Scotty and Oscar modeling their new litterbox

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, how nice! How elaborate, I have never seen one like that, looks like they really like.

And the models are just adorable!

Do they go onto the grate and it drops down into the box?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I like that - no flinging, no tracking, no peeing over the edge, and looks like furniture.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Now I like that - no flinging, no tracking, no peeing over the edge, and looks like furniture.
My cats would never pee outside of the box, but there is tracking that I have to clean up every single day.

Both of them used to vomit on the carpet and I used to get upset--they both decided to vomit instead in their food bowls.

They don't vomit anymore after I changed their food and what time they eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

Well, how nice! How elaborate, I have never seen one like that, looks like they really like.

And the models are just adorable!

Do they go onto the grate and it drops down into the box?
Yep!

Originally Posted by TiffanyL

I've never seen anything like it, that's very cool!
Thanks! I asked my dad to make it and he basically did the rest.

Originally Posted by Epona

Exactly!!!! I've noticed a HUGE decrease in tracking so far.

Originally Posted by silentNate

You can have the litter box...

I love the kitchen
The kitchen is great, but I'm telling you, there still isn't enough cabinet space, lol. We store a lot of items on top of the cabinets.

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Very nice!! blends right in
Thanks! It matches even more so because my dad also made our TV stand and DVD racks, both made with the same wood and stain. I love my daddy!
(Even if I am 24 and married, lol)

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is WAY COOL! I am going to have to show my Step Dad those photos and say......please, please please.......I am so sick of having rubbermaid totes in my living room.

Very beautiful Models too

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very nice. My silly kitties would probably stand on the platform and do their business thinking it was going into the litter..
You have very cute models.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks great and it looks like the kitties like it too! Matches well with your kitchen cabinets, I must say

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel silly asking this. So, how exactly does this work? They climb into the back behind the grate, use the litter box, then jump up on the grating? Or ? LOL I am confused. Beautiful models

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I feel silly asking this. So, how exactly does this work? They climb into the back behind the grate, use the litter box, then jump up on the grating? Or ? LOL I am confused. Beautiful models
Haha I am not the only one wondering this! Yea how does it work?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting looking litter box.

I keep my cat litter box in the bathroom.

My cats would never use a wooden grate to do their business. Abby might because she hates getting her paws dirty, but Chynna would never. She loves to dig in the litter too much.

Might I offer you a suggestion? Seeing that the box is wood, it will absorb smells, especially if urine gets on it and soaks in, especially on the particle board at the bottom which is basically glue and saw dust pressed together to form a piece of board.

What you should do is give it several (3 or more) coats of clear varethane in order to seal the wood and particle board. This will prevent the wood from picking up the smell of urine or absorbing it if it spills/drips onto it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

What an interesting design. How creative. Make me one?
Not sure if my dad is taking orders...he still has a shotglass display case to build and my mom has a list of rhim too. lol

Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Haha I am not the only one wondering this! Yea how does it work?
yes, the point of the grating is to prevent litter from tracking all over the place...when they walk on the grating, litter will fall in the cracks of it, right back down into the box. So far, it's worked BEAUTIFULLY

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Interesting looking litter box.

I keep my cat litter box in the bathroom.

My cats would never use a wooden grate to do their business. Abby might because she hates getting her paws dirty, but Chynna would never. She loves to dig in the litter too much.

Might I offer you a suggestion? Seeing that the box is wood, it will absorb smells, especially if urine gets on it and soaks in, especially on the particle board at the bottom which is basically glue and saw dust pressed together to form a piece of board.

What you should do is give it several (3 or more) coats of clear varethane in order to seal the wood and particle board. This will prevent the wood from picking up the smell of urine or absorbing it if it spills/drips onto it.
We had a regular litterbox in the laundry room, but when we have guests over, it'd be nice to close that room off. With this new box, it'll be great because it doesn't look like a litterbox and we can still close off the laundry room.

I know my dad sealed everything and then stained it (not sure about the particle board though). The cats aren't "supposed" to go potty ON the grating, but rather under or behind it. The grating is simple a way to allow litter to fall off their paws and back down into the plastic box below. So far they've been smart enough to know how it works.