in dry

What wet are they getting??? Wet is actually much easier to do for UTI health as MANY fall under the % ages

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Do they have allergies ???

Have there been crystals??

Ages of cats ??

Wet is best

Certified Uti dry are
Max cat adult and lite by Nutro
Purina one and Purina pro plan both have one...

Uti ceterfied means TESTING has SHOWN the food to be effective

There are others that CLaim to help but read the % ages ..

Most important magnesium should be under.09 ... ( I prefer .085 in dry

What wet are they getting??? Wet is actually much easier to do for UTI health as MANY fall under the % ages
Henry- male 1.5 years, has crystals, getting surgery on Friday to expand urethra.

Captain-5 year old male, no health issues
Kahlua-5 year old female, no health issues
Sushi-3 year old female, no health issues
Bert-1.5 year old male, no health issues
Olivia-1 year old female, no health issues

They eat Natural Balance wet, mixed with some warm water as well for added moisture, or Merrick occasionally. Henry eats the Hill's C/D. Like I said, I would like to make them eat an all wet diet but a few won't have it. I refuse to change everyone over to Hill's C/D dry because the ingredients are crap, and the dry is only out for snacking. I also don't like the ingredients in the Purina one, pro plan, or nutro. I want to find a super premium dry that has low magnesium that would work for all my cats, since a few insist on having dry as well as their wet.
Also some suggestions for some other good wet foods would be appreciated.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Due to him needing sugery ... You need to talk with your vet .. see sturvite crystals can often be OTC managed Oxalate though usually need Rx..
If you dont like C/D talk to your vet about Waltham/ RC or purina IMHO they have better ingrediants in a RX ...

Super premiums I have yet to find a certified one and would nt use a non in a case of UTI issues( FYI the holistic vet I go to can tell that your feeding a "super premium " when you have this issue )... see corn or corn gluten meal balence the mg cal and phos in chn

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he has struvite crystals, not oxalate. He's getting the surgery to widen his urethra and essentially make him a female. I need to go get more food tonight as they are totaly out of their California Natural. Looks like Felidae and Wellness have mag. of .095...is that good?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TOO high from my research and what the vet told me ... My guess is the fish in both push them too high ...

Get him WET food ...

mag should be .022

Many foods fall under this ..

What foods are accesable ..??

Solid gold??
Natural balence??

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

TOO high from my research and what the vet told me ... My guess is the fish in both push them too high ...

Get him WET food ...

mag should be .022

Many foods fall under this ..

What foods are accesable ..??

Solid gold??
Natural balence??
He DOES eat wet food, I need a dry food, because my other cats want dry, and there is no way, short of locking Henry up in a room by himself, to keep Henry from snacking on the dry. Henry's main diet IS wet, but on occasion he will snack on the dry, so I need something that is safe for him to eat, but also that is not garbage food, because I won't feed that to my cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You likely need a RX which isnt great ingrediants but IS designed for you kitties issue.. There are times that we all have to look and go .. Kitty has a problem and the foods designed for it arent my idea of good but my idea of good MAY be helping to cause the issue

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, I know he needs RX food, which he is eating, canned. But I will not feed garbage to my other cats who do not have UTI or any other health issues. So what i'm looking for is a food that will not hurt him if he snacks on it occasionally. The food I am feeding now is California Natural Chicken and rice, which has a magnesium content of .12%, which is too high. So, do any foods exist that have an appropriate magnesium content for a cat that has UTI's but does not eat dry hardly ever. I just need it to be safe for him to snack on when he feels the need, but I feed himoften enough throughout the day with his wet RX food that he does not eat much of the dry. I have a lot available to me, and am willing to order online if I have to.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mean to butt in...forgive me.

I had a similar problem. I thought and thought about all of the numbers and ingredients until my head hurt. The only practical solution ended up being a wet diet, for everyone. Kibble detox was tough, but all 8 of mine conformed.

I'm a novice in the nutrition dept but I think what Sharky was trying to say is that your super-premium foods are generally too high in the mineral dept for a crystal prone cat...and the corn, however hard it is to deal with ...is in the c/d and other urinary formulas, for a reason - acidification...or balance as sharky said.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natural choice and Solid gold are "safe" not perfect but safer than current

I use Solid gold with one as snacks who has Uti issues.. the same cat sneeks Natural choice ..
Natural choice is .088mag ... Solid gold I used to know I think it is .9

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

The only practical solution ended up being a wet diet, for everyone. Kibble detox was tough, but all 8 of mine conformed.
Sorry, I forgot something...I didn't mean the "only" practical solution, I meant the only practical solution for my cats ..IF I wanted to get away from free feeding the rx food.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin special 33 has magnesium at .08% I fed this to my uti kitty and he did fine. My only problem with this food is the current scare of wheat gluten. This food does have wheat gluten but is probably the best you can get for low magnesium.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

Royal Canin special 33 has magnesium at .08% I fed this to my uti kitty and he did fine. My only problem with this food is the current scare of wheat gluten. This food does have wheat gluten but is probably the best you can get for low magnesium.
Thank you ... I knew some RC s were but I will write this one down

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another question...all the grain free foods, such as raw, EVO, Nature's Variety, have outrageous magnesium levels, but these are supposedly the best...would a uti prone kitty do well on raw or grain free?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine does well with raw and some canned... but she also has kindey issues and my vet works closely with me ...

I suspect it is the fish in the no grains

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

so the lack of fish and grains overrides the amount of magnesium?
Not the high amount of fish in the no grain... see fish is grd up with the cartilage unlike items with bone that only a little bone is allowed in the "meal" ... fish is high in mag usually ... grains actually balence some meat s mainly chicken

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Natural choice and Solid gold are "safe" not perfect but safer than current

I use Solid gold with one as snacks who has Uti issues.. the same cat sneeks Natural choice ..
Natural choice is .088mag ... Solid gold I used to know I think it is .9
solid gold is .14% as fed and .15% on a dry matter basis, according to one of their reps who e-mailed me.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

solid gold is .14% as fed and .15% on a dry matter basis, according to one of their reps who e-mailed me.
so .14% is bad, because thats high?